Airbox mod pics anyone?

beefcake morris

I just completed the mod, and yes, it is certainly noticable! There seems to be more mid-range punch than before. Love it!

I just did the mod myself after installing my AIS blockoff plates. I will say forsure there is a nice punch between 4,500 and 6,000 rpms.

Black-n-naked

Done!
Thanks for the pics, they were a clear guide on what to cut and what to keep.
Haven't noticed much difference yet though but it was also a very small testride so I might notice it on my next ride.;)

lothodon

Super Moderator
get the engine up to temp and from a near stop dump it hard. let me/us know if the acceleration is improved as well as the hesitation and dip at approx. 4k.

impostor1981

I think you would have to dyno it to synch everything and than you could feel the difference ;-) I will do it but just not yet

Lee_533

I agree...I do want more power down low but at the same time, wouldn't you have to tune it after? I would imagine that the engine would run either leaner or richer after this mod. Wouldn't that be risking burnt valves or heads? I plan on doing this mod but I think I'm going to invest in a Power Commander and auto tuner first.

Koeke

Is the airbox mod worth it? It is a very cheap mod so I'm thinking to do it also. No negative experience, water in the box when cleaning/ raining? Do i need a powercommander ( not so cheap anymore)? Power difference? My exhaust (leovince lv one carbon slip-on) has some popping, is this mod going to make it worse or better because he gets more air? can anyone who did this mod answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lothodon

Super Moderator
given the option i would do it again, but not take out all the plastic at once. no water issues for me at all.

power difference is of course unable to determine as our butt dyno is far from accurate, but you don't NEED a pcv. it does change the sound of the bike a little as you can hear a difference in the acceleration note of the engine.

i cannot comment on the exhaust popping as i did the smog plate removal at the same time.

the single drawback i seem to get is an occasional hesitation when i crack it wide open with a cold engine. almost as if it dumped all air and no gas for a second.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
So, I finally got around to doing this last night. Installed a KN filter and trimmed the airbox.... My initial reaction would be HOLY %$#%!!!!!!!! I have to admit I didn't expect that noticeable of a difference but boy was I wrong. The second I fired it up I could hear the difference. It sounded "growly-er." And then I took it out for a short ride. Much smoother throughout the entire RPM range and a noticeable difference in power. Wish I had done it sooner.

For reference I have the stock exhaust and no PCV. This is the only engine mod I have made so far.

sempre1

given the option i would do it again, but not take out all the plastic at once. no water issues for me at all.

power difference is of course unable to determine as our butt dyno is far from accurate, but you don't NEED a pcv. it does change the sound of the bike a little as you can hear a difference in the acceleration note of the engine.

i cannot comment on the exhaust popping as i did the smog plate removal at the same time.

the single drawback i seem to get is an occasional hesitation when i crack it wide open with a cold engine. almost as if it dumped all air and no gas for a second.

Can you send some pix on how to do it the smog plate removal?
I'm planning to do this mod this weekend.

kbrink

For anyone that has done this airbox mod and who is still running without a power commander, and stock air filter, have you noticed a decrease in low end power?
I completed this mod and it might just be my imagination, but it feels to me that the low end punch that it once had, is noticable softer. I do feel there is a better top end rush now! ;)

lothodon

Super Moderator
same setup as mine but no so much a lack of power, just need to have a warm engine. the cold engine causes a bit of hesitation (i call it too much air) when you go from idle to wide open throttle (or at least close to wide).

kbrink

same setup as mine but no so much a lack of power, just need to have a warm engine. the cold engine causes a bit of hesitation (i call it too much air) when you go from idle to wide open throttle (or at least close to wide).

I think I might have the same thing going on. Did you help this by increasing your idle speed?

DLSGAP

This is next on my list. I just moved and can't find my dremel so I may have to go shopping first :)

razz

I had to put the standard filter back in mine after doing the airbox mod , cos she ran lean when flat out

12marsFZ8

its 6am on a sunday and i am awake, sounds like the perfect time to cut a hole bigger in the intake. happy sunday everyone!

V

Vapordan

its 6am on a sunday and i am awake, sounds like the perfect time to cut a hole bigger in the intake. happy sunday everyone!

What part of Michigan are you? I caught site of a raven 2012 floating down, think it was I-94, about 4 weeks ago. jeans, white t-shirt. grey or white helmet going south up near around birch run (was a lot more south than birch run but that's the closest town that comes to mind).