Recommended oils

Takdogg

I've read a few threads that recommend using Shell Rotella T6 synthetic motor oil. Is this available in something other than 5W40. The reason I am inquiring is because the owners manual does not recognize this as a recommended oil. It seems the manual recommends 10W30 up to 20W50 depending on temperature range. Temperature is a big consideration since I am living in the Arizona desert but it is starting to cool down into the low 100's upper 90's. I guess my biggest question is if you get the best performance from the Shell Rotella T6 even though it isn't a recommended oil?

lance2448

I'm curious as well. I've used Rotella in my SV650 and had no issues in the summer (also live in Phoenix). But this bike could be different.

W

WARPTH

well here in aus 4litres of virtually any mc oil is $60 AUD where as yamaha do a oil change kit now where you get 4ltr of yamalube, genuine oil filter and sump plug washer for $79.95 AUD.

FZER

Avid Rider
If someone does read though all of that and doesn't understand why we are using Shell rotella T synthetic, my personal opinion and my major sell points is both the ability of the synthetic properties to still coat all the engine and transmission for longer periods of time when you aren’t using the bike thus reducing start up wear, and the advanced C rating for shear. Gear box can shear the mess out of your oil. Some reviews I have read about this oil claims that the engine does run cooler with it and the gear box shifts easier.

F

Fazed

well here in aus 4litres of virtually any mc oil is $60 AUD where as yamaha do a oil change kit now where you get 4ltr of yamalube, genuine oil filter and sump plug washer for $79.95 AUD.

So basically you get a free copper washer? How generous.

The trick is not to buy motorcycle oil. I get oil for mine for around $38 for 5 litres. I use Penrite HPR Diesel 15. Been using it in bikes and other vehicles for years. Penrite even say you can use it in motorcycles.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/HPR DIESEL 15 AUG 2012.pdf

Now if you want to save a little bit extra on your oil changes, you can get a Ryco filter. I've forgotten what Z number it was but can dig it up if you want it. I was going to fit one at my 1000km oil change but decided to go the Vesrah filter instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

mckshred

You should be able to use 10-40 or 10-50. I live in PHX also.

FZER

Avid Rider
After three oil changes you have enough oil left over to do basically a free oil change, the filter not included.

BIGpanda

Used Rotella T full syn in my honda CBR600rr for 15k miles and been using it in my dads Harley since the first oil change, been using it in the 8 since I bought it. It really is the best oil out there. I even use it in my truck at all oil changes.

Takdogg

Thanks for the info fellow riders

Thanks for all the input on this subject. I've decided to go with the Rotella for 3 reasons: Gets great reviews from fellow riders, Inexpensive (best bang for the buck), and the wife works at Wal-Mart so I get a dicount :) I've decided that since the oil and a Purolator filter costs less than $30 that I'll change it every 2000 miles. Bought some BelRay chain lube and I am wondering if everyone lubes their chain every 500 miles like is suggested?

BIGpanda

Shit I can't remember the last time I lubed my chain. I'm gonna clean and lube it up on Friday before my poker run on Saturday though.