Shifting into first.

Davor_

I did some research and i found out that there are some problems with FZ8s clutch or what not.
Anyways my case is a bit unique cause this is my fist bike EVER so i dont have anything to compare the clutch feel to really, but i know that i have a problem cause sometimes (40% of the time) if i roll to a stop lets say in 2 or 3 i cant shift into 1st!!!
I tried stoping in 4th and shift down all the way down to 2 but not into first and ive also noticed that if i start letting go of my clutch just to feel that friction zone and pull it back again i can shift into first just fine with that clank.

Like i said idk if my shifts are rough or hard cause its my first bike so i dont have anything to compare it to!!

(also to mention that the bike is new ive only put around 450miles on it so i havent even done the first oil change)
Hope anyone can help me or at least help me understand whats going on, and should i ask the dealer to open my transmission or whatever.
Thank you guys.

dtbrown

Don't worry nothing wrong with your bike. Its the way this gear box is. There are some old posts on this. When I got mine same thing and I was worried too and then read on here about it. Start learning to downshift/engine braking while engaging each gear as you break then 1st will always engage. And if first doesn't engaged even with downshifting/engine braking you just slightly engage second gear and then first will engage, just like you did. I'm not sure if its a Yamaha design but from my understanding most Yamaha do this. I got used to down shifting/engine braking while breaking and haven't thought about it since.

I did some research and i found out that there are some problems with FZ8s clutch or what not.
Anyways my case is a bit unique cause this is my fist bike EVER so i dont have anything to compare the clutch feel to really, but i know that i have a problem cause sometimes (40% of the time) if i roll to a stop lets say in 2 or 3 i cant shift into 1st!!!
I tried stoping in 4th and shift down all the way down to 2 but not into first and ive also noticed that if i start letting go of my clutch just to feel that friction zone and pull it back again i can shift into first just fine with that clank.

Like i said idk if my shifts are rough or hard cause its my first bike so i dont have anything to compare it to!!

(also to mention that the bike is new ive only put around 450miles on it so i havent even done the first oil change)
Hope anyone can help me or at least help me understand whats going on, and should i ask the dealer to open my transmission or whatever.
Thank you guys.

eru000

This is a normal thing sequential gearboxes do. Just let out the clutch a little bit like you mentioned and it'll be fine. However, you should be downshifting as you decelerate, not coasting to a stop with the clutch in (let alone not shifting down even if you do that). You should always be in an appropriate gear for your speed.

Davor_

This is a normal thing sequential gearboxes do. Just let out the clutch a little bit like you mentioned and it'll be fine. However, you should be downshifting as you decelerate, not coasting to a stop with the clutch in (let alone not shifting down even if you do that). You should always be in an appropriate gear for your speed.
I do downshift and engine brake (or rev match) i always had a manual (stick) for my car so the concept of engine braking came natural.
But it did happen a few times so i was trying to see if it will happen again or is it just in my head (like i said i am a new rider.
So i shouldn't be worried about it?

JSP

Administrator
Nothing to worry about. All bikes will do that. Every bike ive ever owned is that way. It is the way it is. You need to downshift before coming to a stop. IF you have to emergency brake and stop in a high gear... Roll the bike back and forth while using the clutch and it will slip down in the gears.

But yeah, normal.

jassilamba

Mine used to do that in the first 100 ~ 150 miles, Right now I'm at the 450 mark, and it downshifts from 6th to 1st without any issues 98% of the time. Every now and then I have let the clutch out a bit to make it shift right.

Between, congrats on your new ride.

Bajaedition

my normal technique is I drop from 6th to 4th and then let the clutch out, then from 4th to second and let the clutch out, then down to 1st

the style of tranny has had this problem since they first invented them I think, I developed that in the 80s.