Helmet Reviews: Post your "LID" and how you like it.

cambo

Avid Rider
Check out this LID I'm picking up tomorrow morning. Guy was selling it for $140! I think it looks pretty rad.

A Suomy Spec-1R extreme? I know nothing about it. I just think it looks rad and it matches my jacket.

RAD!

EDIT: Oh snap! I just noticed it's got race numbers on the side. That's at least +8 hp to the wheels.

EDIT 2.0: RAD!

EDIT 3.0: Picked it up...bought it because I felt obliged to. Wasn't so rad in person :(

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
here's my icon airframe manic

It's the reason why I let go of my variant. this helmet just fit my fat *** face better.

Pros:
-GREAT visability
-True fog free shield
-amazing air flow
-bad *** design

Cons:
-Shield locking mechanism is a hassle even without gloves...so I never fully lock the shield down. Still stays down just fine though.

Mirror shield pictured, but I prefer to smoke shield. Too much glare with the mirror.

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict

Shark Evoline2

I'm not really good enough to write up a big professional review but I must say I have rather enjoyed this helmet. For a convertible it's been great. I am no longer so happy with it as I never use it to it's capabilities I have greatly enjoyed it when it was hotter for in-town riding but near the end of the year I had stopped using it as an open-face. It fit's well enough, A touch snug in the cheeks but that's because I've got fat cheeks. It stays exceptionally cool for a helmet with nothing but a chin vent though it does get a bit stale after more than 2 hours. I love the internal shades. Weight is fairly light for the helmet it is as well and it's aerodynamics are great until about 65 to 70 MPH but then on she kind of buffets about a bit with the drag on top of it. It gets a bit noisybeyond 50mph as well, not horrid but it can be a nuisance. Yes I do like and would recommend this to someone who wants a modular I am simply not taking advantage of it's functions and between the race track and a monthly 75+mph highway ride I'm going to look more towards Sharks speed R

Silverliner

I wear a Shoei X-12 in Silver,

(Fit) The helmet fits great after break in.

(Venting) So far it has the best venting of any helmet I have owned.

(Price) It is crazy expensive for a helmet, but I got a killer deal on it. One thing though how much is your head worth?

(Sound) It is the most quiet helmet I have owned in 10 years of riding.

A plus for Shoei is their customer service is awesome. My X-12 didn't fit like I thought it should when I bought it. Called customer service and the had me come to the race shop in Southern California, and they gave me a race fit. Measured my head and added padding to make a perfect fit.:D

Wolf_Hook

This is what I wear.

Pros: Super light.
Great airflow
Makes me look even more like a BAMF

Cons: Sometimes I look too much like a BAMF.
Can't keep the women off me and my bike.

Also those fullface helmets make you all look like nerds! :rof:

Get a real AMERICAN lid boys. :usa:

tiki

Rs-1

I have a Bell RS-1 panic zone. I got this to replace my EXO-500. It's lightweight, the field of view is great. Very low noise and adjustable venting. I got this with the Transitions face shield ( motorcycle closets had them as a combo). The shield was the simplest to change I've ever used. Almost the whole liner is removable, and I do like the replaceable cheekpads. I got the 2XL to fit my enormous head, and although it fit around the top I did have to buy the thicker cheek pads to make it fit right around my jaw (they were about $20). I love riding with this helmet! It's definitely worth the extra money. Luckily the design doesn't look so bad in person :p. (yeah it was 80 bucks less than all the other designs....im cheap)

Last edited:

Landin

I got the shoei XR-1100 helmet.

A really good helmet, good fit after using it for a while.
It's very good ventilation in it as it contains a lot of air ducts.
I have not crashed with it yet, so I do not know if it lasts for a crash yet, but it should probably do =)

When I bought the helmet the dealer said that it will stretch a bit, which it did not. My head has a little special form and therefore I had to use the back of a spoon to form the inside of the helmet, at the pan so that it´s not pressed against the head too much.

The helmet have fog protection on the inside of the visor which works very well, it's never fogging when running hot days.

You can rip all the interior out of the helmet and wash it.

A video of the helmet, explaning the vents etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd_M3RjfYn0]Shoei XR-1100 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet - Ghostbikes - YouTube[/ame]

Fl4sh

Fulmer. It scored high in the test results. Its comfortable, it's attractive, it's perfect in every way to me.

DLSGAP

Cambo... I've ridden with a suomy spec 1r extreme since 08.... Love the helmet. Suomy has sick graphics. The ventilation is great but due to the extra air flow, it's loud... Not an issue for me since I always wear ear plugs. Removable liner, and it's light.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

melbfz8

arai vector 2

its the best helmet design EVER because it has the australian flag on it.
and it looks good.

super quiet. super comfortable. visor easy to change once you get used to it. hardly any buffeting at not allowed to say speeds. hardly get any wind noise.
warning: if you wear earings. you wont be after taking it off.

cambo

Avid Rider
Cambo... I've ridden with a suomy spec 1r extreme since 08.... Love the helmet. Suomy has sick graphics. The ventilation is great but due to the extra air flow, it's loud... Not an issue for me since I always wear ear plugs. Removable liner, and it's light.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

DLSGAP...appreciate the feedback! Yeah I actually grew to like this helmet the longer I walked around the house with it on. You're right, the graphics are sick. I think I was more disappointed that it looked in better condition in the craigslist pics...but oh well. Overall, it was in pretty good condition, I just need to wash the liner lol. Can't wait to test it out! :tup:

Tiffy

My lid

View attachment 1567

This my lid.....great noise level (I can hear my DEVIL RED SPOT can but not the wind) Built in sun visor great for Aussie early morning sun on the commute - however two issues -1. Having visor issues in the rain (drops run down the inside) and 2. the Union Flag colours make me a target at ashes time on the Aussie roads!!:eek:

melbfz8

View attachment 1567

This my lid.....great noise level (I can hear my DEVIL RED SPOT can but not the wind) Built in sun visor great for Aussie early morning sun on the commute - however two issues -1. Having visor issues in the rain (drops run down the inside) and 2. the Union Flag colours make me a target at ashes time on the Aussie roads!!:eek:

where abouts in aus are ya mate?

Mint

I use the “Shark Vision-R”. I bought it recently to replace my 4yr old AGV Stealth.
In the past have nearly always owned Shoei’s or AGV’s, I have a round head and they seem to fit me best , Arai’s are a horrible fit on me...lol.... So I was pretty sure I would come back with one of those two. I must have tried on 30 helmets of different makes and when the girl pointed out the Sharks, I commented that in the past I have never like the fit of them, but she told me they had changed and I should give them a try. Well I was presently surprised....perfect fit...and loads of extras, but not overly expensive. I especially love the Drop down internal Sun Visor. This is brilliant in western Australia, where we get so much sun, and with me working 12 hr shifts, If I travel to work in sunshine , then I travel home in darkness or vice versa, so I was constantly swapping my AGV visor between Smoked and Clear .....no longer though. Tiffy mentions the rain coming in on his Shark helmet, they seem to have dealt with this and the visonR has a lock in seal, to stop this.
Helmet is really comfy (fully removable pads), and noise level seems fine, although I always use earplugs no matter what helmet I have owned. It has a nice wind curtain under the chin which stops the drafts, and if you wear glasses it’s supposed to be specially adapted for them...I don’t wear them, so can’t comment on that. Plenty of vents and a lock that stops the visor from closing completely mean it doesn’t mist up and it supposedly has a bigger viewing area than other helmets. I waited a couple of weeks to get the luminescent one, it looks great at night, when it glows blue...a nice safety touch too. All in all I am very happy with my purchase, and would definitely recommend checking it out if you’re on the lookout for a new lid 

melbfz8

I use the “Shark Vision-R”. I bought it recently to replace my 4yr old AGV Stealth.
In the past have nearly always owned Shoei’s or AGV’s, I have a round head and they seem to fit me best , Arai’s are a horrible fit on me...lol.... So I was pretty sure I would come back with one of those two. I must have tried on 30 helmets of different makes and when the girl pointed out the Sharks, I commented that in the past I have never like the fit of them, but she told me they had changed and I should give them a try. Well I was presently surprised....perfect fit...and loads of extras, but not overly expensive. I especially love the Drop down internal Sun Visor. This is brilliant in western Australia, where we get so much sun, and with me working 12 hr shifts, If I travel to work in sunshine , then I travel home in darkness or vice versa, so I was constantly swapping my AGV visor between Smoked and Clear .....no longer though. Tiffy mentions the rain coming in on his Shark helmet, they seem to have dealt with this and the visonR has a lock in seal, to stop this.
Helmet is really comfy (fully removable pads), and noise level seems fine, although I always use earplugs no matter what helmet I have owned. It has a nice wind curtain under the chin which stops the drafts, and if you wear glasses it’s supposed to be specially adapted for them...I don’t wear them, so can’t comment on that. Plenty of vents and a lock that stops the visor from closing completely mean it doesn’t mist up and it supposedly has a bigger viewing area than other helmets. I waited a couple of weeks to get the luminescent one, it looks great at night, when it glows blue...a nice safety touch too. All in all I am very happy with my purchase, and would definitely recommend checking it out if you’re on the lookout for a new lid 

how do you hide when you've done a runner? ;)

Tiffy

where abouts in aus are ya mate?

I'm in Canberra - been here two years and one of the first things I did was buy my bike.......not too keen on then roads in Canberra (especially in winter) but there are some great rides outside the city.:)

Tiffy

So I take it you haven't had any issues with the rain - maybe Canberra drops are bigger:D...Mine too is the vision R. Loving everything apart from the rain thingy; It may be a fault with the seal on mine, I will check it out. As for the glowy blue one...wow can't wait to see one - it will be great if you go touring in NZ, you will be able to know every time an Orc is near (provided not wearing it of course:rolleyes: