Oil Pressure Light

C

calscrazy

every morning i go through the same routine. go out fire up the bike, put on my gear, check back pack to make sure all closed up and go. i have noticed that evey morning my low oil pressure light comes on at 160 degrees and goes off at 167. it only does it in the morning and it does it every morning. i am thinking faulty switch but don't really have the time to run bike to dealer right now. is anybody else's doing this?

DownhomeMoto

I would take it ASAP, if there is a problem you don't want the stealership to not cover it.

I had a R6 do almost the same thing. Mine would come on about five mins after start up. Not every time but it seemed to only do it when the oil was about 500 miles form being changed.

C

calscrazy

oil level is good!
called a few dealers today to see who i might trust.

first one says bring it in so we can fiddle with it.
second one said if it runs good then i wouldnt worry until a problem arose.
third one said they were sending a memo to yamaha tech hotleine and would call me tuesday.

H

Hoover

You are lucky to have 3 to chose from. I would take door number 3

G Chase

Pillion
Oil level switch replaced...

I have the oil light problem. On rare occasion the 'oil level low' light will come on. This usually happens just after starting out in the AM. Do not see this after engine fully warmed up or during a long ride. I immediately stop and turn off the motor and the problem disappears for a couple of weeks the I get it again under same circumstances. I always let let the engine warm up at least 2-3 min before riding, the oil level is right, don't ride like a nut.

Dealer says Yamaha has not heard of this problem. They replaced the oil level switch anyway. Two days later after starting home from work the 'oil level low' light came on. No idea what it could be. ???

jumb5150

Had this happen to me this morning. Warming up the bike then put it in first then oil light came on. I just turned it off and back on and it disappeared.

master paper clip

oil level is good!
called a few dealers today to see who i might trust.

first one says bring it in so we can fiddle with it.
second one said if it runs good then i wouldnt worry until a problem arose.
third one said they were sending a memo to yamaha tech hotleine and would call me tuesday.

Well now u know to never call option number 2

JSP

Administrator
I believe it is an oil LEVEL sensor. No pressure sensor on the bike so do not worry as long as you have correct oil level. Usually a bad sensor. (not much anything else it could be if your oil is correct and filled in the proper manner. Bike UPRIGHT and level).

Last edited:
F

Fazed

That light is a low oil level light. The FZ8 does not have a low oil pressure light.

eggserronius

I would take it ASAP, if there is a problem you don't want the stealership to not cover it.

I had a R6 do almost the same thing. Mine would come on about five mins after start up. Not every time but it seemed to only do it when the oil was about 500 miles form being changed.
My 09 r6 did the same thing. Weird.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

F

Fazed

Just please dear god, do not rely on this sensor to tell you if your oil is low. When this light comes on your oil is way below the low oil level on the sight glass. I think it's more intended to be a warning if you have popped a gasket or hose when you are out riding, so you pull over and check it out.

G Chase

Pillion
My dealer contacted Yamaha rep about my oil light problem and they denied ever hearing of this before. The rep grudgingly gave the dealer permission to replace the level sensor under warranty. Less than a week later the light came on again. Did not go out unless I killed the engine and restarted.

Now I keep the oil level at the very TOP of the window and have not seen this problem since. I think it's just a lousy level switch design or it's the wrong switch altogether, that doesn't jive with the proper oil level, causing it to activate too soon.