New respect for this 2012 FZ8!

9 Lives

glad I could supply you with a reply to save your face because you proved what you really are

wow, talk about grasping for a straw dude, just admit it, you got caught being a bully. In 3 days no one will care
after all, it is the net, your reputation means nothing, it is cyber

relax and accept it. the OP admitted his mistake in the first post, admit yours, trying to save face only digs you in deeper, learn from your mistake

tomorrow it will no longer matter

give it a break, the thread is not about you trying to deny you are a bully, it is about Strat admitting he made a mistake and asking a few questions
let us be civil here, you going on only proves you own a shovel

Ya I know but it makes for great entertainment on a rainy weekend. Glad you were around to entertain me. Your a great sparring partner. Later, ride safe and have fun.

stratagem

So I was able to get my friend to take it down to the parking lot for me for a few hours. Everything went great. Worked on starting / stopping, turning, shifting, etc. I love this bike. :D

dtbrown

So I was able to get my friend to take it down to the parking lot for me for a few hours. Everything went great. Worked on starting / stopping, turning, shifting, etc. I love this bike. :D

Nice, still keep it slow for a while because your confidence in corners and power does take some getting used to.

rnvanquish

Glad to hear you're having an easier time on this bike. Like you, the FZ8 was my first street bike (although I've been riding dirt since I was a tot and every now and then take my Dads Softail out for a putt) so I think you made the right choice. Just take it a tad slow at first until you get used to it!

onesonofamitch

Something that really helped me was reading "twist of the wrist 2" and watching the video on youtube. It puts a lot of the technical aspects into a more real world usability scope. I'll have to warn you though, it is a little corny.

kjonas75

Glad you are OK stratagem.

The FZ8 may not have great top end speed, but it will get up there very quickly, so just be carefull. The FZ8 will forgive some mistakes, but as a beginner you really must take it easy.

I came off a number of times while learning, and if you haven't you either don't ride enough, or you are the luckiest SOB on the planet.

My first bike was a Kawasaki EL 250, then moved up to a Suzuki Marauder 800cc (cruiser). I also owned a GSXR600 (which I completely totalled in a crash in Brisbane) but I hated it.

I am now on the FZ8 and it's the perfect balance between comfort and performance. It is a fantastic motorbike and I am very happy with it.

I fully recommend the sliders for future protection of your bike.
I dropped my FZ8 3 months ago while pushing it into the garage (wet surface), and not 1 scratch (very lucky).

kjonas75

HeadFX

Don't want to give you a downer but I'll say this... your motorbike (and pretty much any motor vehicle) has the potential to kill you and anyone you happen to be close to the first time you get carried away with power/speed/excitement. So don't try to emulate the ppl you've seen looking cool on a bike too soon. You have a long road ahead of you so don't rush it. Having said that... I got exactly the same advice as I'm giving here when I was starting out and I didn't listen! So the very best of British luck :)

Last edited:

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Strat, best wishes with all sincerity in learning to ride. I know you're committed to keeping the FZ8, and of course we all love ours, but it's a shame you didn't start on something easier to learn on. I learned on a 25 year old $600 Honda CB450 with about 24 horsepower. I could twist the snot out of the throttle and not worry about killing myself and had a lot of fun learning. After 6 months, I sold it for $750 dollars. Bikes that old really don't depreciate any more.

You'll learn fast, I'm sure and never look back. I hope you'll make getting a real motorcycle jacket, pants, boots and gloves a top priority.

martad00

Definitely play it safe. My other two bikes are 1200cc bikes, but the FZ-8 is the one I have to give the most respect. I already know my sportster can't corner, and my BMW doesn't have the rapid acceleration. As others have said, invest in some very good gear.

superg

What a terrible way to start! I'm a new rider and I severely underestimated the power of these beast.

Here is how it happened...

My bike was just delivered yesterday. Being the impatient man that I am I wanted to ride it that day. My thoughts were to head down to High school since they have a huge, open parking lot that I could practice in. It's literally 3 blocks down the street from me. Changed around 5 bikes - no drops since.

I pulled the bike out, lined her up with my drive way and started her up. Everything was great so far... Then I started to release the clutch and she died. She died on me a few times as I was trying to learn the "sweet spot". Being a new rider I was also hesitant to give her any gas. After this happened a few times I started to get frustrated. The smart thing to do would have been to walk away. Instead I gave her more gas and then I lost it. She took off and I must have pulled the gas back more as this happened because the next thing I know I'm slammed up against my SUV and then on the ground.

It didn't do a lot of damage to the bike that I can tell. Just a minor crack on the headlight. The SUV is a little dinged up but not terrible. My leg was scrapped pretty good and it is still sore but I'll live.

Now I'm waiting for a class to open up. Around here they seem to have pretty big waiting list. I'm also waiting for one of my experienced and already endorsed biker friends to come to my house and drive the bike for me to the parking lot.

This riding thing isn't as easy as it looks! ;)

IMHO that was plain stupid. But I admit, I would do the same at your age, and definitely you have balls, that you've shared that story with us :)
Still I am happy, that I didn't got such powerful bike as my first.
When I was 13, I got 50cc Ukrainian bike Karpaty, exchanged it for my old ZX Spectrum clone. I spend more time in garage fixing it, than riding, but it was very positive experience. Then I got 125cc Belorussian Minsk, I dropped it twice, I didn't had any protection, even helmet, so lesson learned.

As of you, I'd recommend you to buy $500-$1000 125-250cc bike just for learning, from what I read it seems you don't have problem with money, so that would be more wise decision, than to replace your broken headlight (which should be around $500) right now. And don't go to public roads, you can kill somebody.

charris247

I rode a 250cc Suzuki for a day and a half during the MSF course and bought my FZ8 a week later.

IMHO I never believed in buying a low cc bike. Why waste the money. If your careful, have an open mind, and know your limits I believe you can start one any size bike.

When I bought my bike it sat in winter storage for 4 months before I rode it. When I started on the FZ8 I only had a day and a half of riding time in my life. I took my time, rode on roads around the neighborhood that I knew well and after about 2 weeks was hitting the highway.

Dont get me wrong, the FZ8 has a decent amount of power but I am already thinking about something bigger. I'll probably keep the FZ8 but I think I will be much more satisfied with a Speed Triple R!

Safe riding :)

Perron

The 8 is my frist bike too, I waited till I got my learner permit (that I'm getting rid of tomorrow morning to get the real thing) to jump on the 8 and ride with some friends. Like others said, just wear full gear to protect yourself, and don't push it too much until you feel comfortable doing so.

You got the balls to tell your error on the forum and I'm sure it will prevent some to try riding without a proper training

Darksabre

Thanks for the post man, and thanks for all of the replies. I had fun reading them and helped put things in perspective. I, too, got an FZ8 as my first motorbike (price was too good to pass up). I ride my mtn bike 20mi/day, and have been on a 50cc minibike, but that's the extent of it.

For now, it sits in my garage until I get to take my MSF course in August. I'll be honest, just looking at it is f'in intimidating.

There's a not so popular of bikes that are a little easier to start on with enough power to use in the real world...SV650, Ninja 650, FZ6r, ER6N and Gladius. I have an old co-worker who uses his Sv650 every day to travel an hour and a half on the freeway....I had an old Ninja 650..and 8n hindsight it was my favorite bike I have owned.

Bajaedition

I rode a 250cc Suzuki for a day and a half during the MSF course and bought my FZ8 a week later.

IMHO I never believed in buying a low cc bike. Why waste the money. If your careful, have an open mind, and know your limits I believe you can start one any size bike.

When I bought my bike it sat in winter storage for 4 months before I rode it. When I started on the FZ8 I only had a day and a half of riding time in my life. I took my time, rode on roads around the neighborhood that I knew well and after about 2 weeks was hitting the highway.

Dont get me wrong, the FZ8 has a decent amount of power but I am already thinking about something bigger. I'll probably keep the FZ8 but I think I will be much more satisfied with a Speed Triple R!

Safe riding :)
you know there are many countries you have to start on small motorcycles and get experience before moving up, the safety records are great proving it works
I am glad you think you need a bigger bike, personally I think you are going kill yourself.
I own a 1200 cc kawasaki besides the FZ8 and I can tell you that the FZ8 has plenty of power, more than most, including you, will ever use. I love the bike and I also own a bike with 150 plus HP.
Go out and buy that bigger bike you think you need. and good luck squido

Ironman267

I like watching new riders ,, they put both feet down and DUCK walk with it , swerve all over the friggin place in slow traffic or stop lites ,, every now and then i even get to help someone who forgets to which foot to put down and tips the damn thing over .... The best is stopping on a hill !! The classic too much gas and zero clutch control .. Just pop it bro !! Hahahaha . Get a mini bike and learn how ride

iheart2drift

My 2012 FZ8 is my first bike. Practice in a parking lot. Big open space. Keep it below 6000 RPM until you become comfortable. Congratulations!

I taught myself to ride and I haven't taken the course. I don't regret my decision. Always wear gear. I bought Helmet, Jacket, Gloves and boots before I touched the bike.

pigdog

my first bike was a 68 bsa thundebolt. at 125lbs. with all my cloths on, (& who would ride naked). my bike weighed 400lbs or so. no shades, gloves, jacket, whats a helmet. when i had my first getoff i didnt have enough time to let go of the handlebars & ended up sliding on gravel while atop of the bike. well, i sat right there for a minute after mr. thunderbolt decided to stop. noticed some cooling fin tattoos on my right leg, picked my bike & my bloody self. bike started on the first kick. dont feel bad. glad youre ok. when you were a kid what did you do when you fell off your bicycle?