New respect for this 2012 FZ8!

9 Lives

You don't have to explain yourself to anyone here that is insulting you. Take a riding course, buy protective equipment and have fun riding your new bike.

It wasn't an insult, just my opinion, everybody has an opinion. Like I said C'est la vie, no skin off my butt.

9 Lives

I'm not a troll. I'm sorry if that is how I'm acting.

Not that young and I'm plenty bright. I didn't want to buy a smaller 250 just to quickly get bored with it. I had one accident and I'll try my best not to have another. The brand new bike will be taken care of. The headlight will be replaced and if there is any other damage that too will be fixed. So far the pain and money have been minimal.

I never said you had to buy a smaller bike, but if you have never been on a motorcycle before, a FZ8 is not exactly a great learners bike. You couldn't wait for a motorcycle course and you have experienced the results. Your life, your money, your bike. Was just making an observation.

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
Stratagem- I was in the same boat as you, the fz8 was my very first street bike...so it's what I did my learning on...sort of. I fiddled around with small CC dirt bikes for while...which is where I got the clutch control and shifting basics down. I knew I wanted the 8 since 2010. So I took 2 years and rode dirt bikes until I felt confident enough to handle 800ccs. haha, probably the only reason my own "noob" experience (starbucks) isn't as bad as yours.

But good to hear you're alright, bummer you already scratched that baby up.

On top of getting all the right protective gear....I also highly recommend getting an engine guard on for your journey ahead...or at least some frame sliders. That'll help your 8 out...a bit.

Find a buddy that has a dirt bike and practice on that for a while if you can.

And just out of curiosity...what made you choose the fz8?

Bajaedition

I often wonder about the laws to ride bikes in the USA
in many countries you have to start out on smaller bikes and work up license class to bigger bikes, they seem to have less rider loss than we do.

My first street bike was a 550, in line 4, back in 81, they had about 45 hp in that day and it still was a lot, I would hate to have to learn on a modern 800 with 100 ponies at the leash of the throttle.

I admire you for wanting to go practice at a large empty parking lot, I have started a lot of people riding at large empty parking lots.

funny story, had my hand on the fairing windshield when I told a person how to open the clutch while gently adding throttle and they did, crack, I was left with a windshield in my hand as they took off. You know we are still married.

I would advise to get a friend to ride it down to the lot and let you practice takeoffs, shifting and braking and then bring it back a few times till you are comfy. I have done that for a few guys. Do you have your riding permit yet? It may be easier to borrow a 250 cc to take the riding test. Out here there is a business that will bring one to the DMV for you. A lot of the Hardley crowd uses him because it is so easy to take the test on that bike as opposed to trying to muscle a 750 pound Hardley Unableson through the test.

Good Luck

thach1130

Definitely take in MSF course. The course cost 350. They provide text book lesson, riding lesson and examination. You ride their bike, you can crash all you want during the course of the lesson. Then at the end of the 3rd day they give you an examination using THEIR bike. You drop it during the examination then you fail. But with 3 days of riding i doubt you'll drop it. They teach with various style of bikes from Ninja 250, Honda Rebel, Buell Blast and Dual Sport bike so you'll get to see possibly try them all before you decide which type you like. In VA when you pass the MSF course's examination they'll give you a stamp and you'll just head straight to the DMV to exchange for "M" endorsement.

I learned during a course with a Honda Rebel, but i liked the Ninja 250 so much i bought one as a first bike. If the Ninja 300 had came out a little earlier i might have bought that and still kept it to this day. Can't do 4 hours trip through interstate on a 250

Actually during my course i did saw one guy dropped it during the examination. It was the emergency braking test. Dude grabbed a handful of the front brake and the bike just wiped out from under him. Still you walked off knowing you dumped someone else bike and not your own.

Bajaedition

really no reason to buy a 250, but if you know anyone who dirt bike rides they may have a small bike you can practice on.
Do not get discouraged with guys who will hide behind a keyboard while telling you that you are stupid. Just consider the source.

now about gear
helmet, preferably a full face, and not a cheap unit
a set of Road race style cloves, RR gloves have full fingers and are reinforced on the palms and knuckles where it can wear through in a crash
Jeans are a minimum, reinforced riding jeans are better, as is leather. I ride in reinforced jeans
some form of shoes that covers the ankles, no need to have the ankles damaged
a jacket, cold weather and leather is best, that classic bikers jacket is well thought out to keep you warm and protected, more modern designs work great also. I hot weather they make flow through textile jackets, they have padding in the elbows, shoulders, a back brace, and have a fabric design that allows air to flow right through and the material is designed not to wear through in a wreck. They start around $150 and go up.
Remember there are only 2 types of riders, those that have slid and those that are going to slide. All riders fit in the are going to slide category, Beginners usually are not in the Have slid group, you have slid once already.
the reason I say that is protective gear is not a joke, it is the only reason a lot of us are still around. I have been down at speed a few times, one time went into the rear of a VW bug by way of that little rear window. Protective gear is why I walked away from that with a bleeding pinky, a few bruises and that is all.

Go out and have a blast on the bike but remember, do not ride above your comfort level no matter what the group is doing. It is your skin, do not let others tell you how to dress.

good luck

stratagem

And just out of curiosity...what made you choose the fz8?

I really liked the look and the upright riding position.

I would advise to get a friend to ride it down to the lot and let you practice takeoffs, shifting and braking and then bring it back a few times till you are comfy. I have done that for a few guys. Do you have your riding permit yet? It may be easier to borrow a 250 cc to take the riding test. Out here there is a business that will bring one to the DMV for you. A lot of the Hardley crowd uses him because it is so easy to take the test on that bike as opposed to trying to muscle a 750 pound Hardley Unableson through the test.

Good Luck

I don't have the permit yet. I have faith that I can master this 800.

Another thing I didn't mention in the original post is I was actually pretty close to my 2 cars. I was over confident that I could just apply a little gas and cruise between them. Once I get to the parking lot and get comfortable with the bike everything will be better. I hope. ;)

07cobaltLScoupe

Definitely take in MSF course. The course cost 350. They provide text book lesson, riding lesson and examination. You ride their bike, you can crash all you want during the course of the lesson. Then at the end of the 3rd day they give you an examination using THEIR bike. You drop it during the examination then you fail. But with 3 days of riding i doubt you'll drop it. They teach with various style of bikes from Ninja 250, Honda Rebel, Buell Blast and Dual Sport bike so you'll get to see possibly try them all before you decide which type you like. In VA when you pass the MSF course's examination they'll give you a stamp and you'll just head straight to the DMV to exchange for "M" endorsement.

I learned during a course with a Honda Rebel, but i liked the Ninja 250 so much i bought one as a first bike. If the Ninja 300 had came out a little earlier i might have bought that and still kept it to this day. Can't do 4 hours trip through interstate on a 250

Actually during my course i did saw one guy dropped it during the examination. It was the emergency braking test. Dude grabbed a handful of the front brake and the bike just wiped out from under him. Still you walked off knowing you dumped someone else bike and not your own.

about the same here in PA but it's a FREE course! 2 days of "text-book" like material and 2 days of riding, then exam at end of the second day.

but to the OP, i bought my 1979 honda and started riding that for about 2 months before i took the MSF course last year, and now i bought my FZ8 in february of this year, just rolled 1000 miles on it today actually. for a new rider like yourself the course is well worth the time (and money if you need to pay for it). just always expect the unexpected when it comes to other drivers out there

9 Lives

really no reason to buy a 250, but if you know anyone who dirt bike rides they may have a small bike you can practice on.
Do not get discouraged with guys who will hide behind a keyboard while telling you that you are stupid. Just consider the source.

now about gear
helmet, preferably a full face, and not a cheap unit
a set of Road race style cloves, RR gloves have full fingers and are reinforced on the palms and knuckles where it can wear through in a crash
Jeans are a minimum, reinforced riding jeans are better, as is leather. I ride in reinforced jeans
some form of shoes that covers the ankles, no need to have the ankles damaged
a jacket, cold weather and leather is best, that classic bikers jacket is well thought out to keep you warm and protected, more modern designs work great also. I hot weather they make flow through textile jackets, they have padding in the elbows, shoulders, a back brace, and have a fabric design that allows air to flow right through and the material is designed not to wear through in a wreck. They start around $150 and go up.
Remember there are only 2 types of riders, those that have slid and those that are going to slide. All riders fit in the are going to slide category, Beginners usually are not in the Have slid group, you have slid once already.
the reason I say that is protective gear is not a joke, it is the only reason a lot of us are still around. I have been down at speed a few times, one time went into the rear of a VW bug by way of that little rear window. Protective gear is why I walked away from that with a bleeding pinky, a few bruises and that is all.

Go out and have a blast on the bike but remember, do not ride above your comfort level no matter what the group is doing. It is your skin, do not let others tell you how to dress.

good luck

OK so let's sum this up, I have never ridden a bike before, don't even have a learners permit so I go out and buy a brand new 800cc bike. The first time I let out the clutch I run into a car and put the bike on its side. I call em as I see em, hiding behind the keyboard or not. If you want do something dumb and tell everyone then you get what you get.

stratagem

OK so let's sum this up, I have never ridden a bike before, don't even have a learners permit so I go out and buy a brand new 800cc bike. The first time I let out the clutch I run into a car and put the bike on its side. I call em as I see em, hiding behind the keyboard or not. If you want do something dumb and tell everyone then you get what you get.

Buddy, I think you need a hug. If my post is making you this unhappy just stop reading it. What fun is life if you don't do something dumb every now and then?

Like you said... it's my skin. Just leave me be.

n00b

Avid Rider
FZ8 is my first bike of any kind (except the kind that has pedals). Bike got delivered before my MSF class... It sat in the garage for a week until I took the class.

Then took a couple of weeks of just going around the neighborhood, and doing slow turns in a parking lot.

Take your time, park the bike till after the class. wear complete safety gear ALL the time. helmet, jacket, pants, gloves and shoes.

Bike is just a piece of equipment - your body is much harder to repair.

Bajaedition

you got legs?
how many times did you fall flat on your face before you learned to walk?
you dumb#$s you should have used a walker for years before you tried to walk

if his legs fit over the bike and he has the balls, let him. It may not be the smartest move, but it is his bike.

now if he chooses to tell us, shows he has bigger balls than your shriveled up nads, he knows it was a fool move, and he shared it. You learn from mistakes.

FZ8Ryder

you got legs?

if his legs fit over the bike and he has the balls, let him. It may not be the smartest move, but it is his bike.

now if he chooses to tell us, shows he has bigger balls than your shriveled up nads, he knows it was a fool move, and he shared it. You learn from mistakes.

Hahaha im sorry but that is a awesome analogy and hilarious! Thank you! :rof:

pigdog

you get right back up on that bike right now & ride. right now. and again and again

Last edited:

Jacek3743

:eatcorn: and the bashing commences....

I give you props for buying the bike but since as it seems that you don't really have anyone to inform you on bikes and etc (maybe you do but not the best informer) it's not a poor move by you to buy the FZ8 because I would have too in your place when I had no experience.

The reason why people will give you crap is because it's a "big bike". Treat it like one and she'll treat you with respect. Welcome to the community and hope you stay because once you learn how to ride her comfortably and with your head on your shoulders, you'll love it.

If you can't take a course, then YouTube can become your best friend of "how-to's". Just stay away from the "how to wheelie" videos..... Once again, :welcome: and ride safe and smart!

Btw, when it comes to gear, buy some cheap stuff on craigslist so that you're good to go for now, and then invest in nicer things later. just my :2cents:

Jwood9

Great bike just make sure you make great choices... The asphalt doesn't say ouch...

As posted above your neighborhood is a great place to start as well as a large parking lot to get the hang of the slow stuff. Soon enough you'll be out on the road laughing at how hard it seemed before you took the course and gained some experience

Best of luck and just remember you're invisible to everyone...

grant696

You don't have to explain yourself to anyone here that is insulting you. Take a riding course, buy protective equipment and have fun riding your new bike.

I wasn't insulting him. I have never insulted anyone on this forum and I won't. it was a legit question.

9 Lives

you got legs?

Wow, talk about "hiding behind a keyboard". Opinions are like a**holes everybody has one and you have certainly showed us yours.

Bajaedition

glad I could supply you with a reply to save your face because you proved what you really are

wow, talk about grasping for a straw dude, just admit it, you got caught being a bully. In 3 days no one will care
after all, it is the net, your reputation means nothing, it is cyber

relax and accept it. the OP admitted his mistake in the first post, admit yours, trying to save face only digs you in deeper, learn from your mistake

tomorrow it will no longer matter

give it a break, the thread is not about you trying to deny you are a bully, it is about Strat admitting he made a mistake and asking a few questions
let us be civil here, you going on only proves you own a shovel

Last edited: