What do you use to navigate?

Trek

What is the best for/what do you use for navigation? I've seen tank bags with a map window, tank bags with gps window, and the RAM iphone mounts. I'm curious what you guys use and why you use it.

hypo

I navigate from a non moving position if I need to reference a map/gadget. I'm pretty good with basic navigation, and aced all my nav courses in the Marine Corps. That being said, I usually map out my routes by main roads and reverify at gas stops or "where the hell am I?" stops. :)

Frengo

I use the old-style navigation, a good map printed on paper!
Keeping your eyes on an electronic navigator for more than one second is a danger IMHO.
I prefer to study the map before leaving, then if I get lost I stop the bike and take another look ;)

C

calscrazy

garmin or iphone in tank bag!

I navigate from a non moving position if I need to reference a map/gadget. I'm pretty good with basic navigation, and aced all my nav courses in the Marine Corps. That being said, I usually map out my routes by main roads and reverify at gas stops or "where the hell am I?" stops. :)
+1

never ever while moving!!!

H

Hoover

I'm with Hypo and Frengo. Half the fun of a long ride is planning, plotting and pulling over to look at the map!!

packnrat

as long as there is black top in front of me i am golden. (if i can afford a duel ride then dirt/snow/ice/etc will not stop me)

as for the computer map programs they get it right most of the time. it states i am right were it puts the little pointy pin.

part of the fun is going on a rd were you have never been before. just to see what is over that hill, might be a great view up there. a good greasy spoon down that rd. a new favorite fishing creek up that trail.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
I have the RAM Aquabox and TomTom Via and listen to it from the G4 Cardo headset.

Also adding one of these to both mine and my wife's FZ1 this weekend. I will use the turn signal HOT wire to power this outlet so it will be off with the key. :D

Last edited:

Trek

Thank you everyone. I think i'll go for keeping a paper map in a tank bag and using it while stopped.

Any suggestions on a good tank bag for our bikes?

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I use my iPhone and a navi software called Navigon. The directions are fed bluetooth. The app was like $40 but it is dead on and easy to navigate. I actually like it better than the navi I have in my car.

Most of the time on the bike I am quite happy to be lost, thats part of the point. But for those times I don't it works well.

C

Camo

I use the old-style navigation, a good map printed on paper!
Keeping your eyes on an electronic navigator for more than one second is a danger IMHO.
I prefer to study the map before leaving, then if I get lost I stop the bike and take another look ;)

I enjoy planning a ride sometimes too. I'll usually know my way to my first stop by memory. Then after fuelling up and taking a piss I'll check my map and be certain of the route to my next stop.

I'd have a sat nav but It's not high on my mods budget list right now.
For the most part, I'm riding my local twistys and could find my way even if I hadn't been down there for 10 years:)

Sschwar4

I have a Garmin 25X. Mounts nicely to bar. Mount is bicycle handle bar mount (REI). Burns Moto USB for power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

guldrevolt

using the Burn moto USB charger connected to a HOT FUSE

Hi, I have just orderd the Burns mote usb charger ( BurnsMoto - Motorcycle, ATV, Boat, RV - USB Weatherproof Power Socket - USB Charger with optional SAE to USB ), although i would like to connect it to a hot fuse so the power is only on when the ignition is on. I have looked for examples and tutorials like crazy but have not managed to find a clean and easy way of doing this..Is there anyone who knows how to do it that could give me some help here? A pic would say more then 1000 words in this case =)

thanks

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
Just bring a pigeon with you. When you've used up half a tank of gas getting lost, let it fly and follow it home ;)