Boots!

Glovik

I just got my pair of Icon Field Armor Boots and...... Yikes.

I threw them on and jumped on the FZ8 and it was troublesome. Getting the giant toe under the shifter was hard enough, and then I'd find my foot holding up the shifter after I had changed gears. Crazy.

One thing I should point out is I wear a size 14 so that's probably a big part of it... But still ;p

Anyone have a go to boot that fits the FZ8 perfectly?

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep my icons or not. I wanted a super good boot for when I'm doing hardcore traveling which I plan to do in the summer, but they might just be to much when I'm trying to zip around in the cities I'll visit. $150.... Idk if I can only be semi happy for that much lol

C

Camo

Yup, I tried the field armour and the wet weather ones. Shipped them from the States to try them on and decide to sell them on fleaBay the next day.
I dig the Icon gear and I have a jacket and pants I'll swear by but I'll never buy another pair of boots from them.

I use these-
Alpinestars Smx5 Boots - ridersdiscount.com
I shopped around and got them on sale for $160. They are also wide fitting and run a fraction bigger than the size chart..Perfect for my wide size 14 hoof ;)

TeleRob

Yeah I'd think those would be too bulky. I had to pick up some boots when I left the dealership just so I could get home. Ended up getting Alpinestars Smx-5 as that's all the dealer had that I liked. I like em though. You might try to ditch the rubber foot pegs and adjust the space of shifter.

D

DJK1505

I have the field armor, super duty 4, and patrol water proof I like all of them that I have. I do have adjustable rear sets and run GP shift which means my foot is on top of the lever most of the time. I just ordered a pair of Puma boots that look alot nicer but not as bulky. That sucks you dont like the boot, but they are quite bulky.

DJ

lyric911

2 things:

1) Adjust the position of the shift lever if it's causing you problems. In case you don't know, you just have to loosen the two lock nuts on the shift lever linkage, then twist the rod itself to move the lever up/down. I too am a larger guy and I had to raise mine about 3/4" for it to be in the right spot for my big feet.

2) If your foot is still under the shifter after you've shifted, your feet are in the wrong spot. You shouldn't have your heels on the pegs, but the balls of your feet. Move your foot forward to shift, then move back. I'm a size 13 or 14 depending on brand, and there isn't a shoe out there that would make my toe be stuck under the lever unless I'm in the middle of a shift. Not saying this is what you're doing, just something that came to mind as I read your post that might be contributing towards the problem.

lothodon

Super Moderator
sidi has (had?) an offshoot company (budget line perhaps) that made some amazing boots.

Brand name is Setup. Not sure if they are still available but they are the best boots i've ever worn out of the 8 pair i bought. not armored like a tank but thick enough to take a fall.

Did I mention they were only $135 NEW! got them through MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More!

by the way, these are size 13 and i have NO issues with the toes....and they are SUPER light, lighter than my tennis shoes in fact.

Last edited:

ZIA_Zen

I like the look of the ICON Field boot, but I thought it was going to be too bulky. I'm not sure why ICON made a riding boot with such a large toe.

I have been riding with TCX X-Cube boots for about 7 months. They are waterproof and have a nice combonation of stiffness and comfort.

TCX X-Cube Boots - RevZilla

Revzilla has numerous customer reviews on this boot if interested.

DownhomeMoto

I also have the icon field armor as well. I wear a 13 and I have had no issues with shifting. I also have ridden a r6, sv, fz1, and a speed 3. I love these boots.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I like the Sidi Air boots for summer riding. Great fit and keep cool.

C

Camo

I liked the Sidi boots as well BW, I'm just a tight bastard and couldn't bring myself to cough up the dough lol.

H

Hoover

I wear Sidi Verterbrae's

Love them, had them for years, put thousands of miles on them and every time I put them on, they feel brand new.

I paid a bunch for them but they are such high quality, I dont care. Worth every dime.

Also, you can spend all day in the stands/ pits/ wherever and not feel like you are wearing clown shoes.

I am size 12 and they fit any bike just fine.
:2cents::2cents::2cents:

jumb5150

My Icon Tarmac boots are perfect for my fz8. Its also comfy as hell to boot (pardon the pun)

Last edited:

lothodon

Super Moderator
A note about the Setup brand: Setup is a brand developed by Sidi a few years back. The idea was to design “value priced” boots for every-day riders that performed well for a reasonable price. The popularity of the boots has been good, but the recent devaluation of the dollar has short circuited the “value priced” part of the equation, so therefore the brand has been discontinued in the US. The boots you see here are on closeout and will not be available after our inventory is gone. Please use the drop down menu below to view remaining sizes/colors.

from www.newenough.com

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I have been wearing Joe Rocket Big Bang boots. They are fairly comfortable, a little on the warm side, but I would rather have my feet well protected.

Speedo007

I have these, a bit on the expensive side around 300$, but well worth it. Very comfortable, great protection, 100% waterproof (gore-tex). Breathable unless it's like 35C outside and your stuck in traffic most boots will get warm...highly recommended. Also used to have a pair of Dainese boots for the more casual look.

TeleRob

When I want waterproof on the alpinestars I put tape over the vents. Close enough :) most I my riding is in the non rainy season

mckshred

I have these also, LOVE them!

Ditto that on the Big Bang Boots! I've had them for about 3 months. They are a little heavy but feel indestructible. I wouldn't want to spend all day walking around in them, but for riding they are tough as nails and comfortable.