What octane fuel for FZ8

V

Vapordan

octane is in effect just a method of adjusting the last phase of the engines timing.

You know, that's a rather bold statement to make but thinking about it, it's actually a pretty accurate 'cause vs. effect' conclusion. The ECU will adjust timing based on detected det. but where I'm not sure is whether or not there is a det. sensor on the Z8. I didn't think there would be one on a budget uhhh economy bike. Does any body know?

minja714

If you really want to waste money, add premium fuel in the bike and then put in octane booster in your bike to make yourself feel better and if you really want to waste money then paypal me 20 dollars =) [email protected]

W

WARPTH

not sure what the higher octane fuel's offer in other countries, but the higher octane fuel here in aus (98) octane also contains detergents and cleaning agents or what ever to keep the fuel system clean. so i'll generally fill up 98 octane every 2nd or 3rd time. and did so with my previous bike. never had any fuel system issues.

C

Camo

I put 98 in every time. It's the best fuel on offer here in Australia, so why not?
For an extra dollar fitty a week, it's not really a waste in my opinion.

cooljoe

I put 98 in every time. It's the best fuel on offer here in Australia, so why not?
For an extra dollar fitty a week, it's not really a waste in my opinion.

It's not the "best fuel", it simply is more difficult to detonate. Because this engine does not produce enough compression and heat to cause pre-detonation, the lower octane gas will not ignite until it is sparked by the spark plugs, and thus there is no difference to you other than you are throwing away an extra "dollar fitty a week". Therefore, it is really a waste in my opinion.

W

WARPTH

It's not the "best fuel", it simply is more difficult to detonate. Because this engine does not produce enough compression and heat to cause pre-detonation, the lower octane gas will not ignite until it is sparked by the spark plugs, and thus there is no difference to you other than you are throwing away an extra "dollar fitty a week". Therefore, it is really a waste in my opinion.

But if your only paying a dollar 50 more per tank and not having to run fuel system cleaner is it really a waste of money? Considering the price of fuel system cleaner is about $15 $20 here in oz. Not only that. Our quality of fuel is crap here in oz. So imo 98 octane is the better choice. For aus any way.

minja714

Regular and premium grades of gas dont mean anything, just engine knock reduction (higher grade will be required if our engines are higher compression or turbo).

Different brands of gas will have different detergents but if you think putting a higher grade gas will give any form of benefit at all then the gas companies' marketing division is doing a very good job =)

also if you all have any money to give away, fill regular and give the 1.50 to me =) my paypal is still [email protected]

C

Camo

Regular and premium grades of gas dont mean anything, just engine knock reduction (higher grade will be required if our engines are higher compression or turbo).

Different brands of gas will have different detergents but if you think putting a higher grade gas will give any form of benefit at all then the gas companies' marketing division is doing a very good job =)

also if you all have any money to give away, fill regular and give the 1.50 to me =) my paypal is still [email protected]
I'll think about donating to your PayPal once you give me some solid evidence regarding the fact that Australian 98 isn't the best fuel available to me.
You saying so, doesn't make it so.

minja714

"Will higher octane gasoline clean your engine better?

As a rule, high octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning your car's engine. In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires that all octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against the build-up of harmful levels of engine deposits during the expected life of your car."

This is sources for US gas, but I don't think Aussie gas shouldn't too different, same petrol engine.
The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline

[email protected] =)

joking aside though mate. we don't need it. we don't have turbo or high compression, don't let the oil companies play you.

chopstic

"Will higher octane gasoline clean your engine better?

As a rule, high octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning your car's engine. In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires that all octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against the build-up of harmful levels of engine deposits during the expected life of your car."

This is sources for US gas, but I don't think Aussie gas shouldn't too different, same petrol engine.
The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline

[email protected] =)

joking aside though mate. we don't need it. we don't have turbo or high compression, don't let the oil companies play you.

Well its a little more technical than just "knock reduction". But a bone stock bike will have no need for the higher octane fuels. Though keep in mind that the important ratio for compression is not the static ratio, it is the dynamic compression ratio. So any modifications that increases intake airflow, will also increase that compression ratio. If you combine that higher airflow with enough timing advance, it could warrant the use of higher octane fuel.

and as general rule of thumb... I would never trust government agencies for automotive advice. I remember reading an EPA report a while back claiming that catalytic converters actually increase fuel economy and horsepower.... Blasphemy!!!

F

Fazed

I run 91 regular unleaded in mine. I have tried other grades with no noticeable increase in power or better fuel economy. Done the same thing in the car, my previous car ran from new to 350 000kms (it's still going with it's new owner) on regular unleaded and I had no fuel related issues. Don't see the point in making oil companies richer and myself poorer for no reason.

Again not really scientific solid evidence that you are looking for, but I trust my butt dyno and slim wallet :)

Last edited by a moderator:

minja714

well you guys didn't confirm or deny if higher grade means better cleaning detergents. what say you? pay more money for more cleaning? or is that another way oil companies line their pockets?

Ferrari just came out with a new 4 wheel drive and i know some oil ceo guys are gonna be wanting that.

Last edited:
W

WARPTH

No no. Just learnt over the years its not worth arguing with some one who is so strongly opinionated because even when theyre wrong they still believe theyre right so you have to bring your self down to their level.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
i like this thread. but just curious about something. why not use a dedicated cleaner from time to time or everytime. Such as chevrons techron (usa). I think this would be the best way to address that nagging feeling that maybe your gas is dirty, instead of buying more expensive gas.

I don't know a single thing about gas in Australia, sorry. But I tend to agree that octane is not a measurment of quality, but a measurment of combustability.