Sunthetis Oil

marko

Has anyone had any experiences using a synthetic oil in their bike like Royal Purple, etc...?.....sorry...fat finger syndrome......Synthetic Oil

Last edited:

kwrose66

Has anyone had any experiences using a synthetic oil in their bike like Royal Purple, etc...?.....sorry...fat finger syndrome......Synthetic Oil

To add to your question: What about additives such as Lucas Oil, Star Tron, etc.?

mckshred

To add to your question: What about additives such as Lucas Oil, Star Tron, etc.?

I posted this up a few weeks ago on 'the cold engine' thread:

Curious, does anyone use any engine oil additives? Special oil? I know this topic has been discussed somewhat but I had to add my 2 cents.

Was speaking with the Yamaha mech and he turned me onto an oil blend called Motorex. He advised the Synthetic, but they have both Synth and Non-Synth. I've read where some say not to go Synthetic until at least past break-in at 600m and possibly not until 1000m.

I used a product BG Engine Performance Concentrate at each oil change on my old in-line 4 Seca 750 and it improved hp and pickup immediately (over an oil/filter only change). Engine seemed to run smoother as well. Never had any problems from using it. Anyone else ever use this stuff or something else?

H

Hoover

I am running Repsol full synthetic.
Not a chance in h e double hockey sticks would I run any kind of additive in a new motor.

The money that oil companies spend developing their oil is good enough for me.

I could be persuaded to dump some kind of additive in a crapped out, old motor that needs some help, but I doubt it.

Spend the money on quality oil and change it often, you won't need fix a flat.

D

DJK1505

I know this is not speaking of a bike engine, but I had a buddy that purchased a brand new truck in 99. He went through the break in period and immedietly went to ams oil, in engine and trans and a synthetic gear lube in the rear and transfer case. He changed the oil every 7500 miles and trans fluid with filter every 20K. He just sold the truck back to the dealership he bought the truck from in 99, with 589K miles on it. The truck was a Chevrolet 1500 Z71 gasser. I am 100% convinced on Ams oil, and synthetic oils. Our engines rev at such a high RPM, the syn is the only way to go. A blend is cutting the lube qualities in half, and a conventional... well thats old school if you ask me.

I am also a fan of Marvel Mystery oil, I have personally seen this stuff do miracles to corroded and rusted engines, and do like the Lucas products. But if you take care of your engine right from the get go, use quality lubricating products, you should not have any problems with your stuff.

frmtbiker

I have Rotella T6 in my FZ8. I actually researched MANY sport bike forums before deciding on an oil and the consensus I got was that Rotella T6 (synthetic 5W-40) is great oil, not to mention only $21 for 4 quarts.
I stick with oem Yami filters.

frmtbiker

ooooh how are the roads up there? I have a strong urge to go across the top one of these days.

There are some really good rides here. We also have the Sturgis motorcycle rally every year that pulls in 1,000,000 plus bikes for the week. I personally hate the traffic but it gives you an idea of how popular it is...

hypo

There are some really good rides here. We also have the Sturgis motorcycle rally every year that pulls in 1,000,000 plus bikes for the week. I personally hate the traffic but it gives you an idea of how popular it is...

I've been invited to Sturgis 2 times... I was in the Marine Corps and deployed during the first invitation (so was the guy who invited me) and the second one I didn't have a bike for awhile... and I'd much rather have one if I'm going to Sturgis. :) Its definitely on my to do list.

SpunkyTheTuna

If you're going to Sturgis, I'd highly recommend going there the week before the rally. By the Saturday before the rally pretty much all of the vendors are there, but the motel/camping rates are still low and the town is empty enough to be enjoyable. Most of the vendors are either t-shirt stalls or Harley parts, so if you miss them, you're not missing much. All the great rides are there and not clogged up with dentists on Harleys putting their feet down as they corner at 15 mph.

hypo

If you're going to Sturgis, I'd highly recommend going there the week before the rally. ... All the great rides are there and not clogged up with dentists on Harleys putting their feet down as they corner at 15 mph.

duly noted!

he mentioned that he always goes up during the week before and stays for the first two days (his family lives there so no hotel fees) of Sturgis to SEE all the crazy bikes and people...

FZER

Avid Rider
Going to go with Shell Rotella synthetic and decided that the Super Tech filter wasn't that bad if I'm going to change the oil ever 3000 miles. $2.86 for the filter. I saw one video where a Super Tech filter was the same as a ford filter, plus it's black, which is a nice touch.

hypo

exactly right FZER... and they are located within 10 feet of each other at Walmart and the cost of the oil change is under $40... ya can't beat it.

rodhotter

real!! synthetics

be aware there are very!! few real synthetic oils made today since the sneaky castrol battle, most oils labeled are group III oils highly refined dino oil, amsoil is one of the few real!! synthetic oils. IMO all motorcycles can benefit from real!! synthetic oil, although water cooled bikes stress oil less than big air cooled engines. amsoil is a group IV oil redline is ester based group V oil, esters are more $$$ and special ester oils are the only oil that can live in jet engines, these special ester oils are very-very expensive and not used in normal operations

D

Deleted member 438

be aware there are very!! few real synthetic oils made today since the sneaky castrol battle, most oils labeled are group III oils highly refined dino oil, amsoil is one of the few real!! synthetic oils. IMO all motorcycles can benefit from real!! synthetic oil, although water cooled bikes stress oil less than big air cooled engines. amsoil is a group IV oil redline is ester based group V oil, esters are more $$$ and special ester oils are the only oil that can live in jet engines, these special ester oils are very-very expensive and not used in normal operations

I believe Mobil 1 is also real.