New respect for this 2012 FZ8!

stratagem

What a terrible way to start! I'm a new rider and I severely underestimated the power of these beast.

Here is how it happened...

My bike was just delivered yesterday. Being the impatient man that I am I wanted to ride it that day. My thoughts were to head down to High school since they have a huge, open parking lot that I could practice in. It's literally 3 blocks down the street from me.

I pulled the bike out, lined her up with my drive way and started her up. Everything was great so far... Then I started to release the clutch and she died. She died on me a few times as I was trying to learn the "sweet spot". Being a new rider I was also hesitant to give her any gas. After this happened a few times I started to get frustrated. The smart thing to do would have been to walk away. Instead I gave her more gas and then I lost it. She took off and I must have pulled the gas back more as this happened because the next thing I know I'm slammed up against my SUV and then on the ground.

It didn't do a lot of damage to the bike that I can tell. Just a minor crack on the headlight. The SUV is a little dinged up but not terrible. My leg was scrapped pretty good and it is still sore but I'll live.

Now I'm waiting for a class to open up. Around here they seem to have pretty big waiting list. I'm also waiting for one of my experienced and already endorsed biker friends to come to my house and drive the bike for me to the parking lot.

This riding thing isn't as easy as it looks! ;)

9 Lives

I would recommend starting out with something smaller like a 250 dirt or street bike and when your are comfortable on that, then try the 8.

b-eock

I started on the 8 as my first legal street bike. Right before I turned 17. Of course I've been riding for years already.... I wish you luck and safety

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dtbrown

Seems like you were using the gas to control the engagement rather than the clutch. When I first was tought to drive stick/ bike many years ago I was shown is to give it a set amount of gas and hold it and then use the clutch to ease into the take off. And practice a bunch of slow take offs and stops until you get the feel for it.

As you get more comfortable then work on "rolling" or easy engagement of the gas along with the clutch to where the transition becomes smoother and more comfortable. It's easier to practice this on this on an smaller bike because its more forgiving.

Personally me learning to drive a stick shift helped me understand and transition the clutch portion of starting off with a bike.

Hope that made sense. Be careful and good luck.

aj700

You will fall down couple of times no matter its 200cc or 800cc (from my own exp :D) It will be easy on your body and wallet if its a 200cc, thats why every one is saying so. Dont worry. Take your time, it will get easier.

Tango59

Hang out with folks that ride and get the basics from them and then as soon as you can take a MSF course do it. When you start to get the hang of it ride with friends and never try to keep up their pace. Ride your own ride. you'll get it !!!

RoadKill

whiskey throttle strikes again :) this is not a beginners bike but you already have it... you are getting instruction and that is the best thing at this point. and as mentioned above RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE. can not be stressed enough.
never try to keep up with others past your comfort level.

stratagem

So it's called whiskey throttle? I did not know that. I just know it's not fun. :D

I'm not trying to keep up with anyone right now. I just want the ability to leave the driveway without crashing into one of my cars.

NORE

Good luck on your new journey. Remember always to wear your protective equipment even on a short trip.

b-eock

Gloves, helmet, full shoes, no tank tops. Just smart stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

9 Lives

Are you a troll? 100% serious.

Not sure if he is a troll, my guess is that he is young and not so bright. At least get the hang of riding a motorcycle on a cheaper, lighter bike before riding an "adult" bike. Or better yet, take a bike course, they supply the bikes and will teach you how to ride. Shame to see a brand new bike like this damaged the first time you try to ride it, but hey its his money and pain he will have to suffer. Nobody could tell me anything either at his age. C'est la vie.

Last edited:

stratagem

Are you a troll? 100% serious.

I'm not a troll. I'm sorry if that is how I'm acting.

Not sure if he is a troll, my guess is that he is young and not so bright. At least get the hang of riding a motorcycle on a cheaper, lighter bike before riding an "adult" bike. Or better yet, take a bike course, they supply the bikes and will teach you how to ride. Shame to see a brand new bike like this damaged the first time you try to ride it, but hey its his money and pain he will have to suffer. Nobody could tell me anything either at his age. C'est la vie.

Not that young and I'm plenty bright. I didn't want to buy a smaller 250 just to quickly get bored with it. I had one accident and I'll try my best not to have another. The brand new bike will be taken care of. The headlight will be replaced and if there is any other damage that too will be fixed. So far the pain and money have been minimal.

Gary

I'm not a troll. I'm sorry if that is how I'm acting.

Not that young and I'm plenty bright. I didn't want to buy a smaller 250 just to quickly get bored with it. I had one accident and I'll try my best not to have another. The brand new bike will be taken care of. The headlight will be replaced and if there is any other damage that too will be fixed. So far the pain and money have been minimal.

You don't have to explain yourself to anyone here that is insulting you. Take a riding course, buy protective equipment and have fun riding your new bike.