Brake & Clutch levers

i also got the ride it levers and they did the same thing the gold faded and the black also faded just like in the picture above!

rysyndrome

I'm still new to street bikes and have only put about 30mi on my '11 FZ8. What is the benefit to replacing the stock levers for aftermarket ones? Also what's a good handlebar replacement? I'd like to change out for a black one. Thanks

lothodon

Super Moderator
adjustable clutch lever!

as for the bars, i spray bombed mine black, as aftermarket will not have any of the locator holes that are present on the mounted parts. you'll either have to drill the holes or grind of the locator pins.

H

Hoover

I love my new bars. Wider, more control, vision and much less vibration. Check out Renthal's gear.

rysyndrome

I've heard of Renthal from my dirt bike days. Any specific size or model? would like to keep the stock cables for now.

H

Hoover

I have Renthal "Streetfighter" bars. Look back in the mods section and see the pics. They make a ton of different styles. Good quality.

FZER

Avid Rider
Just received my set of ASV C5 Shorty Levers today! Black with Gold adjusters. Installed in 5 minutes and voila! They are sweet. :D Have a pair of Straitline shorty levers on my mtn. bike so I know how much a good set of levers can improve your bikes ride and feel.

Those are really nice. Where did you end up getting them? Any paint fading like the ride it ones?

Goldie.JamesT

Noob question alert!

What are the benefits of aftermarket levers besides asthetics? I was browsing through and noticed there are a few different types and have no idea what kind of lever I'd need!

rysyndrome

I need to save up some cash first but eventually want to get Black Rethal bar and set of Black/Black Pazzo levers. How "plug-n-play" will this be?

hypo

handlebars are rarely "plug n play" but the levers are generally able to be swapped out in less than 5 minutes.

Ott

Just received my set of ASV C5 Shorty Levers today! Black with Gold adjusters. Installed in 5 minutes and voila! They are sweet. :D Have a pair of Straitline shorty levers on my mtn. bike so I know how much a good set of levers can improve your bikes ride and feel.

Those are really nice. Where did you end up getting them? Any paint fading like the ride it ones?

There was an article in a recent Cycle World that farkled up an FZ8, with ASV shorty levers in the mix. They stated that there was a problem with the clutch adjustment dial interfering with the switch assembly. Did you have this issue?

H

Hoover

Noob question alert!

What are the benefits of aftermarket levers besides asthetics? I was browsing through and noticed there are a few different types and have no idea what kind of lever I'd need!

Factory levers are notoriously "mushy". The pivots and adjusters are sloppy and the length means more travel.
Also, many aftermarket levers have break points or flip ups in case you drop your bike. Factory levers will ALWAYS break near the pivot, rendering them usless and make it impossible to ride home.

Unfortunately, the list of aftermarket levers is heuuuuuuuuuuuge and confusing. I have always spent big money on levers before, this time, I went for a set of mid range ones to see if I could tell the difference.

There are several threads on here featuring many different kinds. As a fairly new rider, I doubt you will notice much of a performance difference. You will however notice how cool aftermarket ones look and how crap the stock ones look !!!

FZER

Avid Rider
I think I'm going to start researching some new levers myself. I have huge hands, basketball palming hands, and stop and go the clutch kills me. It's a pretty good stretch.

mckshred

No paint fading - still perfect like the day they arrived. I have not had the issue with it restricting the clutch adjuster either. motomummy.com is where I got them.

The Gold adjusters color match nicely, though hard to tell from a picture, but not burnt orange at all.

Last edited:

Black-n-naked

I just bought me a set of black and gold shorty levers from eBay (at a whopping €23 incl postage;)) and I'm wondering how to go about installing them.