How fast have you gone?

slowkey

Don't think I can change the title of the thread now.

But it has been interesting hearing about speeding laws in other countries.

Really I just wanted to confirm this was the top of the envelope for this bike.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
We also have "Hoon" laws. I don't know if Hoon translates across countries,

I think it's safe to assume that no Aussie slang translates across countries, especially America. The Poms might understand a few of them however. :stirpot:

rajdR

230km/h, took way too long to make it there but I had to try it once.
(Military base, no cars, wide open)

In Sweden if you go 30km/h over they take your licence for at least 3 months and a huge fine.

C

Camo

I mean,I've had Aussie Slang explained to me and I STILL didn't understand it.

We like to explain Aussie slang by using Aussie slang. Know what I mean cob?
Nothing better than the look of confusion on a sepo's face while he tries to figure out weather the piss is being taken :p

sinclap2

Lazy
I mean,I've had Aussie Slang explained to me and I STILL didn't understand it.

LOL! That is understandable as some of it can be a bit obtuse:) some of it is difficult to explain the origins of but UR right the English are more likely to understand it as it is often based on the English rhyming slang (and they shorten the slang too), [The rhyming slang will change usually a single word into a rhyming equivalent everyday thing.] but then we get lazy and shorten the rhyming slang even further.

Quick example:
we often call Americans, Yanks. Which has obviously been shortened from Yankees (yes, it is a generalisation that all Americans are Yankees. But this is slang where generalisation come to live and breed :)). So, from Yankees you turn that into rhyming slang => "Yank" became "Septic Tank", then we shorten that to "Septic" or "Seppo".

Also, some of the crap you hear in movies is absolute BS. No one talks like that. True, our accent will cut through a crowd like an express train through a railway station but some of the sayings they use in movies would make most Aussies cringe in embarrassment.

Whoops, sorry I didn't realise the post was so long!

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
Got caught doing 135Km/h in Brisbane a few weeks. Paid the fine and now on Good behaviour (cannot make any stupid mistakes for 1 year). Cop told me I was lucky I was under 140, as I would have lost my license. I was trying to break in the engine, trying to go above 8000rpm, as I hardly go above that.

Anyway take care and don't speed because you will get caught (just like I did).

ps. I made sure it was safe to speed as it's a 2km straight strech with excellent visibility.

Apparently, the visibility wasn't quite good enough.... you got caught :/

I don't like these threads, they can easily be used as evidence in the future so I'd be careful to admit anything. That said, yesterday I was doing the speed limit (let's assume that was 65mph), the 750 2003 katana behind broke out of formation and passed me like I was stopped at a redlight. :( FZ8 doesn't have top end, but it gets there quickly. The wind is horrible horrible horrible at speeds. The suspension feels like a row boat, very unnerving especially on bumpy pavement.

Tighten up the preload in the back. It made a WORLD of difference for me.

As for posting max speed attained: the number was higher than 55 (mph), but so was the speed limit ......

V

Vapordan

Apparently, the visibility wasn't quite good enough.... you got caught :/

Tighten up the preload in the back. It made a WORLD of difference for me.

As for posting max speed attained: the number was higher than 55 (mph), but so was the speed limit ......

Bad back says keep it soft, ride slower.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
word. That seems a sound plan. I'm still working on demolishing my spine. I have a few years left to enjoy the twisties :)

Tango59

In my younger days....155mph indicated on a VFR. In my older days 146 indicated on my Bandit. I'm not sure about other states or countries but in my state a post on a forum wouldn't be enough to get you charged and unless you were somebody like the guys that post a Youtube video or you were shagging a cop's daughter..... they wouldn't waste their time.

H

Hoover

In my younger days....155mph indicated on a VFR. In my older days 146 indicated on my Bandit. I'm not sure about other states or countries but in my state a post on a forum wouldn't be enough to get you charged and unless you were somebody like the guys that post a Youtube video or you were shagging a cop's daughter..... they wouldn't waste their time.

I shagged a cop's daughter once. Just once though :wav:

FZER

Avid Rider
I shagged a cop's wife one time! That was one of those whiskey nights when I was in my 20's young and dumb, in shape, and told all the ladies I was a male stripper! :rockon:

Larry P

I was leaving a parking lot the other day and somebody asked me how fast I've gotten it up to. I hate these types of questions. Any idiot can go fast in a straight line. I do the damn speed limit and enjoy having 0 tickets in my 11 years of driving, 4 of which have been on 2 wheels.

H

Hoover

I was leaving a parking lot the other day and somebody asked me how fast I've gotten it up to. I hate these types of questions. Any idiot can go fast in a straight line. I do the damn speed limit and enjoy having 0 tickets in my 11 years of driving, 4 of which have been on 2 wheels.

That brings up a good point. How many people can claim "ticket free". HONESTLY.
I am 48, been driving/riding for 32 years both professionaly and recreationaly and am ticket free.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic

Did he ask you to pop a wheelie too? If not, I'm shocked.

C

Camo

That brings up a good point. How many people can claim "ticket free". HONESTLY.
I am 48, been driving/riding for 32 years both professionaly and recreationaly and am ticket free.

Nice job mate, wish I could say the same.
I've been at it for 16 years and lost my licence twice in the first 6 years.
I've had one or two tickets since but for the most part I've learnt to pick my moments.
I also drive professionally and need my licence to feed my family and pay my bills. I'd also love to retire having not ended someone's life due to reckless driving or riding.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Nice job mate, wish I could say the same.
I've been at it for 16 years and lost my licence twice in the first 6 years.
I've had one or two tickets since but for the most part I've learnt to pick my moments.
I also drive professionally and need my licence to feed my family and pay my bills. I'd also love to retire having not ended someone's life due to reckless driving or riding.

It sounds like they are quicker to take your license in Oz than in America. You might have been able to keep it if you were here.