Boots!

D

DJK1505

Just got two pair of Puma boots. Freaking love these things, felt a bit tight at first but man they are comfy! And they are brown, not too many boot companies make brown riding boots.

DJ

C

Camo

Just got two pair of Puma boots. Freaking love these things, felt a bit tight at first but man they are comfy! And they are brown, not too many boot companies make brown riding boots.

DJ
Did you get the shorty style or the full boot?
I ummed and rrrrrr'd over the shorty puma in the black with the white strip for ages but never could pull the trigger.

White Rider

I wear Salomon Goretex tramping boots and Sidi canyons. The first for commuting and the Sidis for touring. Never a wet foot.

the borg

I have these, a bit on the expensive side around 300$, but well worth it. Very comfortable, great protection, 100% waterproof (gore-tex). Breathable unless it's like 35C outside and your stuck in traffic most boots will get warm...highly recommended. Also used to have a pair of Dainese boots for the more casual look.

I have the older version of the boot. I have had them for over 5 years and probably have another 5 years in them. They are great and comfortable and waterproof. I always buy all leather boots because they break-in and fit my feet better. But that is just my preference.

glockman39

I've thought about boots, but I never saw the need to spend so much on pair.

Why? Well, my department buys me a new pair of boots every year, regardless of how used or unused my previous year's pair are. So I use my work boots. Right now that pair are Hi-Tec Magnums. Full ankle support, quick release zipper, and great ventilation.

And they're technically free.

Couple that with my Shift textile jacket and Icon armored riding pants, and I'm good to go.

D

DJK1505

Did you get the shorty style or the full boot?
I ummed and rrrrrr'd over the shorty puma in the black with the white strip for ages but never could pull the trigger.

Got one pair of the shorter ones, they are the dark brown with white stripe, and then the gortex (water proof) brown with cream stripe. Man they are comfy, and look sharp, so I can wear them with my khakis and dress shirt and it looks good. My Icon boots are comfy and I love them, but they are not as classy as the Pumas. I have ordered, this AM, a pair of the TCX Airtech gortex. They are black and all mesh, should be comfy in this summer heat.

FZER

Avid Rider
I just got my pair of Icon Field Armor Boots and...... Yikes.

I threw them on and jumped on the FZ8 and it was troublesome. Getting the giant toe under the shifter was hard enough, and then I'd find my foot holding up the shifter after I had changed gears. Crazy.

One thing I should point out is I wear a size 14 so that's probably a big part of it... But still ;p

Anyone have a go to boot that fits the FZ8 perfectly?

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep my icons or not. I wanted a super good boot for when I'm doing hardcore traveling which I plan to do in the summer, but they might just be to much when I'm trying to zip around in the cities I'll visit. $150.... Idk if I can only be semi happy for that much lol

Yeah I'm not sure who Icon had in mind when making those. I think they are more of a cruiser bike boot. That thick toe is useless when shifting geats.

I've read several reviews on both of these boots and I'm seriously thinking about getting one of them.
Dainese Asphalt or the Dyno's

Last edited:

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
So, funny story about boots. I got the Alpinestars Ridge waterproof boots because they weren't too pricey for dedicated riding boots, and they had the promise of being water proof. Here's the deal: These boots are water proof. However, if you don't keep the top dry, they keep the water on the wrong side of the leather. I remembered, as water began to trickle down my ankle through the giant hole in the top of the shoe, that jeans do not repel water. Even with the jeans on the outside of the boot top, water will still run down your leg into the boot and pool there until you take them off and dump them out. My next set of boots will be some sort of summer boot with ventilation. I'd rather have the water go in and run out than just sit there and bathe my feet. Other than that, they are very comfortable and easy to put on/ take off. If it's dry and cold, they can't be beat.

W

WARPTH

Im running the alpine stars smx1 shorty riding shoe. Very very very cumfy. seem to be warm enough on cold days. and cool enough on warm days. spose thats dependant on your sock choice as well though...

FZER

Avid Rider
I ended up getting some Alpinestar CR-4 gore-tex XCR's. Right out of the box I liked them. They are a little narrow, but my foot is pretty wide. Not quite Nike dual fusion tennis shoe comfy, but very good and getting better everyday. I feel like with the lase up they'll stay on me feet if I ever really need them.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Alpinestars Alpha Touring Waterproof

I recently purchased a pair of Alpinestars Alpha Touring Waterproof boots ($170), and very much like them.

Pros:

• Big enough to fit my flippers (usually US 13 or 14) plus the custom orthotics I wear. I ended up purchasing an EU48. While the boot suggests that's a US12.5, they're significantly larger than the US13 knock-off version by BILT (Typhoon Waterproof Leather $40)

• Comfortable. They hold my ankles nicely, and my feet don't slide around in the boot. I tend to have problems with toe-boxes being too tight, and these are just perfect for me.

• Reinforced pads for shifters make tagging my upshifts from the side much much easier - no need to actually get anything under the shifter.

• Feels well made. Stiff sole, no stitching coming undone... just feels well put together.

• My jeans can fit over them if it's warm, and I can tuck them in my socks if I want to block more wind out. I'm wearing BILT Ironworker Kevlar jeans.

Neutral:
  • Waterproof (I think... haven't tested it, but my feet get just as warm as in my usual leather boots. No wind gets through at all)

• Retro-reflective heel marker (picture) so drivers can see me walking to my bike. I doubt they can see it when I have my feet on the pegs though. =p

Cons:

• Loose on the lower calf. Call it space to tuck bulky pants in, but either way it means that when I walk in them my boots strike my legs with every stride. I can get used to it, but it really isn't pleasant.