Just curious about the differences (if there are any)

randyka

What's the difference between the 2011 and the 2012 model besides the jump in price and the change in color?

V

Vapordan

A couple of internals changed, see this comparison on both models at this website

I remember reading somewhere that the colors changed, the weight changed (due to crankshaft), aethestics (stickers), anniversary model introduced (2011), stock muffler aluminum plating. I wouldn't fault anyone for saying nothing changed, in fact some motorcycle magazines claim that Yamaha kept the models the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

FZER

Avid Rider
I heard that the blinker fluid is much easier to change on the 2012. :D

Nope changed the blinker fluid today and da s-it still took 4hrs to do. Not to freakin mention you have to use Yamaha only fluid or you risk damaging the motor and voiding the warranty.

rysyndrome

Nope changed the blinker fluid today and da s-it still took 4hrs to do. Not to freakin mention you have to use Yamaha only fluid or you risk damaging the motor and voiding the warranty.

FYI - the dealer offered to do this free of charge on my '11 so I suspect many could try to have their local dealer do the same if they wanted to purchase the older model for cheaper price, color, etc. Must not be too hard if they are willing to throw that in along with the first oil change.

MojoRisin

While I was dropping off my bike at the dealer I wondered over to the 2012 for another look and they had it priced at $8,500 or whatever the 2011 was.

Last edited:

Crazywb23

There's more tension on the piston return spring....

FZER

Avid Rider
I try not to even go near the new bikes if I test road the fz1 I'd end it riding it home, but if you guys know someone in the south east looking for any Yama. Yama of Bryon Ga is a good dealership.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
What's the difference between the 2011 and the 2012 model besides the jump in price and the change in color?

Lots of funny replies, but on a serious note, when I bought my 2012 model the sales manager told me that the handle bars/gas tank clearance had been increased at full lock because of pinched fingers people were getting with the 2011 model. I have absolutely no confirmation of this from anywhere else, so take it with a grain of salt. It should be easy to confirm if you can get the two side by side, but I can't.