Guhl Ecu flash

Bam Bam

Ok guys here is the result from my Ecu flash. This flash does the following, Opens sub throttles completely and more aggressively in all gears,eliminating the "soft throttle response",Reduced engine braking effect.Adds ingnition timing through out the rpm range, Raises rev limiter 500 rpm,removes top speed limiter,utilizes aggressive ignition maps through out rpm range. and can also map fuel tune into ecu eliminating the need for a power comander.
Dyno runs were done the same day ecu was flashed with bike on the dyno.
This bike is completely stock with a slip on can from my 2011 zx10r.

Fz8 guhls - YouTube

Last edited:

waypoint

mod squad
Ok guys here is the result from my Ecu flash. This flash does the following, Opens sub throttles completely and more aggressively in all gears,eliminating the "soft throttle response",Adds ingnition timing through out the rpm range, Raises rev limiter 500 rpm,removes top speed limiter,utilizes aggressive ignition maps through out rpm range and came also map fuel tune into ecu eliminating the need for a power comander.
Dyno runs were done the same day ecu was flashed with bike on the dyno.
This bike is completely stock with a slip on can from my 2011 zx10r.

Fz8 guhls - YouTube

numbers look great but how does it feel? deceleration/engine braking better? flat spot gone? smoother roll on? does it wanna wheelie in every gear? tell us more!!! :D

Bam Bam

numbers look great but how does it feel? deceleration/engine braking better? flat spot gone? smoother roll on? does it wanna wheelie in every gear? tell us more!!! :D

Yes it starts making power faster, the curve feels alot better and it pulls harder. Smoother on off throttle reduced engine braking effect.

Bam Bam

I have rode with the prototype flash for about a little over a month.Then yesterday I took the bike to Guhls so Don could finalize some things and create a fuel tune on his dyno that can be loaded into the factory ecu he then ran a couple runs on the dyno and decided to add some more timing in the low-mid range which the bike really seemed to like.The bike feels much better especially down low.It has a lot more grunt to it and pulls all the way threw the rpm range

waypoint

mod squad
I have rode with the prototype flash for about a little over a month.Then yesterday I took the bike to Guhls so Don could finalize some things and create a fuel tune on his dyno that can be loaded into the factory ecu he then ran a couple runs on the dyno and decided to add some more timing in the low-mid range which the bike really seemed to like.The bike feels much better especially down low.It has a lot more grunt to it and pulls all the way threw the rpm range

sweet! i just had mine done by ecunleashed and, according to ups tracking number, will be back to me tomorrow. i won't do any dyno until i put a pcv on. and i've spent my mod budget for a while. thanks for the info.

RoadKill

i would like to be able to flash it myself. im guessing the hardest things to get would be the software to run on a laptop, the software for the ECU and the device to connect the ecu to the laptop.

Bam Bam

sweet! i just had mine done by ecunleashed and, according to ups tracking number, will be back to me tomorrow. i won't do any dyno until i put a pcv on. and i've spent my mod budget for a while. thanks for the info.

keep me posted on your improvments

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Pretty good gain on the chart but more important is unlocking all of the restrictions. The restrictions on the 8 (same as the FZ1) in the first three gears are a pain and we don't know what we've missed until those are unlocked/noticed.

I'm contemplating my ECU to be flashed by ECUnleashed but I'm also waiting on Ivan to complete his flash programming and see charts from his progress, along with his anticipatede price. He is only doing the Gen II FZ1 at this time though.

Last edited:

Bam Bam

Pretty good gain on the chart but more important is unlocking all of the restrictions. The restrictions on the 8 (same as the FZ1) in the first three gears are a pain and we don't know what we've missed until those are unlocked/noticed.

I'm contemplating my ECU to be flashed by ECUnleashed but I'm also waiting on Ivan to complete his flash programming and see charts from his progress, along with his anticipatede price. He is only doing the Gen II FZ1 at this time though.

Yea you are exactly right nice gains on the chart but its what the chart doesnt see that is huge.with all the restriction removed.I would also consider guhls.As far as Ivans I didnt think he did any flashing I know he uses guhl for the zx10 and 14 stuff.I also have the 2011 zx10r with the guhl ecu and I would say from the zx10r.net that Guhl is the most popular.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Yea you are exactly right nice gains on the chart but its what the chart doesnt see that is huge.with all the restriction removed.I would also consider guhls.As far as Ivans I didnt think he did any flashing I know he uses guhl for the zx10 and 14 stuff.I also have the 2011 zx10r with the guhl ecu and I would say from the zx10r.net that Guhl is the most popular.

Yes, after all of the hype about ECUnleashed, he decided to tackle the FZ1 ECU with help from "unnamed resources" and has a long thread on the FZ1OA site with a bunch of us following along. He is doing all the unlocking and eliminating the throttle snatch but doing NO fuel mapping as he prefers to leave that to a Power Commander. As soon as it is ready for prime-time and some members have bought and provided feedback, I may jump on-board and get mine done. Hoping it's as good as he's hyping it up to be. Thus far, his new charts all look good but like you've said, it is what the charts are NOT showing that are crucial. I am most interested in unlocking the lower end of this bike... Already at 142 HP with it so that is not my goal. :D

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Here is Ivan's full package with what he's done thus far on the ECU. Stock FZ1 is about 138 HP. His full package is most of the mods I've already done to my bike as well. That is 150+ HP.... :eek:

waypoint

mod squad
keep me posted on your improvments
i'll definitely report back.

this is why i finally decided to do it before a pcv. all those restrictions makes the bike quirky and unsettled. especially in the lower gears. here's what ecunleashed emailed me when i first inquired:

"Thank you for your inquiry. We have a great Tune File available for the 2012 FZ8. We work on each of the internal parameters of each ECU including, removing any factory restrictions (ignition and/or throttle), optimize fuel and ignition curves, deceleration maps, throttle maps, rev limit,and many more. This allows us to maximize horsepower while also significantly improving the ride-ability and control of the bike. Plus we are able to accommodate for modifications that have been done to the bike (ie exhaust system, intake, etc)."

also have a virgin set of pilot power 3s mounted. should be a fun and interesting first ride ;)

Reactions: JSP
C

cracker0309

How much does this service normally cost?

Sent from my Evo LTE

Bam Bam

How much does this service normally cost?

Sent from my Evo LTE

Guhl motors price for the ecu flash is $275.00 plus return shipping in house turn around time is 1 day. If you try to reach them its best to call. The number is on their site Guhl Motors Home the flash can be with a fuel tune or without.

Last edited:

waypoint

mod squad
hey dudes. sorry it's taken so long but i've had a bit on my plate. so here's my review and my experience with ecunleashed at $449.

i know that's a big chunk-a-dough to gamble with, but i've had some gripes about the bikes performance that didn't have much to do with how much power it made, so just fuel mapping with a pcv or juice box didn't seem like the answer for me... at least not before the other gripes were handled. besides, we all gotta take the leap every once in a while right.

after one ride with it here's what i, with my limited capabilities, noticed.
the throttle snatch seems to be reduced by about 1/2. this was one of my biggest complaints. low gear rollon in the middle of a tight, steep, downhill corner was sometimes a bit unnerving. Especially after i rode my bros 600rr and it was like butter.

the first three gears now feel stronger/fuller from the very bottom. this one's hard to describe. like you have more horses, but more importantly, like they're more connected to your throttle.

throttle-off/deceleration is awesome. (another of my stock 8 gripes) i can now feel my brakes thru the lever/pedal. more noticeable difference in lower gears, but before, engine braking was excessive and felt all mushed together with the breaks. now i can really discern what's doing what. they change the deceleration mapping just enough to make it engine braking useful but not inhibiting.

in addition to many other parameters they change the fuel map based on the mods i have. i think they got close, but in the lower rpms i think it could use a bit more fuel. maybe in the top too but the friggen bike is screaming up there already. it's much better than the stock mapping. i just bet there's some more grunt down low to be had with a map. good base though.

You can choose stock or raised idle and stock or raised rev limiter. i told them to leave the stock idol and raise the rev limiter. i don't envision myself in that area very often, but it's nice to know that it's there ;) I got up near there once on my first ride and holy shit… don’t know how those guys ride those MotoGP bikes.

the flat spot is all but gone and, with a bit more fuel in the lower rpms would vanish completely. nice!

while ecu was out being flashed i put new pilot power 3s on and i rotated my driven bar clamps around. they were offset to the rear of the bike now they are offset to the front so i have a bit more room in the cockpit. i don't know whether it was the tires, the offset change or both, but the bike now doesn't fight me in the corner and try to stand up. no more wrestling the gorilla. the tires scrubbed in quickly and without slippage (didn't push them hard for 30 miles). by the end of the ride they were soft and sticky and i felt like i rode a gear higher in the fast sweepers and could push much harder than i was in the twisties.

the guys over at ecunleashed seem like good guys. but i seemed to catch them at a bad time with a problem ecu. they have a company that makes their flashing device Piasini. and evidently from time to time there is a problem ecu, something to do with an odd serial number, that has to be shipped to Piasini to be cracked or something. well mine was one of them and they dropped the ball and didn't email or call me to tell me. then the next week the main guy went on vacation and none of my emails were returned. the week after that, when he came back, he called me and apologized up and down for not letting me know that it had been shipped off, and for not returning my emails while on vacation. he then told me it would be the following wednesday before they could get it to me. so there's that. which wasn't fun. true to his word though i got it last wednesday and rode her thursday.

while it was a rollercoaster ride getting it all to finally happen, i'm so much happier with how solid my 8 feels now. i couldn't honestly tell you how much more horsepower it gave me, but i can tell you that she outperforms her former self in many ways. She now rolls on and off predictably and in a manner that's easier to ride, pulls harder, longer and in a very smooth and exponential manner. the more you twist, the less you have to ;)

i have just ordered a juice box pro and i'm thinking that by being able to add a bit more fuel down low i will be in heaven. i will eventually get her to the dyno but i've spent my mod budget for a while.

cheers guys!

Bam Bam

Thanks for the report back waypoint seems like they are doing the same thing as Guhls.Did the add any ignition timing Guhl added some between 5200-5800rpm and the bike really liked it he did it with the bike on the dyno and you could see the differance. As far as the ecu problem I have heard that alot on the zx10r.net site through ecu unleashed and dynatronics which are both owned by Piasini which is a company based in italy.If you use a juice box with a pre set map remember that your ecu is no longer stock fuel map so you cant use a canned map. Guhl has a 1 day turn around for $275.I am also trying to work out getting a Graves full system and then heading back out to Guhls and we will dyno it as it sits, then with the full system so we have accurate gains and he will create a fuel tune in the ecu for the full system. Everything I am finding the full system should pick up around 10 ftlbs at 5800 rpm.