Tail of the Dragon

krillz

Anyone else been to the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap?
318 turns in 11 miles. NC is a great place to ride if not. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

eggserronius

Went there last summer. Loved it. At the time I lived in Florida. Was quite a shock to ride roads like that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

BDazzler

I haven't been yet, but I plan to go the summer of 2013 or 2014 if I have to push it back. :eek: I want to experience the tail and ride the surrounding roads. I also want to be able to put a Dragon sticker on my bike, but I won't if I haven't ridden it there! :cool: :2cents:

krillz

I haven't been yet, but I plan to go the summer of 2013 or 2014 if I have to push it back. :eek: I want to experience the tail and ride the surrounding roads. I also want to be able to put a Dragon sticker on my bike, but I won't if I haven't ridden it there! :cool: :2cents:

It really is a nice State to ride in. I moved here from NJ and was blown away by some of the roads. Not just bikes either. Its a great ride. I hope you get there soon. Enjoy and be safe.

H

Hoover

I recently read a magazine article about it that said it was now so full of Honda Leadwings and Harleys going 15 mph that it is very difficult to get a good run.
Is that true?

tzortn

Pillion
The dragon is cool, but I actually enjoy Cherohala or Rt 28 more. Traffic on the dragon can be nuts. The last time I was there a rider went off a cliff about 20 minutes behind us. We saw the emergency vehicles flying towards the dragon and thought "oh this is not good".

In any case it is a great place to ride. You just have to be smart about it.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Sounds like fun. Although the roads here are much the same , turn after turn after turn. B.C has some awesome roads for bikers AND no traffic.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Anyone else been to the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap?
318 turns in 11 miles. NC is a great place to ride if not. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

I have several times. It's a great road except on the weekends when everybody and their brother is on it; slow cruisers holding faster riders back; police seemingly on every one of the 318 corners with their radar guns.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Here's a link to my last ride on the Dragon back in June. That was a month before I sold my SV650 and bought my FZ8.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsqMalXQAz4]June ride on the Tail of the Dragon - YouTube[/ame]

krillz

Of course you have to scout the surronding roads, its only 11 miles long. Its a 3 hour ride form my house. Being able to ride VA, NC, TN, SC, and GA in the same weekend is awesome. Those roads are really sweet.

Lee_533

I have roads near me similar to that, just not as popular so less traffic. The only bad thing with roads like that is that they are very unforgiving so you don't want to push that bike very hard through there. They are fun roads to cruise on and get a knee down, but if I'm going to push my bike, it's going to be on a track.

C

Camo

great rides
If you click on the above link, rides of note within reach of my place are
-Putty Road
-Wisemans Ferry-Wollombi
They're day rides and a bit further away are
-Thunderbolts way
-Oxley highway
All great rides but all can be heavily policed at times.
We also have the snowy mountains ride south of me that's awesome in summer

Zomax

Pillion
Have seen some fine looking roads discussed on the forum. Here's one that most have probably never heard of, or considered - Missouri 125 between Sparta and Protem (Google Maps doesn't do this road justice). This 47 mile stretch flows through the Mark Twain national forest and has about 200 nice twist/sweepers. There are a few straight stretches (a mile long - or so), and traffic is almost non-existent. Over the past three months, I have logged about 1600 miles of back-and-forth rides, and have never seen an officer of the law. ;)