Michelin Pilot Power 3

waypoint

mod squad
Michelin's got a new tire out that's going to ultimately replace the Pilot Power 2ct. My bud at the local shop says they just got a huge shipment in and he can get me a pair at a great price.

It's a dual compound tire, like the rest of the hypersport tires, but on the rear the extend the lower layers of the harder "center" compound out to the tire edge then build the softer compound on top. So, supposedly you get a more stable tire at lean without sacrificing the grip.

The tread pattern is a bit different in that treads don't extend to the edge of the tire... the last portion of tire at full lean is, for all intents and purposes, a full slick.

It looks to have more of a triangle shape, like the S20s. When I think Michelin, I think touring tire. But I don't know s$#t all about them. Anybody have any experiences with any of their "hypersport" ;) tires?

I'll find out the price tomorrow. If it's a good deal I may give em a try :rockon:

ssky0078

I was looking at those as well. I liked Michelin on all my cars. however someone pointed out that when the Pilot Road 3's first came out they had some tread separation issues. I'm going to wait on the Pilot Power 3's to see if anything like that happens with them (I have about 10,000 miles left on my Pilot Road 2's).

I love, I mean really loved my S20's on my Fz6.

waypoint

mod squad
I was looking at those as well. I liked Michelin on all my cars. however someone pointed out that when the Pilot Road 3's first came out they had some tread separation issues. I'm going to wait on the Pilot Power 3's to see if anything like that happens with them (I have about 10,000 miles left on my Pilot Road 2's).

I love, I mean really loved my S20's on my Fz6.

Yea I keep hearing great things about the S20s. It was between those and the Q2s till my bud started pushing these, so I figured I'd ask around.

cambo

Avid Rider
What made you decide on the S20s?

Honestly, just the reviews I saw and read about it. But I only really looked at the Bridgestone battlax line since the stockers are bridgestones. I was looking at the BT-O16s first because I heard they were the best street bike tire to get in the Battlax line (best grip/wet traction) and through my research is where I learned about the S20's being the newer step up with a different tread pattern to provide better wet traction and a different rubber compound to provide better grip and quicker tire warm up time. And then Anthony from revzilla.com said that the ONLY reason you would get the BT-O16s now would be because your local shop was out of stock of the S20s. And since Anthony is ridiculously handsome and has awesome hair, he must be right. So I went with the S20s.

But I tell you what, I was THIS close to going wth the Michelin Pilot Power 3s. Anthony had a convincing argument for it's wet weather performance as well. And I think the only reason I tipped towards the S20s was the pricing...S20s were a tad cheaper.

D

DJK1505

I think the Road 3's are pretty ugly. I do not like the tread patter. I loved my BT016's, but only got 3500 miles out of the rear. BT003's were as good and got like 6K out of those. Have loved the Pilot and Pilot 2CT, was going between the S20's and the Pilot Pure, found a set of Pure's for $215 shipped to the house (120/70's and 180/55). They came in yesterday. I am by heart a bridgestone guy, but the michelins have impressed the hell out of me, but the Road 3's tread just looks crazy ugly in my opinion.

DJ

ssky0078

I think the Road 3's are pretty ugly. I do not like the tread patter. I loved my BT016's, but only got 3500 miles out of the rear. BT003's were as good and got like 6K out of those. Have loved the Pilot and Pilot 2CT, was going between the S20's and the Pilot Pure, found a set of Pure's for $215 shipped to the house (120/70's and 180/55). They came in yesterday. I am by heart a bridgestone guy, but the michelins have impressed the hell out of me, but the Road 3's tread just looks crazy ugly in my opinion.

DJ

the pilot road 3's are supposed to be a sport touring tire and the pilot power 3's are a hypersport tire. Granted all hypersport tires are sexier than sport touring tires. The hypersport will have less siping and thereby more sticky surface. The sport touring will have more siping and thereby greater wet and performance on all different road conditions as well as a harder core to give longer tire life.

D

DJK1505

I miss read the first post, thought he was talking about the road 3's not the power 3's. If it were me and I was going to do a hypersport, I would try out the S20's or pure's. But thats just me.

DJ

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
Am I the only Pirelli guy here? Anyone tried the Diablo Rosso II's? I know it is comparing dollars to donuts and all but.... The Pirelli sport demons I put on my Triumph were the single best mod I have done to that bike. I even took it out for a track day last year with em and couldn't have asked for more feel or grip. Then again I only picked them in the first place because with a 19" front wheel your choices are pretty limited really.

D

DJK1505

I have never liked the way the Pirelli look. And I can never find a deal on them to give them a shot. Really have liked the pilot power, excited for these pures.

DJ

cambo

Avid Rider
Just wanted to give a little update on the S20s

On my way home...about 10 miles out, I got caught in some snowfall. Not quite cold enough to stick (35F) but not warm enough to melt right away either. Road was nice and glossy after about 10 minutes haha. Anyway, my bike handled just fine and I didn't really let off the throttle either. I want to thank the tires!:tup:

C

Camo

Yea I keep hearing great things about the S20s. It was between those and the Q2s till my bud started pushing these, so I figured I'd ask around.

I ran the BT016's on my 8 when I first swapped out from the stock rubber because my mechanic was basically giving them away, I had my heart set on Pirellis. After getting nearly 5000km's of pure awesomeness out of them, I decided to try the S20's. I've put around 1000km's of spirited riding on them and a trackday.
Just got back from riding 600 odd km's of the best twisty's east coast Australia has to offer and I couldn't fault them. A mate of mine actually commented on how awesome the grip was when he had a fang on the 8.
They warm up super quick at the track, consistent and confidence inspiring. I actually felt like they scrubbed in after 4 or 5 corners.... Which is crazy feel for me. It usually takes me 100 km's or so to feel like I've got new tires sorted and am confident and comfortable.

I've run road pilot 2's on previous bikes when all I was doing was distance riding or commuting and couldn't say enough good things about them.
I'm yet to delve into the Pirelli lineup but am keen to give them a go, we'll see what sort of riding I'll have lined up after the S20's are done....

I wouldn't bother with the S20's or the like if you're looking for good mileage. These hyper sport tires are for exceptional road grip with the odd track day thrown in.... I towed my bike to the good stuff and towed it back to save flat spotting the centre of them lol.
There isn't going to be a huge difference between the brands out side of shape... Turn in will differ but wear and rubber quality will be around the same....feel will be a personal preference.

cambo

Avid Rider
haha damn...I got the S20s as a commuter tire. All I heard was "exceptional performance in rain" and that's what sold me. DOH!

C

Camo

haha damn...I got the S20s as a commuter tire. All I heard was "exceptional performance in rain" and that's what sold me. DOH!

Lol, all the good rubber is on the edge of the tire...hope you got tight roads on the way to work :)

waypoint

mod squad
I ride canyons and have some track days planned in the near future. Not big on the long straight stretches and freeway miles so I think I'm going with the S20s after all.

To be honest, I've been relatively happy with the performance I'm getting out of the stock 21s. (maybe cause I don't know any better ;) No chicken strips and I can feel when the tire is beginning to move so... I think I'll stay with Bridgestone.

Thanks for all the info guys... This forum ROCKS :rockon: