Would you recommend 600 mile service at the dealership?

RoadKill

Just a quick blurb here...since changing the oil, I've noticed the idle temp, well, the operating temp in general, has gone down quite a bit. Before it would hover around 190F...going as high as 205 while sitting in traffic or cruising at hwy speeds. But since the oil change (to Valvoline and a K&N oil filter)...idle temp is around 155 and it only goes as high as 170 so far. Is this just an effect of fresh engine oil? Should I expect to see the temps rise as I near oil change time again? Just curiosity at this point...not fretting over it or anything.

my fans come on at 214F. on a 45F day cruising at about 163F in the summer maybe 183F cruising.

toothycardus

I've logged 565 miles as of this morning and I guess it's about time to think about that 600 mile service. My questions is: Do I really need to go to the dealership to accomplish? Do they do anything special other than the oil change?

I've gone over jumb's instrucable (thanks jumb) and I'm fairly confident I can change the oil myself...which leads me to another question:

When they say "mineral oil", is that the same as your standard, non-synthetic oil? Or is there a, no kidding, type of engine oil out there called mineral oil. An amazon search doesn't bring up sh*t when I try to look for 'mineral oil'.

Thanks for the help- you guys rock as always!

Warranty is all im gonna say.

9 Lives

My dealer said the first service includes oil change, checking tightness of bolts and adjustment of chain. Owner said all in all it takes an hour and runs $60. They are a great dealer and gave me a screaming deal on my bike and accessories.

K&C CYCLE- YAMAHA
1067 NATIONAL RD SE (RT40
HEBRON OH 43025

Mike

That's why its only $60, they are not doing the complete service as per the manual.

cambo

Avid Rider
$100? They're charging me $200+!

haha yeah, same here. $250 for me. I even asked them what the service would cost WITHOUT the oil change as I already did that myself.

They said $175. Geesus effing m'fer...at least use lube on me.

RoadKill

i payed $250.03 at the dealer (New york motorcycle) so don't feel bad. i got ripped the hell off. Since then i have been doing my own maintenance. I didn't want to go to the shop i went to when i had my Ninja because the last time i went there they rolled the bike out after installing a new chain and i checked the chain tension, and there was none.

I told the service manager to please adjust to the specs on the swingarm and he said "ok if you want to have to replace the sprockets and chain in a few months".

I said just please do it. then right before i rolled out i said you guys are either lying or you don't know what your doing, i am never coming back here and i am spreading the word. That was kings cycles in brooklyn. you have been warned. lol.

DanS

Commuter
My dealer said first check is $60. I normally maintain my own equipment but that seams reasonable to me.

Mike
That's a hell of a deal! I spent that much doing my own oil change, 4 qt's mobil1 4t $9.99/qt + K&N filter $15 + 6pk Shiner Bock $7.
BTW: I have my local auto parts store order my oil and filter, much cheaper...
O'riely auto parts charges $9.99 for mobil1... 2 Wheel Toys charges $16.99... Cycle Gear $12.99

cambo

Avid Rider
i payed $250.03 at the dealer (New york motorcycle) so don't feel bad. i got ripped the hell off. Since then i have been doing my own maintenance. I didn't want to go to the shop i went to when i had my Ninja because the last time i went there they rolled the bike out after installing a new chain and i checked the chain tension, and there was none.

I told the service manager to please adjust to the specs on the swingarm and he said "ok if you want to have to replace the sprockets and chain in a few months".

I said just please do it. then right before i rolled out i said you guys are either lying or you don't know what your doing, i am never coming back here and i am spreading the word. That was kings cycles in brooklyn. you have been warned. lol.

Damn roadkill, that sucks man. I'm glad I found a good, honest garage for my cars. I sure wish they worked on bikes too. I'd be set.

DanS

Commuter
Just a quick blurb here...since changing the oil, I've noticed the idle temp, well, the operating temp in general, has gone down quite a bit. Before it would hover around 190F...going as high as 205 while sitting in traffic or cruising at hwy speeds. But since the oil change (to Valvoline and a K&N oil filter)...idle temp is around 155 and it only goes as high as 170 so far. Is this just an effect of fresh engine oil? Should I expect to see the temps rise as I near oil change time again? Just curiosity at this point...not fretting over it or anything.

right on dude! you are a man of baller status taste. If we were working on the bikes at my place, we'd be drinking Busch. hahaha
Hahaha... I had open up the urban dictionary for baller status :rolleyes: I'm running Mobil1 4t. I didn't notice a difference in temperature 180 to 190 when moving, 200+ and fan on if i'm stopped at a red light for more than a minute or two, but it sure shifts a lot slicker!
Maybe the Valvoline is some super slick oil?...Less friction =less heat

P.S.Busch is suitable for working on lawnmowers and Fords but a fine machine like the FZ8 deserves Shiner! :D

cambo

Avid Rider
Hahaha... I had open up the urban dictionary for baller status :rolleyes: I'm running Mobil1 4t. I didn't notice a difference in temperature 180 to 190 when moving, 200+ and fan on if i'm stopped at a red light for more than a minute or two, but it sure shifts a lot slicker!
Maybe the Valvoline is some super slick oil?...Less friction =less heat

P.S.Busch is suitable for working on lawnmowers and Fords but a fine machine like the FZ8 deserves Shiner! :D

haha awwww mannn...your theory applies to me. I drive a Ford. lol!

Yeah maybe it is super slick or something, the temps on the hwy are around 154 and at a red light, 165. Amazing!

131FZ8

That's why its only $60, they are not doing the complete service as per the manual.

Other than oil and filter CHANGE everything else in the manual is a CHECK so they will be accomplishing everything the book recommends.

Mike

9 Lives

Other than oil and filter CHANGE everything else in the manual is a CHECK so they will be accomplishing everything the book recommends.

Mike

Except for the following

1. Fuel Injection, Check and ADJUST engine idle speed and synchronization

2. Clutch, Check and ADJUST

3. LUBE all control cables.

Syncing the Throttle bodies is an Hour job all by itself.

I am not saying that any of this is required at 600 miles, just that they don't do it for $60.

Last edited:

rug_burn

As far as the "mineral oil"---
Mineral oil is also specified for the first oil fill in airplane engines, and here's the reason: "mineral oil' is just regular oil without the detergent additives. Detergent additives keep all the particles from wear and combustion in suspension in the oil so that when you pull the drain plug and drain the oil, they are removed. But when you are on the break in period of the engine, one of your primary goals is to get the rings to seat correctly, which means to let them build up a cushion of varnished oil, soot and fine wear particles in the bottom of the ring groove. It makes them seal better than when everything is clean and new (I'm not making this up.) In airplane engines you use "Mineral oil" for the first 25 or so hours to let this happen. The theory is that the regular detergent oil will float away those particles you need to help the rings seat.
You can google "Aeroshell 100 Mineral Oil." They actually call it mineral oil in the aviation world.

Yeah, I know: you ask me what time it is, and I'll tell you how to build a watch...

alexk

Weekend Rider
I just had my 600 mile service done at the dealer. I had to SHOW them where in the manual the requirement for the throttle synchronization was.

Once they agreed it was in the book, they upped the labor by $100. Total for the service? $265.

I have a sneaking suspicion they skipped a few steps (I think the clutch is a little loose), but they did inform me the synchronization was off and that I was right to request they look into it.

cambo

Avid Rider
I just had my 600 mile service done at the dealer. I had to SHOW them where in the manual the requirement for the throttle synchronization was.

Once they agreed it was in the book, they upped the labor by $100. Total for the service? $265.

I have a sneaking suspicion they skipped a few steps (I think the clutch is a little loose), but they did inform me the synchronization was off and that I was right to request they look into it.

that is the bullshit of all bullshits. G'damn that's shady as hell dude, sorry you had to deal with that.

131FZ8

ADJUST if needed. My dealer has been completely up front and honest with me. If they say they do the recommended service I believe them.

Mike

9 Lives

ADJUST if needed. My dealer has been completely up front and honest with me. If they say they do the recommended service I believe them.

Mike

Your absolutely right, the point I was trying to make was they are most likely not doing what the manual (Yamaha) recommends for $60. In order for them to even decide if adjustment is needed, they need to lift the tank and install the gauges to even CHECK if it needs adjustment. That alone is 1 hr labor, but then again I may be wrong maybe they are throwing in the labor for free. I wish we had a dealership like that around here.

Last edited: