Put a deposit on a 2013

atx8

Hello FZ8ers

I recently put a down payment on a 2013 and am now waiting for the bike to arrive. The dealer told me I was the second person to order one and the estimated wait time is 4 weeks. That was one week ago. I have been lurking around the forum since then and decided to introduce my self. This will be my 3rd bike. The others were a 99 GSXR 600 and an 05 CBR 600RR. I have a few seasons of experience and am looking to a few more with the FZ8. I live in the Austin Texas area so if anyone wants to go cruizing or have a tech day send me a message. Also I have been looking around trying to find the factory break in procedue but have not have any luck. If you know where I can find this and all the other maint. intervals please post me a link.

atx8

Awesome! Congrats! 2013 with the adjustable suspension! Very nice. :welcome:

This was one of my complaints about the 2012 that I test rode. I figured it would be worth a months wait for adjustable suspension and the other factory tweaks.

07cobaltLScoupe

congrats man! i just got a new 2012 and i need to get used to it, the suspension is a lot stiffer than my old Honda lol. and for the first 600 miles keep it under like 6k RPM, you're supposed to get a 600 mile service done, then between 600 and 1000 miles i think it's under like 8k RPM and after 1000 it's all free game!

atx8

Thanks for the warm welcome. I new about under 6k till 600 but not about the rest. I suppose I should be on the look out for a good back road with little traffic.

alexk

Weekend Rider
And I shall call you Number Two. =p

I was wondering if the second order at Woods Fun Center was on the boards. =)

I too am waiting with baited breath. Maybe we'll see eachother when we take delivery.

atx8

I too am waiting with baited breath. Maybe we'll see eachother when we take delivery.

LOL. I was wondering the same thing. What ETA did Woods tell you? Also did you test ride that 2012 they had?

alexk

Weekend Rider
Lol... I'm the reason the 2012 on the floor has a battery. =p

They also have a 2012 crated in the back.

While I'm definitely getting impatient, I'm not asking for any ETAs, as the dealer has no control over when they receive the bikes, and there's no point in leaning too hard on the dealer when the delays are with Yamaha.

atx8

You must have been the guy who put the first 6 miles on it. That's what the ODO read when I test rode it.

Lee_533

Thanks for the warm welcome. I new about under 6k till 600 but not about the rest. I suppose I should be on the look out for a good back road with little traffic.

Try to stay off the freeways. During the bikes break in period you want to keep it under 6 for the first 600 but you also want to rev between the ranges. If you stay at a certain rpm for a long period of time during break in you can cause "memory" in the cylinders. At least that's what everyone's "mechanics included" told me. I road the hell out of mine just so I could get past that 1000 mile marker, as soon as I saw that thing hit 1000, I pinned it just to see if the dealership was lying about the top speed lol. Don't worry, where I live there is no such thing as traffic, maybe a cow or two lol

waypoint

mod squad
Hello FZ8ers

I recently put a down payment on a 2013 and am now waiting for the bike to arrive. The dealer told me I was the second person to order one and the estimated wait time is 4 weeks. That was one week ago. I have been lurking around the forum since then and decided to introduce my self.

Yo... So you both got new 2013 FZ8s and a MotoGP race at COTA coming at you in April ;) Nice!
Welcome to the forum. We will all be waiting semi-patiently with you and look forward to your first review.

Anybody else here with a 2013?

atx8

Yo... So you both got new 2013 FZ8s and a MotoGP race at COTA coming at you in April ;) Nice!
Welcome to the forum. We will all be waiting semi-patiently with you and look forward to your first review.

Anybody else here with a 2013?

Yep. Im looking forward to both. I got a new helm and jacket, Icon Alliance and Joe Rocket Velocity, to go with the new bike so it's going to be a nice ride. Minus the RPM surging. I will do a review after a few hundred miles of seat/break in time although I have a feeling that mine will come in after the other member's.

cambo

Avid Rider
Dibs on your adjustable black forks if you, for whatever reason, want non adjustable gold forks. :p

alexk

Weekend Rider
Delay is Yamaha's doing, not the dealers'

Estimated wait at this point would be a guess by the dealer - Yamaha itself is running late. Yamaha had initially committed to having the 2013 FZ8 in dealers' hands by the end of February, but only started accepting orders from dealers in March.

This delay was compounded by the central TX Yamaha rep being on vacation the first week of March.

The only bit of real information I have is that lots of fully assembled black-fork FZ8s have been moved in and out of the Yamaha Southern California offices by way of flat-bed big-rigs. I have outsider speculation as to why they'd be doing this, but none of it makes sense; these things are shipped partially assembled in very large crates. These bikes could be testers for the EPA, or some other government entity, or they could be mules for final ECU tests, or they could be employee purchases, or they could be a loaner fleet, or my brother-in-law could have completely misidentified what he's been seeing. =p

My theory is that it's ECU testing. As I recall, Yamaha had suggested new ECU maps on the 2013s, but their website no longer mentions it. It had talked about new ignition maps to make the engine feel more dynamic/punchier.

Me? I'm checking in with the dealer weekly to see if they have new information, and am in the meantime running my beater Buell Blast (which hopefully will go away sooner rather than later)