Ride to the Capital (to protest riders rights)

jumb5150

So this past weekend, I got to ride with 2000 bikes all at once here in Ca. We were showing our support to the law makers who were thinking of putting ridiculous laws on the ballot.

The 3 main laws that we were concerned about were
  • Reflective vests are a requirement
  • No Riding in groups of more than 3
  • No lane splitting

Every motor cycle crew was present from the Hells Angels to the Vagos. Rival clubs in unity towards one common enemy....... Stupid A$$ laws.

Here is a vid shot from my bike

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaWRjGaEQ2M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaWRjGaEQ2M[/ame]

thach1130

So this past weekend, I got to ride with 2000 bikes all at once here in Ca. We were showing our support to the law makers who were thinking of putting ridiculous laws on the ballot.

The 3 main laws that we were concerned about were
  • Reflective vests are a requirement
  • No Riding in groups of more than 3
  • No lane splitting

Every motor cycle crew was present from the Hells Angels to the Vagos. Rival clubs in unity towards one common enemy....... Stupid A$$ laws.

Number 2 will never happen, it infringe on your 1st amendment rights freedom of assembly.
Freedom of assembly:
Citizens can come together in public and private gatherings. They can join groups for political, religious, social or recreational purposes. By organizing to accomplish a common goal, citizens can spread their ideas more effectively.

Gusm91

Number 2 will never happen, it infringe on your 1st amendment rights freedom of assembly.
Freedom of assembly:
Citizens can come together in public and private gatherings. They can join groups for political, religious, social or recreational purposes. By organizing to accomplish a common goal, citizens can spread their ideas more effectively.

the reason i live in California is because we CAN lane split. What a bummer...do you think it will pass? I mean traffic will be 4% worse...at least.

Woody146

Banned
First they do us dirty with ridiculous gun laws..now they're trying to make riding less fun...Wow...come on Cali

alexk

Weekend Rider
I'm in Texas, and we have similar events regularly. Trick is, we still can't lane split at any speed.

We can, however, ride without a helmet or any other gear (as long as our crotches are covered its fine). While I'm happy to have the freedom to be a complete moron, it's pretty easy to get upset when I see someone rocket by without having taken even basic precautions to protect themselves.

I keep coming back to this thread, and I keep seeing the same pattern: the legislators trying to increase safety, and the legislated crying "Tyrrany."

The legislators are seeing three points and trying to address them: drivers just don't see us reliably, the bulk of insurance claims come from group riding accidents, and lane splitting opens the rider to car doors and lane changes.

So, I'd like to ask a simple question:

Regardless of the legal status, do you think these are good ideas to help you stay alive?

Gusm91

I'm in Texas, and we have similar events regularly. Trick is, we still can't lane split at any speed.

We can, however, ride without a helmet or any other gear (as long as our crotches are covered its fine). While I'm happy to have the freedom to be a complete moron, it's pretty easy to get upset when I see someone rocket by without having taken even basic precautions to protect themselves.

I keep coming back to this thread, and I keep seeing the same pattern: the legislators trying to increase safety, and the legislated crying "Tyrrany."

The legislators are seeing three points and trying to address them: drivers just don't see us reliably, the bulk of insurance claims come from group riding accidents, and lane splitting opens the rider to car doors and lane changes.

So, I'd like to ask a simple question:

Regardless of the legal status, do you think these are good ideas to help you stay alive?

Is is advantages and disadvantages to everything in life. Lane splitting can be either. For example, I read an article that that compared California Lane splitting law to all the other states. As we all know, California is the only state where lane splitting is legal. Is that a death sentence? I don't know, but the article I was reading said something like, "Motorcyclists are more likely to be fatally injured if we were hit from behind (in traffic) than suppose being hit while lane splitting." I can't remember the website but it had all sorts of statistics about motorcyclists here in California. Also, another thing i read is that if lane splitting were illegal, then traffic in California(obviously not isolated areas) will be on a rise and people will be expected to wait an extra 10 minutes in traffic. I don't know about you or other people, but I do not want to be sitting in 2 hour traffic on my motorcycle.

So to your question...The answer is sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Last edited:

NoNine4me

No laws with respect to lane-splitting, riding in groups, or reflective vests are under any kind of consideration right now by the CA legislature. This rally seems to be a kind of "pre-emptive" strike to let lawmakers know how we feel. The group riding law would be particularly impossible as it is unconstitutional and unenforceable. It would have to apply to cars as well as bicycles and we can imagine how that would go.

California released very specific guides on how lane-splitting can be done legally in February 2013.

lance2448

That's about as dumb as saying only yellow cars are allowed, and you can't have more than 2 passengers.

I feel like our government tries as hard as possible to be as daft as possible :mad: