Plasti Dip or Powder Coat

jumb5150

So I just picked up an R1 shock and about to get the Satan adapter. But before I do the install, I was thinking of either powdercoating or plastidiping the spring. Now I would like to do plasti dip so I can do the spring yellow. Kinda like the ohlins. Im not trying to fool anyone by saying I have an Ohlins rear but I like the yellow. Since Its a mod i did on my bike, I would like it to look different than the standard black that we have on our bikes. But if I would have to do the powder coat route, I would do black or red.

Motogpmad

So I just picked up an R1 shock and about to get the Satan adapter. But before I do the install, I was thinking of either powdercoating or plastidiping the spring. Now I would like to do plasti dip so I can do the spring yellow. Kinda like the ohlins. Im not trying to fool anyone by saying I have an Ohlins rear but I like the yellow. Since Its a mod i did on my bike, I would like it to look different than the standard black that we have on our bikes. But if I would have to do the powder coat route, I would do black or red.
Ral 6002 is a nice yellow in powdercoat. You will get better adhesion with powdercoat too.

Motogpmad

I stand corrected. Sorry mate. ral 1023. 6002 is the kwak green i think. I have used both colours on my zx7r. Make sure you get the spring blasted thoroughly first or it will detach over time. You might even need to get it chemically stripped first if its been powdercoated from new.

Last edited:

jumb5150

I do powdercoating at my shop and yes I sandblast my parts first. Coils and springs are very tricky to powder coat because the spring itself creates a faraday cage. It will start to repel the powder when electricity is applied. So what I do first is heat up the spring then shoot the powder.

Motogpmad

Cool. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs :D. I did it also for 15 years. I don't want to mention the company as i know advertising is not well accepted on certain forums. I'm still very much involved with the company as i build and admin the website for them. If you want i will DM you the websites so you can see what they can do.

Jwood9

Speaking of plasti dip i did it on the passenger pegs and it looks great!!! Very cheap and easily removable if you get tired of it...

jumb5150

Cool. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs :D. I did it also for 15 years. I don't want to mention the company as i know advertising is not well accepted on certain forums. I'm still very much involved with the company as i build and admin the website for them. If you want i will DM you the websites so you can see what they can do.

Sure thing