Would you recommend 600 mile service at the dealership?

DLSGAP

I've done my own on ever bike I've ever had. The dealer I bought my fz from quoted me about 300 bucks for it which I laughed at.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

Gary

Take to the dealer for first one

I have a Honda XR650L that I changed the oil myself the first time but I ran into a big problem. The oil drain plug in the frame was stripped when I took it out. I took the bike back to the dealer but Honda denied my claim saying I stripped the bolt not them. The bolt was difficult to get out so I knew there was a problem immediately. The bike was in the shop for a couple weeks waiting for Honda to decide what to do. It's fixed now but from then on I always take a new bike to the dealer for the first service.

thach1130

No, that is now how warranty works. Warranty is not something you lose completely if you do something wrong. They might not agree to fix what you messed up but warranty still apply to other component. They would have to prove the failure is related to your installation of the component. Not taking it in for 600 miles oil change will not void your electrical warranty or even drive train warranty. Plus, unless you changed oil with using a hammer or rock, i doubt you will be causing catastrophic failure.

Garry, you said you stripped the bolt, you mean the threads on the bolt or the hex shape top of the bolt? If it is the hex shaped portion then get a proper socket wrench instead of using a crescent wrench.

Last edited:

JSP

Administrator
No, that is now how warranty works. Warranty is not something you lose completely if you do something wrong. They might not agree to fix what you messed up but warranty still apply to other component. They would have to prove the failure is related to your installation of the component. Not taking it in for 600 miles oil change will not void your electrical warranty or even drive train warranty. Plus, unless you changed oil with using a hammer or rock, i doubt you will be causing catastrophic failure.

Garry, you said you stripped the bolt, you mean the threads on the bolt or the hex shape top of the bolt? If it is the hex shaped portion then get a proper socket wrench instead of using a crescent wrench.

You are correct.

I assume he means the pan stripped. The pan is aluminum, the bolt is steel. Horrible combination. Aluminum pan will lose every time.

cambo

Avid Rider
Picked up 3qts of Valvoline 10W-40 non synthetic...the only freaking 10W-40 non synthetic I could find anywhere! I checked and it's got that JASO-MA rating on it so it's good to go. Anybody have any opinions on this stuff?

Gary

Yeah the threads of the bolt were stripped. The bike has 2 drain plugs. One in the oil pan and one in the frame. The frame plug was stripped. I had to pay for the repair. They had to put a helicoil in the frame to fix the threads plus a new plug.

reALIGNed

You are correct.

I assume he means the pan stripped. The pan is aluminum, the bolt is steel. Horrible combination. Aluminum pan will lose every time.

wrong again.........the honda xr650L ( along with many other daul purpose and street bikes ) has a drain plug in the frame tube, oil is piped thru the frame and into an external oil cooler. Some of the older Honda's have a dry sump lube system, whereas a conventional oil pan/plug is nonexistant.

JSP

Administrator
wrong again.........the honda xr650L ( along with many other daul purpose and street bikes ) has a drain plug in the frame tube, oil is piped thru the frame and into an external oil cooler. Some of the older Honda's have a dry sump lube system, whereas a conventional oil pan/plug is nonexistant.

You know... I totally missed how we ended up on an XR650L. My mistake. Thought we were talking about the 8.

But that only makes one wrong... not "again" ;)

reALIGNed

lol, i was relating this "assumption" thing with the lubing of the chain thing, ( I qouted you wrong there too)....no worries ;)........also, keep in mind, us readers have to realize when you talk about your bike on this forum, you are talking about a Suzuki, ...not an FZ8.........;)

JSP

Administrator
lol, i was relating this "assumption" thing with the lubing of the chain thing, ( I qouted you wrong there too)....no worries ;)........also, keep in mind, us readers have to realize when you talk about your bike on this forum, you are talking about a Suzuki, ...not an FZ8.........;)

Or XL650Ls :D. All good.

G Chase

Pillion
I know they don't do much for a 600 mi. check. The only reason I let them do mine is because it might be less likely that they stroke me if I take the bike in later with problems. My first check cost me $140.00. An expensive oil change.

They stroked me anyway when I complained about crappy running. They told me to put a PCv on it and it would smooth out. And I was a mechanic at that dealership years ago too!

131FZ8

My dealer said first check is $60. I normally maintain my own equipment but that seams reasonable to me.

Mike

cambo

Avid Rider
The dealership I bought my fz8 wanted $180. The only other local (within 30 miles) Yamaha dealership wanted $250.

Ridiculous! For 60 bucks I'd definitely do it.

I did the oil change by myself yesterday, piece of cake. Although it was a bitch trying to get the oil filter off. First I tried a filter socket...stripped the filter. Then I tried the rubber grip wrench thing...wasn't enough room to get a good tug. Then I tried someone's method of piercing the filter with a screwdriver and using that as leverage...only tore through the can. FINALLY, I used a set of filter pliers and that did the trick! lmao! 1 hour and 3 trips to autozone later...success!

Anyway, I decided I'm still going to take it to the dealership to get the 600 mile service. Hopefully they knock down the price a bit seeing as how I already did the oil change. I really am, at this point, paying for the official 'check' in the checkbox for the recommended service and the general peace of mind that everything about my bike is up to par.

Also, if for whatever reason I sell my bike down the road, I can honestly say I took it in for all recommended services. And that's something I think will give peace of mind to future prospective buyers.

DanS

Commuter
The dealership I bought my fz8 wanted $180. The only other local (within 30 miles) Yamaha dealership wanted $250.

Ridiculous! For 60 bucks I'd definitely do it.

I did the oil change by myself yesterday, piece of cake. Although it was a bitch trying to get the oil filter off. First I tried a filter socket...stripped the filter. Then I tried the rubber grip wrench thing...wasn't enough room to get a good tug. Then I tried someone's method of piercing the filter with a screwdriver and using that as leverage...only tore through the can. FINALLY, I used a set of filter pliers and that did the trick! lmao! 1 hour and 3 trips to autozone later...success!

Anyway, I decided I'm still going to take it to the dealership to get the 600 mile service. Hopefully they knock down the price a bit seeing as how I already did the oil change. I really am, at this point, paying for the official 'check' in the checkbox for the recommended service and the general peace of mind that everything about my bike is up to par.

Also, if for whatever reason I sell my bike down the road, I can honestly say I took it in for all recommended services. And that's something I think will give peace of mind to future prospective buyers.
Sorry you had so much trouble Cambo, if you lived a little closer we could have knocked out your 600mi service check and a twelve pack of Shiner Bock for only $14 + oil & filter

socal

i took mine in. and had them write down what i wanted checked haha bolts and stuff was my main concern.

DLSGAP

My dealer said first check is $60. I normally maintain my own equipment but that seams reasonable to me.

Mike

Wow.. That's crazy low for a dealer. Which dealer? Maybe they'll trade me straight up my fz for a new r1

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

9 Lives

Mike

There is no way they can do everything they are supposed to for $60 unless there doing the labor for free. I would guess they are doing the oil change and that's about it.

131FZ8

My dealer said the first service includes oil change, checking tightness of bolts and adjustment of chain. Owner said all in all it takes an hour and runs $60. They are a great dealer and gave me a screaming deal on my bike and accessories.

K&C CYCLE- YAMAHA
1067 NATIONAL RD SE (RT40
HEBRON OH 43025

Mike

cambo

Avid Rider
Just a quick blurb here...since changing the oil, I've noticed the idle temp, well, the operating temp in general, has gone down quite a bit. Before it would hover around 190F...going as high as 205 while sitting in traffic or cruising at hwy speeds. But since the oil change (to Valvoline and a K&N oil filter)...idle temp is around 155 and it only goes as high as 170 so far. Is this just an effect of fresh engine oil? Should I expect to see the temps rise as I near oil change time again? Just curiosity at this point...not fretting over it or anything.

Sorry you had so much trouble Cambo, if you lived a little closer we could have knocked out your 600mi service check and a twelve pack of Shiner Bock for only $14 + oil & filter

right on dude! you are a man of baller status taste. If we were working on the bikes at my place, we'd be drinking Busch. hahaha