What do you use to navigate?

Trek

What is the best for/what do you use for navigation? I've seen tank bags with a map window, tank bags with gps window, and the RAM iphone mounts. I'm curious what you guys use and why you use it.

I navigate from a non moving position if I need to reference a map/gadget. I'm pretty good with basic navigation, and aced all my nav courses in the Marine Corps. That being said, I usually map out my routes by main roads and reverify at gas stops or "where the hell am I?" stops. :)

I use the old-style navigation, a good map printed on paper!
Keeping your eyes on an electronic navigator for more than one second is a danger IMHO.
I prefer to study the map before leaving, then if I get lost I stop the bike and take another look ;)

garmin or iphone in tank bag!

I navigate from a non moving position if I need to reference a map/gadget. I'm pretty good with basic navigation, and aced all my nav courses in the Marine Corps. That being said, I usually map out my routes by main roads and reverify at gas stops or "where the hell am I?" stops. :)
+1

never ever while moving!!!

I'm with Hypo and Frengo. Half the fun of a long ride is planning, plotting and pulling over to look at the map!!

as long as there is black top in front of me i am golden. (if i can afford a duel ride then dirt/snow/ice/etc will not stop me)

as for the computer map programs they get it right most of the time. it states i am right were it puts the little pointy pin.

part of the fun is going on a rd were you have never been before. just to see what is over that hill, might be a great view up there. a good greasy spoon down that rd. a new favorite fishing creek up that trail.

I have the RAM Aquabox and TomTom Via and listen to it from the G4 Cardo headset.

ramb149zaq6.jpg

TomTom-VIA-1435.jpg

Scala-rider-g4.jpg

Also adding one of these to both mine and my wife's FZ1 this weekend. I will use the turn signal HOT wire to power this outlet so it will be off with the key. :D

fz1innh-albums-my-09-fz1-picture343-ciggyplug.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I think i'll go for keeping a paper map in a tank bag and using it while stopped.

Any suggestions on a good tank bag for our bikes?

I use my iPhone and a navi software called Navigon. The directions are fed bluetooth. The app was like $40 but it is dead on and easy to navigate. I actually like it better than the navi I have in my car.

Most of the time on the bike I am quite happy to be lost, thats part of the point. But for those times I don't it works well.

I use the old-style navigation, a good map printed on paper!
Keeping your eyes on an electronic navigator for more than one second is a danger IMHO.
I prefer to study the map before leaving, then if I get lost I stop the bike and take another look ;)

I enjoy planning a ride sometimes too. I'll usually know my way to my first stop by memory. Then after fuelling up and taking a piss I'll check my map and be certain of the route to my next stop.

I'd have a sat nav but It's not high on my mods budget list right now.
For the most part, I'm riding my local twistys and could find my way even if I hadn't been down there for 10 years:)

I have a Garmin 25X. Mounts nicely to bar. Mount is bicycle handle bar mount (REI). Burns Moto USB for power.
62b1abc0-9bdc-3c78.jpg

62b1abc0-9bf1-8371.jpg

62b1abc0-9c88-9ce0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

using the Burn moto USB charger connected to a HOT FUSE

Hi, I have just orderd the Burns mote usb charger ( BurnsMoto - Motorcycle, ATV, Boat, RV - USB Weatherproof Power Socket - USB Charger with optional SAE to USB ), although i would like to connect it to a hot fuse so the power is only on when the ignition is on. I have looked for examples and tutorials like crazy but have not managed to find a clean and easy way of doing this..Is there anyone who knows how to do it that could give me some help here? A pic would say more then 1000 words in this case =)

thanks

Just bring a pigeon with you. When you've used up half a tank of gas getting lost, let it fly and follow it home ;)

Back