Helmet Reviews: Post your "LID" and how you like it.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Arai Signet-Q

Arai Signet-Q - $540 at CycleGear

This is an elongated helmet, so it fits well for people who find helmets tight front-to-back but loose side-to-side. This makes it the best fit for me I've ever found.

Pros:
Quiet - With the previous helmet, wind noise was the loudest thing I heard. Now, it's the exhaust. With the same earplugs, I can ride for hours without my ears complaining - an hour was my limit before. In fact, today I tried sticking a pair of iphone earbuds into the speaker area (with the old helmet, I could only tell that it gave nav directions but couldn't understand them), and I could clearly hear the very-quiet nav voice over the wind and engine noise at 70mph.

Accomodates glasses well - I wear prescription lenses, and fitting them into the helmet is easy - plenty of space for the glasses temples.

Well made - Arai's philosophy is that a helmet's only job is to protect the brain. That means excellent manufacture, multidensity foam, a simpler shape, fewer holes in the shell, and more adjustability for different head shapes. I've no doubt this will protect me exceptionally well in a spill.

Lots of airflow - This helmet runs plenty cool. I usually ride in triple-degree heat, and this thing is a joy. While it has fewer vents than the old helmet, it flows so much better. No hotspots.

Comes with anti-fog pinlock visor - In high humidity at night, visors tend to fog. This stops that cold. I use a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OS7RYY/"]dark-smoke non-pinlock[/ame] during the day for improved field-of-vision.

Visor is easily swapped - It takes some practice (and it seems insanely tough at first), but I can now change visors with my helmet still on my head. Works great!

Highly adjustable - The cheek pads have peel-away layers, so if I need more space in the face, all I need do is peel the millimeters away until it fits (it fits fine out of the box). Plus, I can order different size cheek pads and helmet liners to further customize the size.

Quick-release cheekpads - Should I take a spill, EMS can pull a tab to release the pads quickly to reduce any neck damage caused by removing the helmet.

Very comfortable - I'm hard to fit for a helmet, as my head is deeper than most. This helmet is very comfortable for me!​

Cons:
Pricey - $540, but worth every penny.

Ugly - I don't like the look of this helmet, from the styling to the sparkly 'diamond' paint. Trick is, I'd rather be seen and be safe than look awesome.

No high-vis paint - graphics cost more, and there isn't a high-vis or retro-reflective paint available. Reflectotape Ho!

Needed to replace breath shield - the odd shape of my head meant the breath shield was jabbing into the bottom of my nose. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WK5IKK/"]$14 later[/ame] and the problem is solved!

No flip-up internal visor - While I loved this feature on my last helmet, Arai made for a safer and better fitting helmet by omitting it. This just means I have to carry a second visor if I'll be out for sundown.​

Bottom Line:

Love it. This thing has turned me into an Arai fan.​

Last edited:

BigOleChalupa

Scorpion

Hey guys.....I use a Scorpion EXO 1100.... It's a super light helmet, with ample airflow, shades, anti-fog shield, and an air pump for sealing it up nicely which reduces wind noise too.
Cost around 279-300 bucks most places.

MotoZen

Hey guys.....I use a Scorpion EXO 1100.... It's a super light helmet, with ample airflow, shades, anti-fog shield, and an air pump for sealing it up nicely which reduces wind noise too.
Cost around 279-300 bucks most places.

I love my exo-1100! I just upgraded from the exo-500, thanks to insurance covering the cost to replace my helmet after my accident and for revzilla putting last year's models on closeout for $250.

I don't think I can ever buy a helmet without some sort of sun protection again.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

redvettx2

I love this helmet. Love the modular face mask, a little wind noise, but with new exhaust you dont notice it much ;) Cant beat this one for $200 buucks. The Built in flip down sun visor is bad ass, Makes you feel like a fighter pilot! I would highly recommend this helmet.

Bell Revolver Evo Matte Black Full Face Modular Helmet

We locked our R&D team in the laboratory and didn't let them out until they had taken the Revolver helmet and turned it into a truly class leading modular worthy of the Bell name. When our engineering team finally emerged, the result was the Revolver EVO. With improved features like a redesigned eyeport seal to reduce wind noise, new chin curtain to keep cold air out, and an improved flip down sun shade, the Revolver EVO has truly taken Bell modular helmets to the next level in rider comfort and performance

Item Details

- Industries first Modular helmet designed for function and performance all in one
- Internal Sun Shade offers "on the fly" protection from the sun without having to stop and change shields
- Velocity Flow ventilation system with FlowAdjust for maximum ventilation and temperature control
- Lightweight composite polycarbonate alloy shell
- Super stable aerodynamic signature resists buffeting and lift
- Integrated speaker pockets for audio speakers
- Contour Cut Cheekpads for superior fit and comfort
- ClickRelease for the fastest, easiest, tool-free shield swaps ever
- NutraFog II superior anti-fog, anti-scratch and UV protected shield
- New redesigned eyeport seal dramatically reduces wind noise
- Removable and washable interior for maximum comfort
- Exclusive Magnefusion magnetic strap keeper (Patent Pending)
- New Chin Curtain prevents cold air from entering the helmet
- Padded chin strap with D-ring closure
- Five-year warranty
- Certification: DOT
- Weight: 1750g
- Tinted shield is not included with this item, helmet comes with clear shield

Manufacturers Part Number

Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet Review at RevZilla.com - YouTube

From AZ also and I needed a cooler helmet for the heat.

It's hot and my black helmets are heat magnets. I snowmobile and love my modular helmet. Never fogs and my goggles never are filled with snow. It is a bit big and bulky(Heavy) and not as cool as the motocross style with goggles but I am always warm and can see. I like the option to flip up the front and talk without taking off the helmet. The dark second light shield is great on sunny days for more light blocking.

I ordered the new Bell EVO Motorcycle Modular from Revilla in white. Ordered it late on Monday afternoon and it shipped the same day. Was in PHX at 2AM Tuesday!

Much lighter and smaller than my snowmobile version. Feels like half the weight and a more compact shell. The second shield is now built into the helmet between the shell. Very cool with a small lever that is spring loaded to flip in up or down. My only issue is the one that comes with the helmet is fairly light shaded. My snowmobile one is black and in high light areas like on snow or the desert it is needed. I might replace mine with a darker one. It comes with a clear front shield but I ordered a Photochromic with the helmet.
Helmet was $199 and the Shield was $119!! It sure works good and in all light conditions. If I was wearing sunglasses like a normally do it would be fine combined with the second shield. If no sun glasses I would want a dark/black second shield. They are replaceable but I have not checked the price yet.

Visibility is excellent and they greatly improved the noise coming into the helmet. Lots of venting that moves air around your head and keeps you cool.
Easy operation of all the components. Great value for the dollar.

F3NIX

I used to use the EVO..now I use the shoei air gt. Worth every penny in size, quietness and air flow. Very important in Phx

Sent from my phone

Perron

I used to use the EVO..now I use the shoei air gt. Worth every penny in size, quietness and air flow. Very important in Phx

Sent from my phone

Had the EVO too, way too much wind. But for the price, it's quite good. I have my brand new shoei air gt waiting to be tested as soon as the snow will be gone

F3NIX

Had the EVO too, way too much wind. But for the price, it's quite good. I have my brand new shoei air gt waiting to be tested as soon as the snow will be gone

You will absolutely love the GT. I use the EVO as a backup. The GT is absolutely worth every penny. The only knock I have on it...shoei doesn't currently offer a tinted shield because of the drop down sunglasses. I want the tinted visor for the look more than anything. I'm sure someone will come out with one soon.

Air flow is awesome

Sent from my phone

Kardiac996

I use the ICON Variant Battlescar in charcoal w/ mirror shield.

Best helmet I have ever used and it matches my 2013 Fz8 very well.

Comfortable, Great airflow, relatively quiet, very light and looks great.

Perron

You will absolutely love the GT. I use the EVO as a backup. The GT is absolutely worth every penny. The only knock I have on it...shoei doesn't currently offer a tinted shield because of the drop down sunglasses. I want the tinted visor for the look more than anything. I'm sure someone will come out with one soon.

Air flow is awesome

Sent from my phone

It was the only downside I had buying it, I like the look of a dark smoke visor and I can't find any online.. I hope there will be some soon!

Thanks for the review, I can't wait to finally try it!

EDIT: Well, well, well.. Some news from RaceVisor! Tinted shields are now available for the GT!

Shoei GT-Air CNS-1 Visors | Free UK Delivery

Last edited:

redvettx2

I use the ICON Variant Battlescar in charcoal w/ mirror shield.

Best helmet I have ever used and it matches my 2013 Fz8 very well.

Comfortable, Great airflow, relatively quiet, very light and looks great.

I don't like the vented sun visors. They catch way to much air at speed.
I have a light weight Klim that flows a lot of air and is pretty cool. The sun visor sucks at anything over 70 as it wants to rip your head off. It is vented like the one above but they still catch lots of air. Was great on the Dual Sport as 70 was about as fast as you wanted to go on those tires.

Kardiac996

I don't like the vented sun visors. They catch way to much air at speed.
I have a light weight Klim that flows a lot of air and is pretty cool. The sun visor sucks at anything over 70 as it wants to rip your head off. It is vented like the one above but they still catch lots of air. Was great on the Dual Sport as 70 was about as fast as you wanted to go on those tires.

Ehhhh i dont notice it till around 90 and even then its a slight tug. If i turn my head into the wind i can feel it obviously but its not a deal breaker by any means. If im going any faster then that im in a tuck hugging my tank to decrease wind resistance and the wind isnt effecting my helmet as its being thrown just above the visor.

I ride street so... short highway runs into a small city so its completely comfortable. Weekends include some canyon carving but overall i purchased it as it was marketed (street riding). Blocks sun with visor, Extra wide peripheral vision which are nice features for this purpose.

I agree with it not being a track day helmet or for super long highway cruises but it is an excellent everyday street helmet.

fz8junkie

not trying to pick a fight but the guys who are bashing the icon variant dont sound like they know what there talking about yes it has a visor and yes it catches a LITTLE drag but nothing retarded youd find riding with a straight up dirt helmet. its vented very well for wind channeling. i also read some said that it doesnt have a good field of view....are you high? the visor is huge bigger then most regular helmets, you look like a freaken avaitor with this thing on....ANYWAY im just standing up for my helmet i love the thing best helmet ever nuff said

Keach

I'm wearing a BILT Spirit (Cyclegear house brand - link to the direct page).

Things I like:

Internal flip-down visor.
  • Very useful when riding into the sun. For simply dialing down the brightness I swap to a smoked visor, but if I need to ride into the sun the combination of the two is wonderful

Cheap ($60)

DOT certified but not Snell certified.
  • I've done a lot of reading on helmets, and have a lot of experience with them in the automotive world. DOT certified helmets tend to be softer than Snell, meaning they'll protect better in most crashes. Snell tends to be a little harder, meaning better protection in a heavier crash, but more concussive injuries at lower (and more common) accidents. This is a personal choice. I encourage anyone to disagree as long as they make an educated choice, so no need to start a flame war. =p

Shaped for deep heads
  • My head isn't as round as a lot of other people's. Bell helmets wobble left/right on me and usually give me a headache. This fits me amazingly well; better than the Bell, Shoei, Scorpion, and other brands I've tried, both M and SA.
  • This shape can be likened to the Arai Signet-Q. It is significantly deeper than the other Arais, which are in turn slightly deeper than Shoei. Roundest of all is Bell. If you fit well in a Bell, this will NOT fit you.

Pull strap on the D-rings and a snap to prevent the main strap from flapping
  • The pull strap on the rings makes removing the helmet much easier. The chinstrap itself snaps to the helmet so the chinstrap isn't loose and doesn't flap.

The vendor (cyclegear) offers a 7-day exchange
  • It's hard to decide if you like a helmet while it's still in the shop. My SA helmet was OK in the shop, but hell to wear on the track, so I really valued the ability to wear for a week. I didn't have to return/swap, but I'm glad to have had the option.
Things I dislike:

Very Noisy
  • I don't have much to compare it to, but there's a lot of wind noise with this helmet. It rarely whistles or anything like that, but riding is a very loud experience, even with earplugs.
  • Adding silicone sealant to where various surfaces meet did not help.
  • This is massively noisier than the Arai Signet-Q. Wind noise is the primary sound with this helmet, with the Arai the exhaust is the dominant noise.

My glasses fog up easily
  • I have no trouble with the shield fogging - just my glasses. The breath deflector over the nose doesn't seem to help.
  • This is only an issue in 30-60F weather. Above that, Visibility is wonderful.

Neutral:

Removable liner
  • I've never removed it, but I suppose it's a plus...

The vents don't seem to do much
  • Open or closed... I don't seem to notice a difference. The helmet's breathing is a function of speed or whether I have the visor up.
  • Less than half the max airflow of the Arai Signet-Q

Since I purchased mine, they came out with a day-glo yellow color. Mine is silver, but I put orange retro-reflective stripes on the back. I really wish mine were more visible to drivers though. I don't really care if I look cool; I want to avoid being hit.

If they could get the wind noise down Bilt would have a damn near perfect helmet. I got the one with the Bluetooth and love it for the price of around 180. I get directions through the helmet and listen to pandora almost all the time (you can do both at the same time as ur music just get quiet and directions are heard over the music). Speakers are plenty loud enough at any speed. Talking on the phone gets tough over 60mph but people can still hear you, just feels like u are yelling to talk over the wind. I just used the helmet to helmet function for the first time a few days ago. It was awesome. With one button it links the helmets, if either person wants to go back to listening to music or getting directions either party just presses the button again. The integrated sun visor is awesome.

Bottom line as a guy who never had a real quiet helmet (had a HJC previously) for the value of the Bluetooth and integrated sun visor, I can live with the wind noise (I just turn up the tunes!). I could see someone having had a quieter helmet going crazy with the Bilts wind noise though.

BILT - Techno Bluetooth Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet - Bluetooth - Helmets - Street - Cycle Gear

MotoZen

If they could get the wind noise down Bilt would have a damn near perfect helmet. I got the one with the Bluetooth and love it for the price of around 180. I get directions through the helmet and listen to pandora almost all the time (you can do both at the same time as ur music just get quiet and directions are heard over the music). Speakers are plenty loud enough at any speed. Talking on the phone gets tough over 60mph but people can still hear you, just feels like u are yelling to talk over the wind. I just used the helmet to helmet function for the first time a few days ago. It was awesome. With one button it links the helmets, if either person wants to go back to listening to music or getting directions either party just presses the button again. The integrated sun visor is awesome.

Bottom line as a guy who never had a real quiet helmet (had a HJC previously) for the value of the Bluetooth and integrated sun visor, I can live with the wind noise (I just turn up the tunes!). I could see someone having had a quieter helmet going crazy with the Bilts wind noise though.

BILT - Techno Bluetooth Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet - Bluetooth - Helmets - Street - Cycle Gear

If it's that loud and you're going for long rides, you may want to consider musicians ear plugs. I've never worn them yet, but I'm planning on ordering some. They aren't too expensive and can really save your hearing. The musicians ear plugs reduce the overall noise level without drastically changing what you can hear. Regular ear plugs block some frequencies way more effectively than others, whereas the musicians plugs drop the overall noise level fairly evenly. Just food for thought if your helmet is really loud.

I have a scorpion helmet with the internal visor and a Sena smh-5. I don't think I could ever go back to riding without them!

Rbk001

If it's that loud and you're going for long rides, you may want to consider musicians ear plugs. I've never worn them yet, but I'm planning on ordering some. They aren't too expensive and can really save your hearing. The musicians ear plugs reduce the overall noise level without drastically changing what you can hear. Regular ear plugs block some frequencies way more effectively than others, whereas the musicians plugs drop the overall noise level fairly evenly. Just food for thought if your helmet is really loud.

I have a scorpion helmet with the internal visor and a Sena smh-5. I don't think I could ever go back to riding without them!

How does the sena hold up over road and wind noise? It is on my list, heard lots of good things about them.

MotoZen

How does the sena hold up over road and wind noise? It is on my list, heard lots of good things about them.

It works great! I was worried about the audio quality so I ordered the upgraded speakers. I've never used the stock ones, so I don't know how they do. The upgraded ones are plenty loud. I've had to turn them down quite often because I tend to turn them up while on the highway, then I get to a stop and they are blasting and actually hurt my ears.

I also ordered the wired Mic instead the boom, just for convenience. I've been told that most people can't even tell that I'm using a headset. My boss is a complete audiophile (I work for an av design company) and he swears it sounds better than my phone Mic and the one in my car.

Last edited:

Vhutchinson

Post up what you are protecting your dome with. Pics and how ya like it, fit, noise, weight, review, etc.

I use a Scorpion Exo 400.

Fits my head the best it seems. A little heavier than others I have held, but I like it. Visor is good and no fog. Easy to change as well.

I get some wind whistle sometimes but if I open the visor and close it, it goes away.

I had a exo 700 that I took head on into a log in my crash and I am still here with no brain damage... Unless you ask my wife... :D

View attachment 3313

I have been using my new Reevu MSX1 helmet with "rear view technology" for the last week. I really like the look and comfort of the helmet. The rear view system works quite well , especially when going high speeds down the highway when I am laying on the tank. It eliminates the need to straighten up to check the mirrors in anticipation of being pulled over by the police for speeding. Lol . It took a couple of hours of use to get the right set up of the mirror system but once its set you really dont have to tinker with it. All in all its a good poor mans version of the new skully thats coming out shortly ! I would recommend it for sure and feel it surpasses my Shoei easily

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

myklobe

Originally, I ordered an Icon Alliance Dark Rubatone Black, but it fit very poorly compared to other helmets I tried on, so I returned that one.

I ended up with the HJC IS-17 Rubbertone. The sizing chart says L for my head size, but the XL fits my 22 1/2 head really well. I had cheek cushions which feel a little weird when I first put it on, but now I've grown to like it.

Good ventilation, good fit, and the built in visor actually works really well. I don't have to wear my sunglasses any more and risk them fogging up under the clear visor.

Easy to open lid and not too too loud on the freeway. Overall, a solid helmet.

master paper clip

Originally, I ordered an Icon Alliance Dark Rubatone Black, but it fit very poorly compared to other helmets I tried on, so I returned that one.

I ended up with the HJC IS-17 Rubbertone. The sizing chart says L for my head size, but the XL fits my 22 1/2 head really well. I had cheek cushions which feel a little weird when I first put it on, but now I've grown to like it.

Good ventilation, good fit, and the built in visor actually works really well. I don't have to wear my sunglasses any more and risk them fogging up under the clear visor.

Easy to open lid and not too too loud on the freeway. Overall, a solid helmet.

That's the helmet I bought when I picked up my bike the icon alliance... and I agree with everything u said, wasn't a great fitting helmet, very noisy and very minimal padding, was great just to get my bike home but had to replace it asap didon't feel confortable riding with it

TorontoAlex

HJC CL-17. Whistles a bit so that sucks. Didn't come with the $4 chin curtain. So I ordered it, but HJC didn't start manufacturing them till 6 months later. So I got the chin curtain, and it popped off about 45 minutes later. Doesn't have the front chin pad either so that also sucks. I guess another $4. I find too much air gets in from underneath (buffeting). Vents don't seem to make much different because of the buffeting. I dunno it's not a great helmet. I paid $130 or so. Get what you pay for. I rather keep wearing my 1999 AGV helmet, but it probably isn't safe anymore. I wear 2 balaclavas and the padding doesn't come back.