Integrated gear indicator!

AlCab

I got back into town tonight and my GI equipped gauge pod was waiting in my mailbox. Below are some pics. The first is a before pic. It will be this weekend before I can wire it up.

It looks real good although I was a little surprised at where he installed it. I would have put it lower and more to the right but that is just personal preference. I think the small LED is a programmable shift light. The pigtail was also shorter than I thought. I may have to splice some additional wire onto the leads.

I will post more when I get a chance to start the install.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

D

Deleted member 438

That loooks great! I wouldn't mind getting that next.

D

DJK1505

I like how it looks. I wonder if there is a way to connect this to the PCV, so we do not have to put any of those magnets around the gear shifter. If memory serves me right you install magnets above and below your shifter, then one on the shifter, this is how it gets its count. With the PCV hooked up in gear select mode, there has got to be a way to tap into that to display the gear. Now that I would be interested in, I just dont want any more additional crap around my gear shifter. Just doesnt look clean to me. If I am wrong let me know, but I thought that is how it worked.

DJ

AlCab

I like how it looks. I wonder if there is a way to connect this to the PCV, so we do not have to put any of those magnets around the gear shifter. If memory serves me right you install magnets above and below your shifter, then one on the shifter, this is how it gets its count. With the PCV hooked up in gear select mode, there has got to be a way to tap into that to display the gear. Now that I would be interested in, I just dont want any more additional crap around my gear shifter. Just doesnt look clean to me. If I am wrong let me know, but I thought that is how it worked.

DJ

If you are asking how the gear indicator works, it reads the input from the crankshaft position sensor and the speed sensor and from comparing the two, it knows what gear you are in. It does not use magnets on the shifter.

Last edited:

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
It actually looks like that is a photovoltaic sensor and not a shift light. It reads light and acts like a switch. I presume that means it will self dim at night.

SWEEEEET!

AlCab

It actually looks like that is a photovoltaic sensor and not a shift light. It reads light and acts like a switch. I presume that means it will self dim at night.

SWEEEEET!

You're right, that's what it is. For some reason, I thought there was an option for programmable shift light. Guess not.

C

Camo

Wonder if there's anyone down under that does it? Shipping to the states and back might make this an expensive luxury.

S

Shock

The States where you can get cool shit if you remember to wear your bullet proof motorcycle jacket and helmet!