Vortex Rearsets

SpunkyTheTuna

Bought these because I was happy with Vortex's customer service when I was shopping sprockets and the price was decent. Not MadeInChinaByChildren decent, but decent. Unboxing them, they were nicely packed, vacuum sealed to cardboard backings to keep them all together and scratch free. Machining is nice, they've got a very solid feel, the pivot points are greasable and the mounting shafts have little reservoirs machined into them to hold the grease. Very nice.

Brake side mounts with no drama at all. These don't use the factory brake light switch or return spring. There is an available banjo pressure switch that will work if you need that.

Instructions were ok, not particularly special. Mostly photographs with an insert for the things that are specific to FZ8s. One thing they got wrong, though. The shifter mounts to a bracket that bolts to the sidestand mounting point. There is an adapter sleeve that's supposed to be screwed onto the engine mounting bolt and another bolt goes through the mounting bracket into the sleeve. That engine mounting bolt isn't a stud, it's an allen head bolt, so there's no way to screw that sleeve on that will allow the third bolt on the shifter mounting bracket to work with it. Regardless, just mounting the shifter bracket with the two beefy bolts that hold the sidestand seems plenty sturdy.

Shifter can be set up for standard or GP shift pattern easily. The factory shifter shaft bracket needs to be rotated 90 degrees to use the Vortex shifter, and then you can mount the included shifter shaft to either of two mounting holes on opposite sides of the pivot to let you shift like Rossi or like, uh, me, I guess.

Lots of options for mounting positions for the pegs. Unfortunately for me, the lowest and most forward position still won't work for me because I've got fake knees and they don't bend far enough for me to use them. It's a shame because these feel like some really nice gear. Pegs are very aggressive and grippy, the anodizing is deep and dark and gorgeous, and they feel very precise and of high quality.

Pics in my album, I'll try to post a couple in this thread, too.

Last edited:

SpunkyTheTuna

This is the brake side:

This is the shifter side:

Last edited:
D

DJK1505

have had mine on for more than a year. Freaking love them, took a few tries to get the peg position right, but they are nice sets.

Looks good man, you go GP shift? Best shift pattern ever!!!! LOL

Lee_533

Mine should be here in 2 days just wondering if I would need the stock rearset bolts for mounting

If I remember right, it's all new bolts. I don't thing you need any stock parts. You will lose your rear brake switch if you didn't get the aftermarket one from vortex. You don't really NEED it as I've been riding mine without it with no issues.

Jwood9

How does it connect to the shift arm? will i need any of the shift boot or hardware from the stock unit, like the shift rod? Thanks