Motodynamic integrated tail light - LED failures

Emohawk

Hey gang.

When I left for work this morning my Motodynamic tail light was working fine. Now 9 of the red LEDs aren't working, both intensities. They're not in sequence. Some left side, some right side, some top, some bottom.

The amber turn signals are working fine.

Has anyone else had this issue? I will have to pull it apart to see if I can fix it and go back to the stock tail light/signals for now. PITA.

Kirb

Umyaya

I've been too lazy to install mine because I heard you have to take off the entire back end? To get the light in.
Hey gang.

When I left for work this morning my Motodynamic tail light was working fine. Now 9 of the red LEDs aren't working, both intensities. They're not in sequence. Some left side, some right side, some top, some bottom.

The amber turn signals are working fine.

Has anyone else had this issue? I will have to pull it apart to see if I can fix it and go back to the stock tail light/signals for now. PITA.

Kirb

9 Lives

Check your connections, if that doesn't work, probably something wrong with the light itself. I have heard that motodynamic has great customer service.

Emohawk

The install isn't as painful as it sounds.

I don't think it is a connection issue - over half of the red LEDs are working fine. The rest are dead. I'm thinking something failed internally - probably a bad connection or a bad trace on the board - maybe a board crack. Just curious if anyone else had a similar issue. The pattern of failure is really strange though. Something like this (x working, o not)

xxoxxx xxxooo
oxoxxo xxoxox

Not exactly right, but you get the idea. Almost random, and all happened at once.

BigD

easy install. taking the back end off is a couple screws and some plastic pop rivet things x6. easy as pie

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Emohawk

Here's a pic of the failed LEDs. I'm sure there was a 9th one in the middle on the bottom right yesterday, but maybe I was imagining that.

I've sent it to Motodynamic. Not sure if they'll be able to do much since it is 2 years old, but we'll see.

Buck P.

Part of my research for a bike has led me to considering these once I get a bike. I haven't seen anything like this anywhere the motodynamic has been mentioned. I hope the company can offer a good resolution for you. Please let us know what they say--it may sway which system I go with in the future if service/quality isn't up to spec.

jassilamba

Part of my research for a bike has led me to considering these once I get a bike. I haven't seen anything like this anywhere the motodynamic has been mentioned. I hope the company can offer a good resolution for you. Please let us know what they say--it may sway which system I go with in the future if service/quality isn't up to spec.

I will agree with the above, I was almost ready to order the motodynamic tail light, but then I saw this post. Would like to see/know how they handle this.

LEDs are supposed to last a really long time, and I do feel its an issue of a loose connection somewhere inside or a solder has gone bad. Irrespective of the cause, OP please let us know the outcome.

Umyaya

When you removed those plug screw things from underneath the seat to get the taillight out did you have to take off your license plate bracket?

I will agree with the above, I was almost ready to order the motodynamic tail light, but then I saw this post. Would like to see/know how they handle this.

LEDs are supposed to last a really long time, and I do feel its an issue of a loose connection somewhere inside or a solder has gone bad. Irrespective of the cause, OP please let us know the outcome.

Emohawk

The install takes 30 mins or less. A few screws & 8 of those snap clip things on my 2011.

I did contact Motodynamic, and they did offer to do a warranty fix even though the warranty is expired. I'd have to pay shipping to get it to them though, which isn't exactly cheap being on the opposite side of the continent. I have some electronics know-how so I decided to pull it apart and try to repair it myself. It appears the LEDs and connections are fine, so I suspect something has fried in the processor/logic circuit.

No idea why it failed. Maybe the climate & roads here. Roads are crap, cool/damp/salty air. Who knows.

Kudos to Motodynamic for offering to fix it & ship it back to me! No complaints about the customer service for sure.

And having taken it apart I can tell you it will NEVER come apart under normal conditions. Even working it with a heat gun it was a PITA to get it apart. They needn't have bothered to put screws in the housing! It is well put together for sure.

Anyway, I have decided to scrap it and try a Blaster-X. I will miss the sequential turn signals, but the Blaster seems to be brighter and the signals will be more visible as they flash on-off, not alternate between amber/red like the Motodynamic does.

With that said, I will be keeping the Motodynamic parts around - I may re-use some of them in another mod I'm considering.

Last edited:

Bajaedition

there is a thread here somewhere that has a link to a video that shows how to do it in 20 minutes or less, I did it and did a tail tidy in about 30 minutes total

And Yes, mention there is a thread here that guys want to know about Moto Dynamics Customer Relations. DO not threaten or draw any lines in the sand, just casually mention it in conversation. Such as, the guys on the forum advised me to call you and want me to post back what you said.

they have sold a lot of units to guys in this forum, so they ant positve things said

Umyaya

If you don't plan on installing, let me know. May be interested.

Just installed tonight. Went smooth and a lot easier than I expected. Looks way better than stock with blinkers. Also after riding 250 miles today on the airbox mod... I approve!

Emohawk

Yeah - it is a good looking light. I like how it uses the full lens. Much more visible. And I like the sequential turn signals. I wish mine hadn't failed. Oh well.

Zenfist

Have you heard anything back from them yet?

I did contact Motodynamic, and they did offer to do a warranty fix even though the warranty is expired. I'd have to pay shipping to get it to them though, which isn't exactly cheap being on the opposite side of the continent. I have some electronics know-how so I decided to pull it apart and try to repair it myself. It appears the LEDs and connections are fine, so I suspect something has fried in the processor/logic circuit.

No idea why it failed. Maybe the climate & roads here. Roads are crap, cool/damp/salty air. Who knows.

Kudos to Motodynamic for offering to fix it & ship it back to me! No complaints about the customer service for sure.

And having taken it apart I can tell you it will NEVER come apart under normal conditions. Even working it with a heat gun it was a PITA to get it apart. They needn't have bothered to put screws in the housing! It is well put together for sure.

Anyway, I have decided to scrap it and try a Blaster-X. I will miss the sequential turn signals, but the Blaster seems to be brighter and the signals will be more visible as they flash on-off, not alternate between amber/red like the Motodynamic does.

With that said, I will be keeping the Motodynamic parts around - I may re-use some of them in another mod I'm considering.

Just installed tonight. Went smooth and a lot easier than I expected. Looks way better than stock with blinkers. Also after riding 250 miles today on the airbox mod... I approve!

Just in case anyone was wondering why their questions weren't answered!