Layed her down in gravel today. :-(

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Well, I can officially say that I have been down on a bike now. I was pulling into my gravel driveway like normal this afternoon and all of a sudden the rear end slid out from under me. I wasn't moving fast at all, thank god. Anyhow, I am ok....small scrape on my knee and a big bruised ego.

As for the bike, minimal damage, the Shogun frame slider did its job, saved the entire right side of the engine case from receiving damage. The only other parts that got damaged were the foot brake lever and right side bar end mirror broke. Those will have to be replaced.

It could have been much worse...I am grateful for that.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Thanks guys. I am chalking this one up as experience. I ordered new bar end mirrors, replacement frame slider, and brake pedal yesterday. Around $100 total. It could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I am fine...just a couple scrapes....thanks for asking

Zeitgeist

I don't know about you, but my stack (even though it was minor) scared me enough to have more respect for the bike. Which is definitely a good thing!

Sucks so bad to see my baby all scratched up though... Haha

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I can relate, although I was very fortunate that I didn't scrape any paint. It just bent the hell out of the brake pedal, broke the bar end mirror off, & tore the frame slider up. Still sucks I have to fix it. Again though, it could have been worse. I just feel more stupid than anything....at least now I suppose I will have more respect for gravel.

Last edited:

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
Damn man! That's two in two days... Be careful out their.

Unfortunately, it's actually 3. Layed mine down on Old Topanga :mad: I hit sand in a corner and before I knew traction was gone I was in the air. Frame sliders did there job but I hit hard enough that my bars put a small dent in the tank. Never laid a bike down before, definitely a bruised ego. And definitely changing tires. It was my own fault as I was hitting it pretty hot but I have just never felt like they inspire confidence.

V

Vapordan

but I have just never felt like they inspire confidence.

You know I feel the exact same way. Just a feeling but it makes me cautious. It's never let me down but I have this lack of confidence feeling. Caught sight of sand in a corner yesterday and I was cornering like a 3 year old in a miniskirt.

RyanSterling

You know I feel the exact same way. Just a feeling but it makes me cautious. It's never let me down but I have this lack of confidence feeling. Caught sight of sand in a corner yesterday and I was cornering like a 3 year old in a miniskirt.

Exactly, I keep running through it in my head and wondering if I didn't maybe chop the throttle or something that contributed. And I would have never done that with the pirellis I have on my Bonnie. I trust those things to bite absolutely. I can't help but think that even if it's all in my head the mere fact that I second guess them is enough to toss them in the bin. I as a rule believe that 99.9% of drops happen from rider error but most rider errors happen when your survival instinct kicks in and makes you do something to upset the bike. (Chop throttle, brake in turn etc.) Or perhaps I am just pissed cause I have never laid one down before. I bent my shift lever back and had a smoke then ran the same road again just to get back on the horse and stay out of my own head.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
If anything else, this thread should make everyone think about how they are riding. I know one thing is for sure, I will never take gravel lightly again. My parts are scheduled to be at my house tomorrow afternoon, so I know what I will be doing Friday evening.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
good stuff it's also very important. you have to cure the head part otherwise it stays with you.

Fortunately for me, it was in my driveway, so I will be pulling into it plenty more times. I will be slowing down before I enter my driveway from now on. There is a reason people say there are two types of riders, those who have been down and those haven't been down yet. It is the truth.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Unfortunately, it's actually 3. Layed mine down on Old Topanga :mad: I hit sand in a corner and before I knew traction was gone I was in the air. Frame sliders did there job but I hit hard enough that my bars put a small dent in the tank. Never laid a bike down before, definitely a bruised ego. And definitely changing tires. It was my own fault as I was hitting it pretty hot but I have just never felt like they inspire confidence.

Shit, three in a few days. injuries? hope your OK!

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Exactly, I keep running through it in my head and wondering if I didn't maybe chop the throttle or something that contributed. And I would have never done that with the pirellis I have on my Bonnie. I trust those things to bite absolutely. I can't help but think that even if it's all in my head the mere fact that I second guess them is enough to toss them in the bin. I as a rule believe that 99.9% of drops happen from rider error but most rider errors happen when your survival instinct kicks in and makes you do something to upset the bike. (Chop throttle, brake in turn etc.) Or perhaps I am just pissed cause I have never laid one down before. I bent my shift lever back and had a smoke then ran the same road again just to get back on the horse and stay out of my own head.
This is Kinda what I was Talking about in This treadhttp://www.779cc.org/forum/bar/1039-riding-technique.html
I seem to allways wonder did I do this/that wrong or how could I have avoided something

RyanSterling

Got a minor scrape on my leg as I cleared the bike. I was in full gear so I'm fine. Which is a bit of a surprise as I remember checking my speed right before entering the turn and it was around 38MPH. Bike has some scratches but I started fixing those and ordering parts the second I got home. I can't sleep when one of my toys is broken. More than anything just kind of pissed at myself. It's a road I know really well but I was pushing it harder than I should have for a public road that I hadn't run in a few months so I should have done a trial run to look for conditions. Anyways, don't want to hijack the thread but wanted to share if only as a reminder to be diligent. Was a serious wake up call for me since it was my first time going down outside of messing around on dirtbikes. I had a moment last night where it suddenly occurred to me as I was removing scratched up rad covers. "Apparently it's not just my buddies, or guys I know. It can be me too."