Keeping headers and pipes clean

SpunkyTheTuna

Stainless steel takes on a kind of dull golden patina from heat. If you don't come to be at peace with the goldenness of the pipes you're going to spend an awful lot of valuable riding time polishing.

Ivy33

My pipes just got dirty as hell from getting caught in the rain the other day. I haven't washed it off yet but I anticipated having a hard time getting the baked on road crap off. Hopefully, when I wash it today it will get clean but, if it doesn't, I know what to use.

SpunkyTheTuna

If bad comes to worse, any spray-on oven cleaner stuff will work,but be really careful not to get it on painted surfaces.

Rgraphic

Has anyone noticed oxidation/rust looking spots towards the top of the headers? They keep re-appearing in different formations and are becoming a pain to keep removing (Wizards chrome polish). Not sure if this is normal and wondering what the rest of you think.

Jbomb

50' x 1" Roll Exhaust Wrap
25' x 2" Roll
Stainless 'Zip Ties'

Get black and it looks tight, serves a purpose and saves time and $

My receipt reads just over $66 for everything

tiagovsilva

50' x 1" Roll Exhaust Wrap
25' x 2" Roll
Stainless 'Zip Ties'

Get black and it looks tight, serves a purpose and saves time and $

My receipt reads just over $66 for everything

Hi..

Could you show some photos of the final result?:)

And how it reacts to the water/rain? it get's durty? it's easy to wash?:cool:

thks,

Tiago

SpunkyTheTuna

Hi..

Could you show some photos of the final result?:)

And how it reacts to the water/rain? it get's durty? it's easy to wash?:cool:

thks,

Tiago

Yes, it gets dirty, yes it gets wet and it holds the dampness for awhile, causing increased corrosion. Yes it holds the heat in. Unfortunately, holding the heat in also causes the pipes to deteriorate at a faster rate. Fast enough that they'll corrode through before you get rid of the bike? Who knows.

But it does look kind of primitive cool, if that's what you want.

impostor1981

Hi guys,

There is no drama with that. I have covered 7000 miles on my riding in all comditions including some rides in the mood. All comes off nicely and I did not have to use any metal polisher yet.

However my wifes FZ6 riden in the rain maybe twice, only done 2000 miles and the spots on the headers turned in to massive shapes and started going brown. Polishing it, I think makes it even worse and they have actualy first apear at around 500 miles !!! Polishing it gets rid of them but the spots are coming back stronger. I guess its just how lucky you are with some bikes you wont get spots with others it will be yours worse nightmare.

Good luck polishing it ;)

Speedo007

I use Autosol Metal polish. Works great! Havent tried it on the FZ8 yet but it worked wonders on my Speed Triple and Scrambler.

Rgraphic

Hi guys,

There is no drama with that. I have covered 7000 miles on my riding in all comditions including some rides in the mood. All comes off nicely and I did not have to use any metal polisher yet.

However my wifes FZ6 riden in the rain maybe twice, only done 2000 miles and the spots on the headers turned in to massive shapes and started going brown. Polishing it, I think makes it even worse and they have actualy first apear at around 500 miles !!! Polishing it gets rid of them but the spots are coming back stronger. I guess its just how lucky you are with some bikes you wont get spots with others it will be yours worse nightmare.

Good luck polishing it ;)

Oh no...This sounds exactly like what i have goin on with my headers. Polished them and they are coming back worse and faster. Yellowing/bluing would be fine...but this just looks like oxidation/rust...not acceptable on such an exposed bike.

Künstler

[lang=de]Hi everybody,I`m from Istanbul Turkey.Yes,today I`ve seen that ugly spots on my FZ8`s headers..Its only 500km bike,and pity is they are not blue burned but dark brown spost on the edge of headers(Top).Checked many forums,but coulndt see any final solution.I used a bit -neverdull- paste,to remove them:No way!I like naked bike,but I dont know what shall I do with this ugly header pipes in future,if they will be more like cancer on them?...:(

Have a nice week ...:)

Celal[/lang]

D

Deleted member 438

I also have the browning going on with my headers.

Künstler

[lang=de]What do you think?Can anyone help us?..I mean crom polish will help?..Its gold crom,so I`m afraid to polish it,because after paste ,it can loose the color..Ooo,Yamaha,you could get a bit more from us at the beginnig,..I was ready to pay more,but for better quality.I had 1994 model Virago 1100,and after 11 years later sold before Germany left.I always afraid to have oxidation on its beautiful pipes,because Germany was nearly whole year rainy.But it didnt appeared..:)..Why this one?..

Celal[/lang]

Rgraphic

I also have the browning going on with my headers.

Could you post a pic? I'll try to get one posted soon. I polished a couple of them to see if it comes back yet again. but left the other two pipes as my dealership is talking with Yamaha about it. My dealership says its definitely not normal and thinks the nickel plating wasn't applied correctly. Yamaha has so far told them my radiator is too clean and therefore i have used a chemical to clean it and it has then dripped onto my headers causing the "browning" spots. Which is just BS.:mad:

D

Deleted member 438

Could you post a pic? I'll try to get one posted soon. I polished a couple of them to see if it comes back yet again. but left the other two pipes as my dealership is talking with Yamaha about it. My dealership says its definitely not normal and thinks the nickel plating wasn't applied correctly. Yamaha has so far told them my radiator is too clean and therefore i have used a chemical to clean it and it has then dripped onto my headers causing the "browning" spots. Which is just BS.:mad:

Her are some pics:

Speedo007

what BS by Yamaha. I guess we've all been washing our radiators with this toxic acid stuff....such bullshit. They probably just cheaped on the nickel plating and now they're trying to avoid having to replace thousands of headers...

Here's mine as it was a month ago, (without radiator cleaning...or polish or whatever applied to the headers)