Airbox mod pics anyone?

Harrywz

only if the warranty concern is directly in line with the modification.
so if you blow your motor due to a lean out. than no. yamaha wont cover it.
if your control box goes faulty, than running the bike lean had nothing to do with it so its still covered by warranty.
well in australia anyway.

Problem is once you modified the airbox, blame will rest on your shoulders. Yamaha will not cover under warranty as it is modified from factory specs and the onus is on you to prove that this did not cause malfunction.

lyric911

Problem is once you modified the airbox, blame will rest on your shoulders. Yamaha will not cover under warranty as it is modified from factory specs and the onus is on you to prove that this did not cause malfunction.

This is not true in the USA. Cannot speak for other countries.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i'm pretty sure if yamaha wanted to deny a warranty claim ANY mods done by non-dealer mechanics could void it. even a SLIP-ON!

F

Fazed

Sorry for digging up an old post, but this is my first FI bike and I want to understand it a bit more. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My understanding is that the O2 sensor sniffs the exhaust and it determines if the bike is lean or rich. This signal goes to the ECU which then adds or subtracts fuel as appropriate. On a standard ECU it adjusts it to maintain a factory set value. By adding aftermarket pipes and enlarging airbox holes the standard ECU will add or subtract fuel dependant on what the O2 sensor has detected the mod has done.

So in summary, any mod that is done to the bike will be compensated for by the ECU and the o2 sensor, but only to the factory set A/F ratio.

Again please point me in the right direction if I am wrong.

Neil

Marthy

Biggest concern is running lean and damaging the bike. Should have waited to do the air box mod. Marthy pointed out I can put the DB killer in and add some restriction... not sure how much it will help but it is a thought. I know they come lean from the factory (so I've been told). I know lots run the slip on without PCV but will adding the air box mod make it that much more lean? Or I may be fine? Plan on getting a PCV still, but may not be able to get one until Christmas. So maybe 2k miles before then...

I know (just remember) the CO can be adjusted on the FZ6. Something you can mess around on the 8? Remember the thread on the 6R forum about the subject and how much we all tried with no success...lol

I can't remember all the detail but it was something with grounding 1 wire to the frame and you were able to adjust the fuel trim from the dash. Ask ChevyFazer... He did it on his ride if I can remember well.

Here we go, finally found the thread: http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/how-tos/30125-enable-co-adjustment-usa-only-lean-richen.html

Last edited:
V

Vapordan

Sorry for digging up an old post, but this is my first FI bike and I want to understand it a bit more. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My understanding is that the O2 sensor sniffs the exhaust and it determines if the bike is lean or rich. This signal goes to the ECU which then adds or subtracts fuel as appropriate. On a standard ECU it adjusts it to maintain a factory set value. By adding aftermarket pipes and enlarging airbox holes the standard ECU will add or subtract fuel dependant on what the O2 sensor has detected the mod has done.

So in summary, any mod that is done to the bike will be compensated for by the ECU and the o2 sensor, but only to the factory set A/F ratio.

Again please point me in the right direction if I am wrong.

Neil

Spot on. The performance mod factsheet is here.

jeffcali

I've got the 2Bros slip on, k&n filter, and smog block off showing up.

I'll do the airbox mod too...but should I wait till I get a pc to remap before installing everything at once?

Perhaps I'll just do the slip on and filter first...

Thoughts?

F

Fazed

I've got the 2Bros slip on, k&n filter, and smog block off showing up.

I'll do the airbox mod too...but should I wait till I get a pc to remap before installing everything at once?

Perhaps I'll just do the slip on and filter first...

Thoughts?

I've been running around with the airbox mod and no PC. You will need a PC to take full advantage of it though.

Ignacio-Arg

So after reading this thread my conclussion is that I need to install a pc before doing this air box mod, just to not compromise the bike to run lean?

I that correct?

I just bought a Yoshimura exhaust and a K&N air filter. If I install them without a PC, will my bike run lean?

I had to put the standard filter back in mine after doing the airbox mod , cos she ran lean when flat out

Hey! Sorry for the question, but how do you know that?

B

bren

this may sound stupid.. but how do i get to the airbox to pull it out? I havent taken this part of the bike apart before..

W

WARPTH

this may sound stupid.. but how do i get to the airbox to pull it out? I havent taken this part of the bike apart before..

:hbwall: :rtfm: in the section where it says how to replace the air filter mate....

F

Fazed

If my power commander arrives for the weekend I'll take photos for you.

B

bren

approx what is the price for the power commander?

Seriously thinking about getting one if it doesnt break the bank!

Takdogg

Removing the airbox

So I just installed the K&n filter. I've been reading up on the airbox mod and I am wonder how the airbox actually is removed? When I installed the new filter I poked around and didn't see where it's connected so a can remove. Anyone that has a clue please let me know, Thanks.