ISO Comfortable Rear Seat

myklobe

I know our FZ8 isn't the best around for passengers, but my wife really likes riding and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for rear seats (or even full seat conversions), specifically for an average weight 5'9" woman. I'm looking for comfort and posture specifically (she complains her butt hurts after even a 15 minute ride, and she slides into me almost every time we slow down).

I've seen the Shads (which look nice, but the the rear still looks pretty small and not super comfortable) and I've seen the Corbin (which I'm pretty partial towards because it's plain black and looks like it sits more upright and flat for the passenger, which could help prevent my wife from always sliding into me when we stop). They seem well built, but wanted some first hand opinions if anyone has heard from their passengers one way or another. There are also ebay special ones, but they are even more expensive than the main name brands I've heard of.

Thanks!

Shad:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/SHAD-COMFORT-Seat-Yamaha-FZ8/dp/B009RUZKAE"]Amazon.com : SHAD COMFORT Seat for Yamaha FZ8 : Everything Else[/ame]

Corbin:
http://www.corbin.com/yamaha/yfz811fr.shtml

eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ8-...ort-Seat-Heat-Gel-Low-High-2528-/390731989624

TorontoAlex

My fiance had the same issue. Both shad and top sellerie are good for her. I dont like the top sellerie so selling it. Kept the shad. I also got the rear trunk carrier and 46l truck with backrest. She like how the rear carrier has handle bars and gives more security cause it cages her bum in. Backrest is great and trunk will hold two helmets or other stuff.

myklobe

Hey TorontoAlex, do you have any pics of the rear trunk carrier on your bike. Her other problem is she has nothing to hold onto, except me, so she feels a little out of control, like she might fall off (this is the first bike she's been on in years). I was actually considering a rear trunk or storage because it looked like it sort of had hand grips per se where they mount up. I'd be really interested to see pics if you have them.

Thanks guys!

myklobe

I broke down and ordered the Shad from Amazon... on June 2... They notified me that they shipped it on June 16, but left no tracking number. Still don't have it today on June 26.

I've emailed Shad twice with no response. Anyone else have this awesome of an experience with their customer service?

I think if it doesn't come by the end of this week, I'm going to dispute the charge to Amazon and order the freaking Corbin that I wanted to order originally haha. Figures :)

jassilamba

I broke down and ordered the Shad from Amazon... on June 2... They notified me that they shipped it on June 16, but left no tracking number. Still don't have it today on June 26.

I've emailed Shad twice with no response. Anyone else have this awesome of an experience with their customer service?

I think if it doesn't come by the end of this week, I'm going to dispute the charge to Amazon and order the freaking Corbin that I wanted to order originally haha. Figures :)

I don't think Shad is making them anymore, and thats prolly the main reason you don't have it yet.

myklobe

And I understand that, but I just wish they'd email me back and tell me WTF is going on.

I just love crappy customer service.

jassilamba

And I understand that, but I just wish they'd email me back and tell me WTF is going on.

I just love crappy customer service.

Totally agree with you, they should have emailed you within a working day of you placing the order.

Or at least have the decency to respond to emails.

Keach

I had Eddie from the fz1 forum do my seat and passenger seat. Very happy with the quality comfort and looks. The rear seat is much larger and flattened out. My wife still slides into me a bit but it's not too bad. I'm way more comfortable on the seat and can now do over 300 miles without being sore. His prices are reasonable and customer service is top notch. U can contact by email at [email protected]View attachment 3588

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bajaedition

I love my Corbin front seat. It is top quality and is way more comfy that the torture device that came on the bike. When I first got it I thoght the edges were a bit rough but after 2 rides they smoothed out real good, guess that is just a visual wear in thing that needs some butt time to push those little corners out.

I guess that makes me stuck with having to get Corbin to match the rear, as of right now I am running the stock seat there, but I have not had anyone sit there so it has not been an issue.

with the cost of seats, I would check Keach's lead. I mean those things get pricy fast for that little rear seat we have

Fazer 8

I love my Corbin front seat. It is top quality and is way more comfy that the torture device that came on the bike. When I first got it I thoght the edges were a bit rough but after 2 rides they smoothed out real good, guess that is just a visual wear in thing that needs some butt time to push those little corners out.

Did it fit right without jacking around with it a bunch? Seems like the early buyers were reporting some fairly serious fit issues. It looks good though and I like that you can buy just the rider's seat - why can't Shad do that? I wouldn't put anyone that I liked back there for too long with the pegs that high anyway, although it's nice to have the option if the right passenger comes along, lol.

Keach

I guess that makes me stuck with having to get Corbin to match the rear, as of right now I am running the stock seat there, but I have not had anyone sit there so it has not been an issue.

with the cost of seats, I would check Keach's lead. I mean those things get pricy fast for that little rear seat we have

For the price and customer service you can't beat it. I think I paid 120 for the front, 90 for the rear, and shipping both ways. Cost me about 250 after the shipping. Seat looks great and is so much more comfortable.

elim70

Another vote for Eddie cope land from the fz1 site. Aka dirt road Eddie [emoji106]

myklobe

Well, after a month and no emails back from Shad, I had to get Amazon to do an A to Z guarantee refund because Shad just wouldn't contact me or refund me. Funny enough, exactly 1 month after I ordered (and already received a refund from Amazon), they shipped it... scheduled for 12 MORE business days!!!! 42 total days to apparently get to my house from order date...

I can't imagine they'd have this bad of customer service and shipping for everyone or they wouldn't be in business.

I wanted a Corbin originally, but Shad had a deal on Amazon, so I figured I'd try it out. Stupid me. Time to order a Corbin. The bar is set so low on getting a seat that they could trip over it. Here we go! :)

9 Lives

My wife comes with me every once in a while, maybe a few times a year. It was torture with the stock seat and no back rest, hated it. So to appease the wife I bought the Yamaha mount and case. Now its not bad at all with her on the back, she leans back on the case and not forward on me. I put a airhawk seat cushion on the pillion seat and she says its very comfortable. This is not by any means a long ride 2 up solution but it makes it much nicer for an afternoon ride of a couple hours. Nice thing about the case is you can take it on and off in a few seconds, you still have the mount but not that big black box on the back all the time.

TorontoAlex

I also bought the yamaha trunk/grab bars/trunk backrest and the airhawk seat. The shad seat made a huge difference as well for her.

I believe my ass needed to be broken in as well as the seat. There isn't much difference between the shad front seat and yamaha front seat for me. I think because my wife doesn't ride much she hasn't broken in her ass yet.

Fazer 8

I also bought the yamaha trunk/grab bars/trunk backrest and the airhawk seat. The shad seat made a huge difference as well for her.

I believe my ass needed to be broken in as well as the seat. There isn't much difference between the shad front seat and yamaha front seat for me. I think because my wife doesn't ride much she hasn't broken in her ass yet.

I doubt if my ass will ever get used to this seat. To be sure, I'm getting more used to the pressure points on it, but to me the main problem is that it slopes down forward to the tank way too much. Why do the bike mfrs keep making seats like this? Geez, make an optional seat for really short people, but don't stick all of us with a seat where you inevitably end up jammed up against the tank.

And when you try to sit further back in the seat (possible when travelling with some speed), as soon as you slow down, or go downhill, or brake, you end up sliding down the seat to the tank while your underwear/riding shorts/pants/whatever get jammed into your crotch. Not my idea of comfortable. Maybe a good seat shape for a race bike, but this is clearly not a race bike, so why didn't Yamaha give it a more street-oriented seat? Anyway, having had a look at Corbin and Shad seats fitted to the FZ8, I'm not sure they rectify my main complaint about the shape of this seat - they still seem to slope down to the tank quite a bit.

TorontoAlex

Ahh the underwear thing reminded me that i should have mentioned pants can make or brake your day. Sounds silly, but hot days suck with jeans. They suck even more with jeans and underwear. I am most comfortable with my joe rocket 12.0 pants and no underwear. The waterproof liner is ok on cooler days. Merino long johns are also great on cooler days as they do not ride up your crotch.

Clothing is as important as riding position and aftermarket seats.

Also if you slide forward, squeeze the tank with your knees.

Im 6.0 185lbs.