Airbox mod pics anyone?

lothodon

Super Moderator
anyone interested in airbox mod pics? i'm shocked at how little air the fz8 is given through the frame holes and intake. since i was out to do smog plates i figured i'd do the mod since i was in there already.

jumb5150

Im thinking about doing this mod soon can you please post side pic. Thanks

Btw, really clean job u did there.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i still have to smooth the edges as the dremel got away from me a few times and left nicks but here it is (upside down) with just 150grit sanding.

lothodon

Super Moderator
in theory yes. the idea is that if you provide MORE air for the engine it will give you better performance. by changing out the muffler and adding a K&N or BMC air filter you're giving the engine more breath-ability but still restricting the intake due to the terribly small inlet.

it's pretty much a free mod (other than time and perhaps sandpaper) and it made a difference on my buell back in the day so i figured it surely cannot hurt.

lothodon

Super Moderator
update: DO THIS MOD!

throttle response is so much better, actually noticeable, not just in theory.

Bighitmatt

HOLY CRAP!! This mod is Freekn sick! I took it on last night. Very easy provided you have a dremel and long/skinny enough Allens to remove the velocity stacks. Total project took about 1 1/2 hours. This morning I rode about 90 miles and I have to say it is well worth the time and effort. The throttle response is VERY noticeably better and it doesn't seem to bog as bad around the 4k-5k range. I also have an Akrapovic slip-on and PC5 map. The bike seems soooo much more playful. The sound of the bike is noticeably different as well, but only slightly. It sounds a little more throaty on acceleration, thats about it. As far as fuel consumption being bad, it doesn't seem any worse, but I can imagine its actually the rider creating the consumption issue now! lol.

lothodon

Super Moderator
ok, i'm glad someone confirmed what i was afraid to post. yes, it does make the exhaust sound different. not sure why or how, but it really does.

Bighitmatt

ok, i'm glad someone confirmed what i was afraid to post. yes, it does make the exhaust sound different. not sure why or how, but it really does.

Haha! Yeah, I was hesitant to even write that part because I'm sure there is an FZ-8 "noise expert" out there that could tell otherwise, but to me it IS slightly different.

Thanks btw for the pics. I have been wanting to do this mod for a while, but never had decent pics of what the hell to cut out!

jumb5150

I did mine last night and I didint leave the shelf in the front. i totally cut everything nice and even. I hope there is no real adverse effect to this.

H

Hoover

Induction noise is better than exhaust. I ran a pair of 48 Weber carbs on a Lotus twin cam for years.
Trust me, the noise of those carbs sucking air was soooo much cooler than the exhaust.

mano1192

HOLY CRAP!! This mod is Freekn sick! I took it on last night. Very easy provided you have a dremel and long/skinny enough Allens to remove the velocity stacks. Total project took about 1 1/2 hours. This morning I rode about 90 miles and I have to say it is well worth the time and effort. The throttle response is VERY noticeably better and it doesn't seem to bog as bad around the 4k-5k range. I also have an Akrapovic slip-on and PC5 map. The bike seems soooo much more playful. The sound of the bike is noticeably different as well, but only slightly. It sounds a little more throaty on acceleration, thats about it. As far as fuel consumption being bad, it doesn't seem any worse, but I can imagine its actually the rider creating the consumption issue now! lol.

Hows the decel pop now, you notice any change or increase in decel pop? I would do this but then Id need to get the PC retuned...

lothodon

Super Moderator
i meant the overall sound, wasn't sure if it was air getting sucked in or more flow out the exhaust.

as for the lip on the bottom, i'm guessing (totally guessing) that it's more of a water block than anything else. i don't see much water getting by anyway but i would think that lip is there to stop any.

as for the decel pop, i did the smog plates at the same time so i can't comment.