Other bikes you've considerd buying instead of the FZ8 ?

FZ8qwk

I still have not purchased a bike yet.
The FZ8 is a really nice bike.
Did you guys consider buying any other type of bike ?
did you get the FZ8 because of cost ?
Why did you buy an FZ8 ?

b-eock

I like sport bikes, I also like Dirt bikes(super motos since it would be on the street). I looked at the WR-250/450, R1/6, and the FZ8. The FZ8 had the cheapest insurance besides the super moto bikes, mind you it is still A LOT. I would have gotten in trouble a lot for off roading with the Super Motos. So I went with the FZ8. Glad I did. Next bike will be an R1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

FZ8qwk

I like sport bikes, I also like Dirt bikes(super motos since it would be on the street). I looked at the WR-250/450, R1/6, and the FZ8. The FZ8 had the cheapest insurance besides the super moto bikes, mind you it is still A LOT. I would have gotten in trouble a lot for off roading with the Super Motos. So I went with the FZ8. Glad I did. Next bike will be an R1

how much is your ins, if you dont mind telling.

I was quoted the following :

$130 BASIC BARE BONES.
$600 BASIC, COMP
$1350 Full coverage.

black8

I sold my 2012 zzr1400 due to circumstances out of my hands,and liked the look of the fz8 so rather than doing without, i bought it but i will be getting another 1 soon

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
I looked very seriously at the Z1000 and the CB1000R. In the end, it was the price point that helped the decision along. I've never looked back. This bike is exactly what I wanted. The liter may have been just a little more bike than needed, and $2000 is a good amount extra to pay for something excessive. But, having said that, a bike isn't about necessity for most people. It's about want and fun. Ride what you ride and admire everything else from afar (or up close...).

FZ8qwk

I looked very seriously at the Z1000 and the CB1000R. In the end, it was the price point that helped the decision along. I've never looked back. This bike is exactly what I wanted. The liter may have been just a little more bike than needed, and $2000 is a good amount extra to pay for something excessive. But, having said that, a bike isn't about necessity for most people. It's about want and fun. Ride what you ride and admire everything else from afar (or up close...).

cool, I'm kinda on the fence between the FZ8 & CB myself, the CB is a real nice bike, but then again, soo is the FZ8, and its cheaper by $2k or so like you said.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
I saw the other week that Honda came out with a retro-style CB in the 1100 flavor. Just another option :) That CB1000R is beautiful. If that's the one you're looking at, make sure you negotiate hard with them. You never know what kind of deal a hard-up dealership will make with you. Here, they had a BOGO deal. If you bought a CBR1000RR at retail, you got a 600RR for free (pay taxes on it, of course). The deals are out there. I talked my dealer down to $6900 for the FZ (plus taxes and stuff). Not a great deal, but better than $8500 plus plus.

Dom83

I bought the 8 as my first bike...I was looking for something powerful enough, insurance cheap, fun to ride for long, good lookiing and since I didn't want a racer Ididn't want any fairing and love the naked look....so I went for the fz8!

Honestly I have no regret...and more the fz8 was cheaper to the same bike of other make!

My other choice was kawa Z1000, triumph speed triple, honda cb1000

you should really consider the fz8 you'll love it!!!

For the insurance I pay 600$/ year in canada
full full coverage ...there is a recent thread only for insurance you'll find someone near you to compare!

VDCOFF

I had a 2003 r6 before my fz8...

and I had a 2000 kawasaki zx6r before my r6...

and I bought my FZ8 because I was tired of getting cramps in my back from long rides on the sport bikes I had, the FZ8 is a nice compromise between decent riding position and performance.

b-eock

how much is your ins, if you dont mind telling.

I was quoted the following :

$130 BASIC BARE BONES.
$600 BASIC, COMP
$1350 Full coverage.

I pay close to or just over 3 grand a year, full coverage that is. I'm 17, took the MSF course and don't have any tickets.

b-eock

And that was the cheapest insurance around. State farm wouldn't even consider covering me.

Stangrrr

Weekend Rider
Didn't really consider any other bike due to the bang for the buck factor. Still some really good deals out there on "leftover" (2011 & 2012) FZ8's and Fazers...

If price wasn't an issue, I would have considered a Speed Triple...

DLSGAP

My last bike was a zx10. I went to the yamaha dealer fully intending to buy a 2011 r1... Saw the deal on the fz and thought... Well, it would be better for commuting to work and I can still track it. ..

I like the fz, but honestly wish I had gotten the r1

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

The Arsenal

The FZ1 ended up being the bike that the dealer had me thinking about long and hard before I bought the 8. With some good haggle you can get the price down on the FZ1 to within $1000-1500 of the 8. It's got the same comfy riding position; better wind protection for hwy rides; and about 45HP more. Still sometimes wonder why I did not do it. At the time didn't have the $$$ to make it work I guess. Don't get me wrong; have a blast on the FZ8...but just sayin'...

richielord09

Last bike was 2010 R6 Purchased the FZ8 as I wanted a fast fun bike but also able to take the mrs out on the back with a bit of touring in mind.

ssky0078

The FZ1 ended up being the bike that the dealer had me thinking about long and hard before I bought the 8. With some good haggle you can get the price down on the FZ1 to within $1000-1500 of the 8. It's got the same comfy riding position; better wind protection for hwy rides; and about 45HP more. Still sometimes wonder why I did not do it. At the time didn't have the $$$ to make it work I guess. Don't get me wrong; have a blast on the FZ8...but just sayin'...

I went with the Fz1. I was looking hard at an Fz8. I wanted to have the excessive power. I figured why not just have it there to and not use it then wish I had something I didn't. I ended up doing the streetfighter euro naked headlight conversion on the Fz1 so it looks like a big Fz8. I get compliments all the time (oddly often by 40 and 50 year old women, I'm only in my 30s, LOL, cougar bait for the ladies that don't want an old fat ass HD rider I guess, LOL)

Other bikes I looked at Speed Triple/Street Triple. CB1000R (price scared me off, and don't fit well on rearsets).

Now I want a Tuono V4R (traction control, wheelie control and awesomenesss on two wheels) and plan on waiting a couple years while I continue to beat up my Fz1 and save for the Tuono.

FZ8qwk

I went with the Fz1. I was looking hard at an Fz8. I wanted to have the excessive power. I figured why not just have it there to and not use it then wish I had something I didn't. I ended up doing the streetfighter euro naked headlight conversion on the Fz1 so it looks like a big Fz8. I get compliments all the time (oddly often by 40 and 50 year old women, I'm only in my 30s, LOL, cougar bait for the ladies that don't want an old fat ass HD rider I guess, LOL)

Other bikes I looked at Speed Triple/Street Triple. CB1000R (price scared me off, and don't fit well on rearsets).

Now I want a Tuono V4R (traction control, wheelie control and awesomenesss on two wheels) and plan on waiting a couple years while I continue to beat up my Fz1 and save for the Tuono.
Tuono V4R, first ive heard of this bike, ima look it up.

Jafran

Over the last 10 years, I’ve owned a V-Strom 1000 (too big), an FZ6R (too small), and the FZ8 (just right). I liked the FZ6R a lot, but found it just a tiny bit buzzy for my taste.

I go for an upright riding position, user friendliness, decent torque, and some fun on the top end occasionally. I also like to farkle for fun. I’m enjoying every minute with the FZ8. And I’ve learned to really enjoy the naked experience versus riding with a windshield.

My 2 cents worth: (1) Decide what is most important to you about riding: Cost? Looks? Posing? Speed? Comfort? (2) RIDE some possible candidates before you buy. I once heard from a dealership that only about 15% of new motorcycle buyers test ride before they buy. I couldn’t believe it. That’s just taking a huge risk with a lot of money. Also, check insurance rates and availability before you buy. And factor in the price of good equipment: helmet, jacket, boots, gloves. (3) Don’t pay too much attention to magazine reviews. They love every bike they ride, especially ones that have way more capability than 99% of us will ever use, especially on public streets with speed limits and penalties for moving violations. (4) After you buy, work on your own riding skills more than thinking about whether or not you love every aspect of your new machine. When your skills or riding interests (like off-road versus on-road) have progressed past your current machine, it’s time to look for a new one. Otherwise, it ends up being a VERY expensive hobby.