What kind of gas do you guys use?

Scott09

When I bought my bike the (female) salesman told me to just put in 93 octane gas even tho I told her I was pretty sure it can take regular but she insisted on using super. What do you guys use, I wouldnt want to keep filling up with super and not get any benefit from it if I can just use regular.

codename607

I've only used mid-grade fuel but I haven't had to fill up my tank that much. I'm interested in what others use as well.

cxa0897

1600 or so miles on mine, used premium(93) on the first few fill ups based on what people told me and then switched to regular(87) after doing a little research. zero issues with regular, and I get no noticeable decrease in mileage/performance.

lyric911

When I bought my bike the (female) salesman told me to just put in 93 octane gas even tho I told her I was pretty sure it can take regular but she insisted on using super. What do you guys use, I wouldnt want to keep filling up with super and not get any benefit from it if I can just use regular.

87, 100% of the time.

DanS

Commuter
Exxon ;) ... there have been a couple big debates here recently about octane. The owners manual states 86 octane or better with 10% alcohol or less and if knocking or pinging occurs try a different brand or premium unleaded. I use 87, I did try a tank of 91 awhile back and it made no difference in performance or mileage.

socal

Use 87 that's what it is tuned for. You will get more power. If you do hear pinging though then adjust accordingly.

chefwill

i use 91 but ive been hearing the same thing more and more about just use 87 there's really no difference in performance, or very minimal.

villhelmromero

personally I've only used premium on mine. the thought of using any lower grade hasn't crossed my mind because premium is only like ¢.20 more. I've never taken the whole "bike tuned to 87 octane" thing in to consideration. should I?

Bajaedition

Octane is the resistance to burn. our bikes are not high enough compression to need higher octane than 86. Infact higher octane could cause a decrease in performance.
Octane has nothing to do with how much power the gas has.

Last edited:

RoadKill

Octane is the resistance to burn. our bikes are not high enough compression to need higher octane than 86. Infact higher octane could cause a decrease in performance.
Octane has nothing to do with how much power the gas has.

+1

That's why i only use 87 octane. I do look for ethanol free gas though.

Rotaryknight

I am starting to use 87 also now. COmpared to 91 octane, there is absolutely no difference in performance.
Though, its really hard to find ethanol free stations here.

avia290

You might as well even though it might not be necessary. For the difference in price I don't see what you're gaining by not putting in premium. Also if our bikes don't have the compression to worry about detonation from the lower octane gas than it's really not a big deal. However if they recommend it than I feel like you're just raising the potential for detonation by not using it. They had to have a reason to tell us to use that gas.

lyric911

You might as well even though it might not be necessary. For the difference in price I don't see what you're gaining by not putting in premium. Also if our bikes don't have the compression to worry about detonation from the lower octane gas than it's really not a big deal. However if they recommend it than I feel like you're just raising the potential for detonation by not using it. They had to have a reason to tell us to use that gas.

They didn't, though. Recommended octane level for US is 86 (r+m/2 method) or 91 for research octane number, which is Europe and probably everywhere else.

socal

price is not a factor. if your using something that is to difficult for the current settings to combust, then a lower percentage of the raw fuel is actually being burned.

avia290

price is not a factor. if your using something that is to difficult for the current settings to combust, then a lower percentage of the raw fuel is actually being burned.

My understanding, and this could very well be wrong, was that premium gas wasn't necessarily more difficult to combust. More that the higher octane fuel was able to withstand the higher compression, so that it could all be ignited by the spark.

Also if it's not the fuel that you have to use then the people at these motorcycle dealerships should stop telling you that you have to put premium in it.

Last edited:

socal

My understanding, and this could very well be wrong, was that premium gas wasn't necessarily more difficult to combust. More that the higher octane fuel was able to withstand the higher compression, so that it could all be ignited by the spark.

Also if it's not the fuel that you have to use then the people at these motorcycle dealerships should stop telling you that you have to put premium in it.

premium is more difficult to combust that is why is was created, in order to withstand higher pressure without premature detonation. when the piston is still moving up and the little explosion goes off and opposes the force before the engine can mechanically support this change in direction a ping occurs. gas can have a dieseling effect as well. but dont trust the sales guys they just assume, talk to the mechanics or read the manual for bike specific advice. but anyhow this was created as an all around commuter so 87 is fine for stock in this specific bike, now if your modding with pcv and so on then bump it up. 91 wont hurt, it will just run a little rich and possibly cooler.

Last edited:

Bajaedition

because they are salesmen, they want to drive sales, Premium fuel means more fun from a higher tuned engine, tell a guy he is looking at a commuter bike and he may walk off to another dealership

Salesmen depend on sales to get paid

tjfisher

saleman are saleman nothing more! not experts! yamaha tells you run 86/87 then thats how the experts (yamaha) have designed the bike . The dealership saleman are mostly Fly by night pros one whatever they are selling today blowing smoke up your @#$ to make there comission . Im not saying all are bad or smoke blowers but taking the info from the front of the house is not always the best plan, but if you were told by a yamaha factory race tech i might think on it . my :2cents: