Which FZ for a noob?

Buck P.

Hi all, I am new and want to buy a bike soon. That said I'd like opinions from people that actually ride this bike before I put down cash. I personally like the look of the fz8 best; the next best look would be fz-07 and last the fz-09. I have not had a chance to see the 07 in person, but the fz8 and fz-09 were fine when I sat on them. The fz-09 was actually a bit thinner and lighter and thus I was more able to maneuver a little better while sitting with the engine off. My concern with that bike(FZ-09) although I could be wrong is that it may be a bit much for a new rider--although I have seen many arguments both ways about that.

Here is a little info about me just in case it matters:
I'm 36. I do not have any interest in racing street or track. Not planning to become a hooligan, but you guys would know better if that is likely to change once I start riding. I do plan to commute to work and there is about a 20 mile stretch of hwy to cover along with smaller curvy fun road to explore for smiles. I am 5'6'', about 175lbs. I would want to ride with someone for quick easy short distance travel down the road--not sure if that matters between these bikes but perhaps the lighter bike may not be best suited for this. I prefer naked, besides the fz's I considered the Honda cb500f--another naked.

I think at minimum I would go with the 07 instead of the Honda, but I admit I like the fz8 most of the three. There are a few fz8 listed at deep discount and I'd like to know if I should even consider it given the other options. Assume I can get one at $6000 or less, plus TTL. Would weight, power, character, money, my lack of experience, or anything else you guys and gals can think of lead you to say go with one of the others? Please go into details if you can. Thanks for reading and hopefully responding and discussing.

jassilamba

Hi all, I am new and want to buy a bike soon. That said I'd like opinions from people that actually ride this bike before I put down cash. I personally like the look of the fz8 best; the next best look would be fz-07 and last the fz-09. I have not had a chance to see the 07 in person, but the fz8 and fz-09 were fine when I sat on them. The fz-09 was actually a bit thinner and lighter and thus I was more able to maneuver a little better while sitting with the engine off. My concern with that bike(FZ-09) although I could be wrong is that it may be a bit much for a new rider--although I have seen many arguments both ways about that.

I'm 36. I do not have any interest in racing street or track. Not planning to become a hooligan, but you guys would know better if that is likely to change once I start riding. I do plan to commute to work and there is about a 20 mile stretch of hwy to cover along with smaller curvy fun road to explore for smiles. I am 5'6'', about 175lbs. I would want to ride with someone for quick easy short distance travel down the road--not sure if that matters between these bikes but perhaps the lighter bike may not be best suited for this. I prefer naked, besides the fz's I considered the Honda cb500f--another naked.

I think at minimum I would go with the 07 instead of the Honda, but I admit I like the fz8 most of the three. There are a few fz8 listed at deep discount and I'd like to know if I should even consider it given the other options. Assume I can get one at $6000 or less, plus TTL. Would weight, power, character, money, my lack of experience, or anything else you guys and gals can think of lead you to say go with one of the others? Please go into details if you can. Thanks for reading and hopefully responding and discussing.

Hey mate, welcome to the forum, I'm 5'7" 175 lbs and the FZ8 fits me perfect. I was in the same boat as you are and was debating between the three FZs. My conclusion was that the FZ09 is not worth the extra 2~2.5K price difference, and the 07 was not available yet (plus I hate the sound of a 2 cylinder machine)

I got back into riding after 10 years, but prior to that I had lot of experience riding sub 200CC motorbikes. So far I like the FZ8, the power delivery is pretty smooth and linear in my books. If you haven't take the MSF course, I would highly recommend that.

Here are my other reasons for the FZ8

1. Price
2. Good looking
3. Sweet sound of inline 4
4. Very smooth power delivery.
5. Slip on exhausts
6. Analog tachometer.
7. Better suspension compared to the FZs.

FZ07 actually might be a good started bike, so is the FZ6R (2013s are dirt cheap). I wanted a inline 4 for its sound, and I hate fairings so the FZ8 was a simple choice for me. I didn't like the CB500F cos it felt like a toy, and not a motorcycle. Plus i hate the sound of 2 cylinder motorcycle, 3 is the minimum that I like.

As long as you respect the throttle, and take it easy the FZ8 is not a bad bike. Just take it easy and you should not have any issues.

Umyaya

If you are looking to use it more for commuting I would highly suggest you look at the FZ6. They are sweet. I have also been sold on Suzuki sv650 naked bikes after riding with my buddy and realizing he never has to fill his gas tank and the bike looks sick. I learned on a CBR.... despite every youtube vid or forum saying not too.... I literally bought the bike and the next morning I watched a youtube video about learning to ride and I went and rode it on the streets lol..... I was too excited to wait for my friend and take it to the parking lot! The FZ8 would have been a heck of a lot easier to learn to ride if it was my first bike.

Last edited:

pigdog

its easier to learn on a bike that fits your body, boots touch the ground when stopped etc.
fz8 is like learning to ride an r1 if you are a patient learner & don't get frogy (stupid). in the event that you reach 6,000rpm, well now you're in the stupid crazy fast zone of what makes acceleration defined. riding a motorcycle should be fun not scarey. have fun with all your future bikes.

Last edited:

MattMorton

FZ8 is my first street bike and as long as you respect it you wont have any issues. Like Keith Code says in "A twist of the wrist" a motorcycle does nothing on its own. So if you can control your right wrist I cant foresee any issues. That being said, here's a funny story for ya... My dad had ridden a lot of bikes in his younger years (70's and 80). Big and powerful bikes in their time. So when i told him my new FZ was an 800 he kinda blew it off as it's going to be a pretty well gutless learner bike. It took him a blatant lack of respect and about 30 seconds to put my then 400 mile old FZ8 in the ditch. (you wanna talk about pissed? I was pissed) Luckily the only damage was a bent right mirror and a crack in the airbox cover. The FZ is tough as fak! My dad suffered a few broken ribs and a blow to his ego...
So long story short; get an FZ8. Be nice to her and she'll be nice to you.

PS. sorry about the long post. just trying to provide the most help i can on your upcoming purchase. :welcome:

bimmertech12

I too am 5' 7" and ~180lbs. The fz8 is my bike and i absolutely love it. As long as you respect it as others have said, she will respect you. But once you get above 6k rpm, you better hold on, because it becomes a completely different animal. I commute about 110 miles per day, and the bike eats it up no problem. The best attribute over the 09 is probably the seat which makes the long rides much easier.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Larry P

fz8 is like learning to ride an r1 if you are a patient learner & don't get frogy (stupid).

Those two bikes are nothing alike aside from possibly the horn.

For a first bike I'd also throw down the FZ6. I know it's difficult but having a used first bike makes life less stressful when learning. You can always flip it when it wears on you for minimal loss or possibly break even. It's not overwhelming, enough power to not complain for a good while, and generally a basic bike. A lot of that can also be said of the FZ8 but sometimes it's harder to control the extra weight it carries. A lot of new riders want to jump on the biggest and baddest thing they can find. Need to learn to respect the machine first or it's gonna toss your ass. If you're taking this seriously then why not make a deal with yourself to buy something smaller first and then after 3 months or so if you're feeling comfortable swap it out for something different. It's probably better to learn your limits on something that can't do 150+ ;)

Umyaya

its easier to learn on a bike that fits your body, boots touch the ground when stopped etc.
fz8 is like learning to ride an r1 if you are a patient learner & don't get frogy (stupid). in the event that you reach 6,000rpm, well now you're in the stupid crazy fast zone of what makes acceleration defined. riding a motorcycle should be fun not scarey. have fun with all your future bikes.

If your fz8 is like an R1 can we trade bikes lol... I can only see this if you like went -1 and +4 or something lol

Umyaya

Those two bikes are nothing alike aside from possibly the horn.

For a first bike I'd also throw down the FZ6. I know it's difficult but having a used first bike makes life less stressful when learning. You can always flip it when it wears on you for minimal loss or possibly break even. It's not overwhelming, enough power to not complain for a good while, and generally a basic bike. A lot of that can also be said of the FZ8 but sometimes it's harder to control the extra weight it carries. A lot of new riders want to jump on the biggest and baddest thing they can find. Need to learn to respect the machine first or it's gonna toss your ass. If you're taking this seriously then why not make a deal with yourself to buy something smaller first and then after 3 months or so if you're feeling comfortable swap it out for something different. It's probably better to learn your limits on something that can't do 150+ ;)

Agreed. I know guys here that would beat liter bikes on 250s in the corners! It's all about the rider.

Buck P.

@Banky--thanks for the reply, but if possible please explain why you feel those would be better choices(there isn't a wrong answer to that btw). For those mentioning the FZ6--that would be an option except my better half prefers I find something new instead of used. Since that response indicates she's ok with riding as a whole--I'll find something new.

No one felt the FZ-09 would be the right choice--any reasons why? Personally, I liked the look of the FZ8 better and thought the 8 had better wind protection for the hwy. Lastly, the 09 appears to be more of a wheelie/hooligan type bike with a small tank that would need more trips to the gas station. I felt the same way about the cb1000r (which physically felt great at a standstill but my research found that it may not be as easy for a noob to keep control of the front wheel on that bike)so I started looking at the cb500f. But, as someone mentioned earlier, it seems more like a big toy than a grown person's motorcycle. I guess the FZ8 ticked more boxes for me, but maybe you guys can shed some light on things I may have missed.

Marthy

Plain simple. The FZ09 is a beast and has so much juice on the bottom that if you don't have a good throttle control you will end up on your butt sooner than you can expect. The FZ8 is a inline 4 and is much more forgiving in the lower rpm. I never road a FZ8 but did give a FZ1 a good run.

Lot of low end torque + 400 lbs + crappie suspension (stock) + twitchy throttle= not a beginner bike.

Why don't you wait few weeks for the FZ07? That would be a perfect ride for you.

Exhaust and tuned I still got 47 MPG cruising easy in the Smoky Mountains last weekend. That's pretty close to 140-150 miles a tank. No need for a bigger tank. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Buck P.

@Marthy--good stuff! Can you do a similar breakdown between the FZ8 and Fz-07? Everyone else feel free to chime in as well.

Larry P

Well the FZ07 isn't even available yet. Why does your better half prefer new? You're the one buying here ;). Like I mentioned before, I think it's better to start on an good all-around performer instead of a niche bike like the FZ09, and somewhat the FZ8. This way you can grasp what a standard sport bike feels like. Ever watch the sportbike shootouts from moto-usa? Do you ever wonder what they mean when they describe bike characteristics? Think of a standard sportbike as the center of the universe, and things like the fz8, 09, etc branch off in different directions. Start with something general and then decide which direction you want to go. Do you like tackling corners hard? Do you want racey ergo's? Do you just want more power? Torque? Do you want an easy do it yourself maintenance bike? The FZ8 really isn't that far off from the FZ6 but the FZ8 can be a handful sometimes.l It puts a grin on my face just as often as his R1 cousin.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
I have actually always said to people they cN buy a hyabusa for their first bike if they want one, it's all in your right wrist.......

It al depends on how responsible you are and if you can tell your wrist to not go so fast......

jassilamba

My reason for old vs new was the price of the FZ8. I paid 6800 OTD and that included a brand new jacket as well. Avg used price was about 5K for a 2012.

I thought about waiting for the FZ07 as on paper and reviews it looked like the perfect machine, but when the FZ8 had the OTD price equal to the MSRP of the FZ07 for me it was a no brainer.

Also on a new bike I know that I wont be pushing it over a certain RPM thanks to the break in period. Also if the OP wants to get something financed, then new makes more sense.

And last but not the least, a silly saying that my father always had when it came to buying two wheeled toys:

"It's better to buy a new donkey, than buying an old horse."

Other things to consider would be, what kind of riding are you thinking of doing? I picked up the 8 cos I'm doing highway commute daily, and on I35 avg speeds are about 80 MPH, so I wanted something that can keep up, and give me passing power when needed.

NoNine4me

FZ-07 would be my choice, as a twin is generally quite easy to handle at lower speeds (parking lot) because of the broad torque band, and easy to get off the clutch. Light, too.

tzortn

Pillion
Agreed. I know guys here that would beat liter bikes on 250s in the corners! It's all about the rider.

I agree with this 100%. Personally I think that you should start on a 250 or a 500 (although the 250 is a better choice). You can pick one up cheap and sell it for little to no loss If you drop it it is not ridiculously expensive to fix.

Since they are light they are easier to control at slow speeds. Being on the shorter side a smaller bike where you can flat foot it is very helpful.

Most of all they force you too learn to be smooth when you ride. Starting with a high power bike often results in someone relying on pure horsepower instead of being smooth and carrying momentum.

Buck P.

My reason for old vs new was the price of the FZ8. I paid 6800 OTD and that included a brand new jacket as well. Avg used price was about 5K for a 2012.

I thought about waiting for the FZ07 as on paper and reviews it looked like the perfect machine, but when the FZ8 had the OTD price equal to the MSRP of the FZ07 for me it was a no brainer.

Also on a new bike I know that I wont be pushing it over a certain RPM thanks to the break in period. Also if the OP wants to get something financed, then new makes more sense.

And last but not the least, a silly saying that my father always had when it came to buying two wheeled toys:

"It's better to buy a new donkey, than buying an old horse."

Other things to consider would be, what kind of riding are you thinking of doing? I picked up the 8 cos I'm doing highway commute daily, and on I35 avg speeds are about 80 MPH, so I wanted something that can keep up, and give me passing power when needed.

Yes I was thinking along these lines as well. I mentioned the price earlier b/c I could get an 2013 FZ8 CHEAPER than I could an FZ-07 or even the cb500f I mentioned before. I would finance rather than pay out the bike and where I live people tend to run things into the ground before selling so the concept of "buying the new donkey"(lol)--rings true to my wife's ears and mine as far as safety is concerned. While I know there are people out there that do keep up well with their things I agreed with her not to chance it on the 1st bike especially. I would ride on I 10 and had the same concerns as Jassilamba mentioned. I can flat foot all of the bikes I've mentioned to this point, so that isn't an issue here. If there isn't any glaringly bad reasons to go a different direction--I'll likely try to close on a bike before they are all gone.

2013 owners--do you find the "adjusted" engine/throttle settings from previous years to improve the ride, or was that all marketing?

Umyaya

I agree with this 100%. Personally I think that you should start on a 250 or a 500 (although the 250 is a better choice). You can pick one up cheap and sell it for little to no loss If you drop it it is not ridiculously expensive to fix.

Since they are light they are easier to control at slow speeds. Being on the shorter side a smaller bike where you can flat foot it is very helpful.

Most of all they force you too learn to be smooth when you ride. Starting with a high power bike often results in someone relying on pure horsepower instead of being smooth and carrying momentum.

I honestly am jealous of the lower CC bikes like the CBR 500R/Fz6/SV650!

Last edited: