What kind of gas do you guys use?

Shanerc34

When I bought my bike the (female) salesman told me to just put in 93 octane gas even tho I told her I was pretty sure it can take regular but she insisted on using super. What do you guys use, I wouldnt want to keep filling up with super and not get any benefit from it if I can just use regular.

I use 92 from chevron or shell... I am sure it doesnt make too much of a difference. But I just figure I would put the best gas in it since I don't fuel up much and its relatively cheap compared to filling up a car or truck.

JSP

Administrator
I use 92 from chevron or shell... I am sure it doesnt make too much of a difference. But I just figure I would put the best gas in it since I don't fuel up much and its relatively cheap compared to filling up a car or truck.

The best gas is the recommended gas from the manufacturer that the engine was designed to work on...

RoadKill

The way the Gas is marketed, it's not hard to see why people get the impression that "premium" gas is better than "regular". very misleading labeling done intentionally.

[]V[]addog

if you do the air box mod you may notice a difference in torque when switching, i did

you noticed a difference in tq because of the air box mod?

or once you switched back to regular, I'm not sure i quite understand what you mean

b-eock

Once you do the air box mod, you will feel and hear the difference. It opens up the bike so much more. Allows it to breathe way better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Bajaedition

Once you do the air box mod, you will feel and hear the difference. It opens up the bike so much more. Allows it to breathe way better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
ok, but fif you hear predetonation pinging ?
the only reason to use a higher octane fuel is that it starts to burn before the sparkplug fires, as they add chemicals to prevent it from exploding the octane rating rises, and the cost is reflected in the price per unit.(gallon or liter)
However if you do not need the point of ignition delayed, then you are using fuel that does not burn when the engine needs it too. Therefore, using higher octane fuel than needed will not in any way improve power but will decrease it. You want the volatility of the fuel to be as much as possible according to the tune of the engine. the lower the octane the more power you can get. but if it it fires off to soon then that is why we need higher octane.
you see, octane is a way to measure how much more we can tune the engine to get more power. the more the engine has the ability to fire off gas without a sparkplug, the higher it needs the octane to be. Higher tuned engines produce more HP, But a engine such as the FZ8, designed to deliver a high torque and lesser HP will need the octane to be less to be efficient. Using High octane fuel in this engine is counter productive. it is causing the spark to be larger to start combustion.