Crankin but no ignition

rocketz

cranking but not ignite

Hi,my fz8 can only cranking without ignition,key led keep blinking on dash with red and black key.does anyone know how to fix it? i can not get into self diagnostic mode and no error code on display.the temperature flash HI even i never turn it on.Fuel pump also not work.Is this immobilizer trouble or something wrong on sensors? battery and fuse ok."HI" indicator lite.Thank you,need expert advise here...

i take video of it,red neither black key work.
VID 00000001 - YouTube

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Not being a prick, but when you don't turn "off" your kill switch..... The fuel pump doesn't prime but you can still crank the bike over.

We've all done it, so I'm not saying your dumb (if thats the problem)

MotoZen

Not being a prick, but when you don't turn "off" your kill switch..... The fuel pump doesn't prime but you can still crank the bike over.

I had no idea. I haven't had a problem so far, but that's good to know in case I do. My 8 is my first bike to have a fuel pump.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Marthy

Been there... change your battery. If the battery go bellow about 9V on cranking the bike won't start. I bet if you bump start it the bike will run. Happen to me few time in the past few week until I finally decide to put a new battery in. You will see the difference when you try to start it.

rocketz

yes,i might be dumb...but not as dumb as you thought:).but i am mechanic and have diagnosis tools with me.the problem is FZ8 got no diagnosis plug on it.and i know how to start a bike properly.

rocketz

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
yes,i might be dumb...but not as dumb as you thought:).but i am mechanic and have diagnosis tools with me.the problem is FZ8 got no diagnosis plug on it.and i know how to start a bike properly.

just clarifying lol I wasnt calling you dumb. But even ive spent about 30 secs going What the EFFF..... oh, dang it *click*

rocketz

key light on dash (immobilizer) keep flashing,sometime it got ERR1.I hope i can plug my diagnosis tools on this bike.but all yamaha dont have it.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Have you consulted the Factory Service Manual?

RocketZ, do you have a factory service manual for your specification bike? What does it say for troubleshooting the immobilizer?

The vast bulk of us are American or Canadian, and our bikes aren't equipped with immobilizer circuits, so we have zero or near-zero experience troubleshooting the immobilizer.

Please be aware that there aren't any legal electronic versions of the service manuals - you HAVE to buy a paper copy. If by chance you do a something search and find a copy, please don't share it - we don't want Yamaha breathing down our necks for copyright infringement.

thach1130

Isn't it nice that Yamaha instills such fear in it's customers....

Ssshhhush. They might be listening to us. What if you pissed them off and they will stop importing our beloved FZ8...oh wait...damn it. All hail Yammy.

I think immobilizer are great in cars but not so much in bike. I used to own a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T and it was constantly getting broken into. Pain in the ass to get repair because each break in cost 2k to fix, but each and every time their attempt were foiled by the immobilizer. On our bike, they could just lift it and haul it away. You don't know pissed off until you have 3 break ins within a 6 month period. At some point I wanted to to set up a sniping position and wait up for them in the middle of the night. Unfortunately NJ tough gun laws dissuade me. I'm so glad that car is out of my life. Got so paranoid at certain night coming home from a night out i wanted to sleep in the car to guard the car.

Last edited:

rocketz

alex

yes,i have FZ8 service manual with me.I heard that yamaha recall and change FZ8 to new immobilizer and reader.I have change immo reader to new one but result is still the same.
Now the condition is totally cant cranking,no ignite,no fuel pump.new battery,no problem with kill switch.I tried red and black key also some result.No clue at all..:eek:

alexk

Weekend Rider
Then you're pretty much beyond what we amateurs can help with.

We don't have the immobilizer, so it's a complete mystery. We don't know if it's supposed to crank if you have a key without a chip, nor what the display would show should you try.

You mentioned that the temp shows 'HI'. I don't know if that's a part of the immobilizer circuit, or if the system really does think the temperature is too high. It's conceivable that the ECU is cutting ignition due to a bad temp sensor. Have you checked to make sure the temperature sensors are operating correctly?

master paper clip

Ssshhhush. They might be listening to us. What if you pissed them off and they will stop importing our beloved FZ8...oh wait...damn it. All hail Yammy.

I think immobilizer are great in cars but not so much in bike. I used to own a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T and it was constantly getting broken into. Pain in the ass to get repair because each break in cost 2k to fix, but each and every time their attempt were foiled by the immobilizer. On our bike, they could just lift it and haul it away. You don't know pissed off until you have 3 break ins within a 6 month period. At some point I wanted to to set up a sniping position and wait up for them in the middle of the night. Unfortunately NJ tough gun laws dissuade me. I'm so glad that car is out of my life. Got so paranoid at certain night coming home from a night out i wanted to sleep in the car to guard the car.

Damn where were u living in Camden?

rocketz

Then you're pretty much beyond what we amateurs can help with.

We don't have the immobilizer, so it's a complete mystery. We don't know if it's supposed to crank if you have a key without a chip, nor what the display would show should you try.

You mentioned that the temp shows 'HI'. I don't know if that's a part of the immobilizer circuit, or if the system really does think the temperature is too high. It's conceivable that the ECU is cutting ignition due to a bad temp sensor. Have you checked to make sure the temperature sensors are operating correctly?

aaahhhhaaaa.....why i never thought,ecu thought its too hot?? ah very good idea man...i do appreciate a lot,and let you know.

master paper clip

roadkill,its because yamaha in my country only handle small bike,not big bike.we here as hobbiest import ourself for the bike.so here i am the only mechanic in my area....and dead end clue haha

call yamaha Europe or USA, have u tried emailing yamaha about the issue