Keeping headers and pipes clean

Künstler

Doom,yes I also dont bother,because if I compare with my other bike`s pipe (R1150rt BMW),is still clean or seems better..:)..I want to know if other FZ8 owners have the same issue.

Wish you all a nice,sunny,dry weekend..

Celal

Speedo007

From pictures I see here, all headers are aging the exact same way...
I think Yamaha should just say it's "normal" then trying to explain it with customer using abrasive stuff to clean the radiator...

I'll polish mine maybe later today, will see how much of those dark spots I can remove...

tiagovsilva

Hi..

Same here..

On the first week when i bought the bike, i've made 10km with rain.. and the water projection from the front tire made those brown spots appear instantly.
Worse than any picture posted here.

It's the difference of the temperature (hot headers vs cold water) that creates them.

I use my fz8 everyday, and when it rains or the ground is wet, i ride very very slowly to minimize the water shower from the front tire (doesn't make sense):mad::mad:.

On the beginning I've showed that phenomenon to the yamaha official dealer mechanics.. and he said that maybe it was some kind of material that melted on the pipers.. but its not.

With my experience of everyday ride, and with almost 4000km, i have the prove that it's an oxidation created by the temperature shock from water..

This pipes are so sensitive, that if you run over a small water puddle on dry weather, the spots will appear.

The gold appearance is normal.. but for me, the brown spots are bad quality material or finish.

On the other hand, i've started to clean my headers with a ultra soft polish for stainless steel, and after rubbing a few minutes with a microfiber cloth, the spots almost disappear:):)... until the next rain:mad::mad:. (now it's a monthly task)

Regards,

Tiago

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 438

Could you post a pic? I'll try to get one posted soon. I polished a couple of them to see if it comes back yet again. but left the other two pipes as my dealership is talking with Yamaha about it. My dealership says its definitely not normal and thinks the nickel plating wasn't applied correctly. Yamaha has so far told them my radiator is too clean and therefore i have used a chemical to clean it and it has then dripped onto my headers causing the "browning" spots. Which is just BS.:mad:

You should show Yamaha this thread.

Künstler

---and he said that maybe it was some kind of material that melted on the pipers.. but its not.------

I didnt hear till today ,since 25 years any right answers from any mechanic!..If I found a mistake from the manufacturer,they begin to tell goodnight stories!....:mad:....

I try,not to see that ugly spots on pipes,and go on riding.

Last edited:

SpunkyTheTuna

If I keep the bike a few years I might consider simply having them rechromed...but high quality chrome

They're not chromed, they're stainless steel. THere's no plating on them at all. That's why the brown spots happen. I've never had stainless pipes that didn't do exactly that. There's a whole thread on the FZ1 site that talks about probably ten different ways to polish away the brown if you're interested.

Speedo007

Interesting, I thought only chrome turned blue when heated...if it's just stainless I'll just buff away then...

could you powder coat your headers? i think it would probably look pretty sick if you powder coated ur headers black!

i just wish we had a guy who powder coats around here id get it looked at but we dont so keep me posted !!

SpunkyTheTuna

Most powder coating won't last on headers. You need something that'll handle higher temps. Something like the JetHot coatings works really well for that. It's more expensive but it won't check and fall off. And you can get some colors IIRC. It's been a few years since I've dealt with them. But as I recall their warrantee is essentially if it goes wrong they'll fix it. Not including things like dropping a wrench on a freshly coated header (trust me on that).

djcecil

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Satin-Black-Exhaust-Coating/dp/B003DQUSAK]Amazon.com: Eastwood Satin Black High Temp Exhaust Coating Paint: Automotive[/ame]

there is always this route if you take your time and spray it right.

what process do they use on the kawasaki mean streak? they came stock with flat black pipes?