Integrated gear indicator!

AlCab

Hey everyone. I thought I would update this thread. I have the GI wired up and the bike put back together but I am having issues programming the GI to learn the bike’s gears. I am working with Acumen on the issue and hope to have it sorted out soon. In the meantime, here is a night pic of the GI to tide you guys over :)

If you have successfully installed one of these on your bike, please shoot me a PM – I would like to ask you a few questions.

AlCab

Look's great Al Hope you figure it out!
And BTW you need to put some miles on that puppy this summer!
I plan on it! I just got it in October and the weather has been pretty wet here.

Looks great but it's not working properly?
It's not but I've got it figured out. Turns out there are two gray wires to going to the ECU and I had connected to the wrong one. I got it rewired tonight but didn't finish putting everything back together. Hopefully I'll get it done by Friday.

AlCab

Success! My integrated gear indicator install is now complete and working properly. I had a minor hiccup in that there are two gray wires going to the ECU, I did not know this, and I connected the tacho wire to the wrong gray wire. Once I figured that out, it worked great.

Very excited to know what gear I am in :) I will post a detailed how to in a new thread when I get a chance.

Here's a video. I shifted through the gears without giving it any throttle since my right hand was holding the camera :)

Acumen DG8 Gear Indicator - YouTube

H

Hoover

Thats great, If I can get back on my bike in the spring, that will be at the top of my list.
1 question though, why does it only go to 6? :rolleyes:

ssky0078

Success! My integrated gear indicator install is now complete and working properly. I had a minor hiccup in that there are two gray wires going to the ECU, I did not know this, and I connected the tacho wire to the wrong gray wire. Once I figured that out, it worked great.

Very excited to know what gear I am in :) I will post a detailed how to in a new thread when I get a chance.

Here's a video. I shifted through the gears without giving it any throttle since my right hand was holding the camera :)

Acumen DG8 Gear Indicator - YouTube

How come the speedo was jumping around? Or is your speedo just that sensitive if you're sitting on your bike and not really moving?

AlCab

How come the speedo was jumping around? Or is your speedo just that sensitive if you're sitting on your bike and not really moving?

The bike is up on a rear stand so the rear wheel is spinning as I shift up and down the gears. So the speedo should change since it reads off the rear wheel.

Blanchy

Hey Camo that 1st Vid looks like mine. If you want one, Pm me can fit one in a day and I'm only a little north of you. This is how mine ended up

And at night

Last edited:
C

Camo

Hell yeah Blanchy!
Once I get my shit together and get one, I'll most definitely take you up on that offer cheers!

Blanchy

Sorry That Vid was not mine. Got one here with my black facia

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIGakPB7Ino&feature=player_detailpage]023.AVI - YouTube[/ame]

Blanchy

Hell yeah Blanchy!
Once I get my shit together and get one, I'll most definitely take you up on that offer cheers!
Mine is a Custom Gipro. Fitted one to another FZ1 but an N model which is very similar to an FZ8. Don't order anything without getting back to me though. PS Cheaper than you think. I also fitted an Odax Illuminated fascia with a photo sensitive switch but that was pricey. For a How I did mine, see this link to see whats involed.

GIpro X-type gear indicator custom install.... - Page 2 - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum

For the Odax

Odax Tach dial - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum

Last edited: