Michelin Pilot Power 3

C

Camo

I ride canyons and have some track days planned in the near future. Not big on the long straight stretches and freeway miles so I think I'm going with the S20s after all.

To be honest, I've been relatively happy with the performance I'm getting out of the stock 21s. (maybe cause I don't know any better ;) No chicken strips and I can feel when the tire is beginning to move so... I think I'll stay with Bridgestone.

Thanks for all the info guys... This forum ROCKS :rockon:
The S20's will do the job well, though in saying that the Michelin are favoured by many. Price difference would be my only consideration mate.

ssky0078

haha damn...I got the S20s as a commuter tire. All I heard was "exceptional performance in rain" and that's what sold me. DOH!

You should check out the Pilot Road 3's (or 2's but check the born on date) for a lot of straight line riding and wet/rain traction. The guys on the Fz1 forum love them and say they routinely get 12-16,000 miles on them while they live in wet places like Oregon and Vancouver, BC.

I personally don't like the PR2's I have because they are hard feeling compared to the S20 and not as confidence inspiring in the twisty's. I'm finding I have to play with the pressure more to get them to work for me for what I have planned for the day. Up the pressure for commute to not square them off and drop it for at least some sense of confidence in the corners. I also have only had 3 days of rain in the last 3 months, so wet traction is not a concern for me.

Or the new Battleax T30

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L2Qqeo7fwg]Valentino Rossi rides the Bridgestone Battlax T30 - YouTube[/ame]

The S20's will hopefully give you 3-6,000 miles from what I understand of them. I only put 2,500 miles on mine and they looked half done before I totaled the bike they were on. About half those miles were hard twisty's/sweepers. I had pretty much had no chicken strip, maybe a half cm if any.

I ride canyons and have some track days planned in the near future. Not big on the long straight stretches and freeway miles so I think I'm going with the S20s after all.

To be honest, I've been relatively happy with the performance I'm getting out of the stock 21s. (maybe cause I don't know any better ;) No chicken strips and I can feel when the tire is beginning to move so... I think I'll stay with Bridgestone.

Thanks for all the info guys... This forum ROCKS :rockon:

You'll love them. Have fun and be safe.

cambo

Avid Rider
Thanks ssky

Did a ton of research tonight and yeah, I'm going to go with the michelin road 3's. Sounds like the tire I need for the time being.

Looks like I'll be throwing the S20s up for sale shortly!

Sucks because I JUST paid the ridiculous price to have them mounted. lmao!

sigh...the price of learning...

C

Camo

Thanks ssky

Did a ton of research tonight and yeah, I'm going to go with the michelin road 3's. Sounds like the tire I need for the time being.

Just leave them on mate and run them till they're fooked.
You've got em on there now so you may as well :2cents:

ssky0078

Thanks ssky

Just leave them on mate and run them till they're fooked.
You've got em on there now so you may as well :2cents:

I'd keep em on and burn through em as fast as you want. Also you'll get the different feel for the 2 tires as well as style of tire, sport touring verses hypersport.

Glovik

How has everyone been liking their Pilot Power 3s? It's just getting nice out and I pulled the bike out the other day. My front is still stock with 10,060 miles on it. Big nice buldging crown down the middle with tread almost flush. Needless to say, I really pushed it last fall not wanting to change it out right before putting it away.

Anyhoo, got my bike from storage and rode it home. Just ordered my set of Pilot Power 3s and letting the bike sit until I can throw them on. Has anyone had any good riding this past month on them? I can't wait to put them on! Hopefully in a week I'll have a good review on them.

ssky0078

How has everyone been liking their Pilot Power 3s? It's just getting nice out and I pulled the bike out the other day. My front is still stock with 10,060 miles on it. Big nice buldging crown down the middle with tread almost flush. Needless to say, I really pushed it last fall not wanting to change it out right before putting it away.

Anyhoo, got my bike from storage and rode it home. Just ordered my set of Pilot Power 3s and letting the bike sit until I can throw them on. Has anyone had any good riding this past month on them? I can't wait to put them on! Hopefully in a week I'll have a good review on them.

Looking forward to the review. I'm burning up my pilot road 2s and will be getting the power 3s next

waypoint

mod squad

love em!!!!! but they don't like a lot of pressure. this tire really feels like it was designed to be run on a track, with lower cold pressure that firms up when heated by the bigger contact patch of the lower pressure. i've been checking the tire pressure in the morning, before i ride the canyons and twisties when the tire is at around 63 degrees F (use a thermal temp gun). i'll set the front at 28 or 29 and the rear at 31 or 32. after about 3 or four minutes on the road they firm up and feel unbelievable. if i run them any higher they don't provide the feedback that they do when softer... go figure ;)

of course pressure would be a bit higher if checked when the tire is hotter. at the track i'm sure i'll drop the rear, and possibly the front, even more.

with the harder compound spread out underneath the softer outside compound the rear tire has enough firmness to run them lower and if set too high the rear feels too stiff.

lately we've been riding canyons with twisties and medium speed sweepers in outdoor temps of around 75 to 85 degrees. at that early-morning pressure i've been able to completely wipe the chicken strip off the rear and on the front i've hit the second of the three line-indicators. never a hint of coming unglued. that's a good thing, right? ;)

the first track day on them is coming the 21st of this month at willow springs big track. i'm pretty sure they'll be awesome... i'll report back then.