steering dampers

FZ8canuk

does anyone have a steering damper installed on there bikes ? I'v been reading about them and just wondering if its a worth while mod. hoping to get some insight and feed back.

Cheers

B

bren

i too have been thinking about this mod.. was thinking that it may be handy when i have my clip ons fitted..

waypoint

mod squad
Was considering a damper the other day. Then started looking into it and found out how much money they are :scratch: and decided it was better spent somewhere else. Oh if money were no object.

S

Shock

Depends on the type of riding you do. If you're aggressive then hell yes it's a good mod if not then its not worth it.

F

Fazed

The suspension geometry on the FZ8 isn't aggressive, so you shouldn't 'need' one. If it slaps coming out of corners under power, look at your suspension set up before getting the damper, or it will just hide real problems with your set up.

B

bren

The suspension geometry on the FZ8 isn't aggressive, so you shouldn't 'need' one. If it slaps coming out of corners under power, look at your suspension set up before getting the damper, or it will just hide real problems with your set up.

There are problems with the stock suspension setup???!!! Lol

Wonder if anyone has posted about it?? :D:p

D

Deleted member 438

The 8 is a very stable bike, even at the track I never felt it get shaky on me.

Lee_533

Ya, I've never gotten head shake at the track or riding hard in the mountains. I agree with Fazed, I would upgrade your suspension before getting a damper.

H

Hoover

I had one on my TL, because it was a factory install, I had one on my bandit 'cos it looked cool!

FZ8canuk

Well thanks for the info, I think everyone is in agreement that its not really needed on our bikes so I think I'll hold off. Maybe look at suspension as the next mod, which brings up another question, would you do front and rear suspension at the same time or can you do them separately? Would it matter?

C

Camo

Sorry, I'm not touching that question for fear of being nailed to the fz8 cross ;)

H

Hoover

Well thanks for the info, I think everyone is in agreement that its not really needed on our bikes so I think I'll hold off. Maybe look at suspension as the next mod, which brings up another question, would you do front and rear suspension at the same time or can you do them separately? Would it matter?

Why would you want to mess with the suspension?
:scared:

master paper clip

I wanna do my suspension just because I frequently switch with my buddy and his zx6r, and I picked the bike soley on looks, I always wanted to swap the motor and suspension with r1 spec just because it looK's bad ass, but witch first suspension or that beautiful cross plane grunty goodness

But I'm taking my time Cause I do love the 8, it's a great bike, may even get a second one and leave it stock later in life

Last edited:
F

Fazed

First question to answer is what do you feel is the problem with your current setup or are you changing it because you can?

D

DJK1505

Doing the rear FZ1 shock swap is cheap and easy, and there is no modding involved, just bolt it right in! You will notice a pretty significant dif in the ride. Doing the front, I would suggest saving up and buying a complete front end off an R1. 04 on up will work. You need the forks, brakes, wheel, axle, axle spacers, and front fender. Usually you can piece these out for around 600, or try and get a whole unit for around 750-800. After that you could go back to your rear, get the Satan666 adapter and put an R1 rear shock on. Your bike will feel totally different once you get these mods dialed in!

DJ

Jwood9

Ok guys I've been doing some research and have found universal dampers by ohlins. Does anyone know what measurements our 8's would be in need of? I'm very tempted to do this but I'm wondering on setup an attachment... Any insight is awesome thanks

RD GUY

steering dampners

for me a dampner is a must got a Daytona on my rd350l/c,gpr on wr250x,and am waiting on deliver for my fz8,i like having one to get a firmer feel on the bars,to get rid of that loose bikecycle feel and when wheeling out of corners.also they look ,post some pics when I get installed on the fz8.

alexk

Weekend Rider
If you're looking for a damper to hold the bars straight while you wheelie... use both hands, stay loose, and stop sucking at hand control. =p

If you're finding you're getting wobble, shimmy, or tank slap, there's either something seriously wrong with your bike, or with your riding skills. In the latter case, a damper will hamper the bike's ability to gyroscopically (wheel spin as well as chassis momentum) restabilize. Either way, it's going to make things worse, or at best be the equivalent of Linus' security blankie.

In [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Basics-High-Performance-Motorcycle/dp/0965045021/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367375083&sr=8-1&keywords=a+twist+of+the+wrist+ii"]A Twist of the Wrist II[/ame], Keith Code (or was it his guest commenter Doug Chandler?) specifically recommends to loosen any steering dampers to their loosest setting in order to allow the bike to automatically address misplaced survival reactions.