What octane fuel for FZ8

W

WARPTH

i like this thread. but just curious about something. why not use a dedicated cleaner from time to time or everytime. Such as chevrons techron (usa). I think this would be the best way to address that nagging feeling that maybe your gas is dirty, instead of buying more expensive gas.

I don't know a single thing about gas in Australia, sorry. But I tend to agree that octane is not a measurment of quality, but a measurment of combustability.

yes octane is primarily combustability.

but...

BP Ultimate fuels | BP Retail Australia

^^^^^ this is what they claim for bp 98 octane fuel in australia.

chopstic

yes octane is primarily combustability.

True, but not in the way most people think.

lower octane fuels ignite at lower temp/compression and burn faster. whereas higher octane fuel requires higher ignition temp/compression to ignite, and they also burn slower.

-If you put too high of octane fuel in your engine, you might loose a tiny amount of power.

-If you put too low of octane fuel in your engine, you risk detonation and engine damage. broken pistons, connecting rods, etc...

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I guess it comes down to figuring out if it is cheaper to use a cleaner, or purchase fuel with cleaner added. anyone got a calculator ? :p

S

Shock

In the States our highest is 91 and that's that I was instructed to use at the dealer.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
I've only filled up once with premium and rode high up in the mountains and stopped for a break and the bike did not want to start. don't know if it was the fuel or altitude.

W

WARPTH

lower octane fuels ignite at lower temp/compression and burn faster. whereas higher octane fuel requires higher ignition temp/compression to ignite, and they also burn slower.

-If you put too high of octane fuel in your engine, you might loose a tiny amount of power.

-If you put too low of octane fuel in your engine, you risk detonation and engine damage. broken pistons, connecting rods, etc...

Actually. The higher octane fuel takes a higher temp to self combust. That's the difference.

RealoRc

In the States our highest is 91 and that's that I was instructed to use at the dealer.
My dealer said the same thing. I believe it's a test to see if you're willing to pay extra for other services they might offer. I didn't say anything when they told me to put the best gas in, I was laughing inside. I'm sticking with 87 grade gas. They also wanted $800 for Y.E.S.

chopstic

Actually. The higher octane fuel takes a higher temp to self combust. That's the difference.

Yep.. thats exactly what I said. higher octane = higher ignition point. The other major component of higher octane fuel is that it burns slower, allowing for more timing advance.

None of this really matters as far as a stock FZ8 is concerned, as it will safely take 87 octane. But when you start upgrading that stock engine, you may need to take into consideration a higher octane fuel.

F

Fazed

I just performed some quick calculations.

The following assumptions were made:

That higher octane fuel is 10 cents more expensive and the difference remains the same (it is here in Oz)
My fuel consumption averages 5.6 litres per 100kms.
The cost of a bottle of fuel system cleaner is $23.49 (Nulon Total Fuel System Cleaner - 500mL - Supercheap Auto Australia)
That the fuel cleaner is added every 5000kms (as per the instructions on the bottle)
That the higher octane fuel does actually contain fuel system cleaners like their ads say and they work to the same extent as the fuel system cleaner.

The extra cost in using the higher octane fuel over a 5000km period is $28.

There you go. It is cheaper to use the lower octane fuel and add a fuel system cleaner if your sole reason for using the high octane stuff is for the cleaning properties. But a $4.51 saving??? Are times that tough? And yes I am bored at work.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeñorJack

El Guapo
nice man! I think I may have to go with that approach. assuming I have no issue with premature firing with the 87

F

Fazed

nice man! I think I may have to go with that approach. assuming I have no issue with premature firing with the 87

One thing I have found is that now we are getting warmer weather the engine does ping under load from low revs using 91 which I believe is the same as your 87. I am now using 95 and the pinging has gone away. Just something for you to bear in mind as I know it can get hot in Arizona/Mexico way ;)

iheart2drift

I've only filled up once with premium and rode high up in the mountains and stopped for a break and the bike did not want to start. don't know if it was the fuel or altitude.

Actually, recently I filled up 94 octane in my Jeep Patriot to see what would happen when the manufacturer recommends only 87 octane and my car had trouble starting as well. When I switched back to 87 it never stalled again.

socal

I just read that the higher the grade the more it prevents from engine knocking.

yea the higher the octane rating the more difficult the fuel is to combust ie more pressure/ spark as where the lower rating is easier. the only true reason to use higher octane fuel (actual quality is another matter) is to control pinging or in other words predetonation or where the piston is still in the upward motion.

Bajaedition

manual says r+m/2 is 86 or better
here in SoCal regular by that formula is 87 so I use that

as pointed out, if you are not having pinging then running a higher octane fuel is a waste of money. Octane has no effect on power, it is the ability to not detonate. Higher compression engines require higher octane, the FZ8 engine is not in that area.