O.M.G!!!!!!!!!

randyka

wow, just dont understand why you guys think this looks good. i just don't see it. :shrugs:

Well first, I love high mount exhaust, and this one in particular is very unobtrusive. It goes behind the passenger peg and underneath the seat, and I think that looks really clean. I'm just really tired of scraping my exhaust too to be honest. Our bike's clearance sucks as it is.

MotoZen

I like under tail exhaust systems in general, but this looks wrong to me for some reason. I'd much rather have Marthy's midship with a Coffman.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

master paper clip

Well first, I love high mount exhaust, and this one in particular is very unobtrusive. It goes behind the passenger peg and underneath the seat, and I think that looks really clean. I'm just really tired of scraping my exhaust too to be honest. Our bike's clearance sucks as it is.

o_O how R u scraping the exhaust, I've never heard of that unless u got an aftermarket one that sticks out, people see u coming threw a corner and must thinkyour low siding... Then they realize its just the stigs 2 wheel loving cousin

randyka

o_O how R u scraping the exhaust, I've never heard of that unless u got an aftermarket one that sticks out, people see u coming threw a corner and must thinkyour low siding... Then they realize its just the stigs 2 wheel loving cousin

So I take my bike to the track often. At first, I was scraping my pegs, but that was an easy fix. I changed my rearsets to the vortex rearsets. Now, when I'm at the bike's max lean angle, trail braking, and as soon as I get off the brake completely and touch the throttle, PFFFFTTTTTTTTT. The rear dips (thanks to the soft suspension) and scrapes the exhaust. You can see the bottom of my exhaust being scraped, and you're absolutely right... If I were to push the bike a tad harder, here comes the lowside. That is exactly why I have been in a hunt for a high mount exhaust.

http://i.imgur.com/ERHiQbX.jpg

That was taken 2.5 months ago. The scraped area has grown much larger since then....I think at this point, I'm just grounding down my exhaust to a nub before I purchase a new one...

EDIT: my eyes were tearing up because you just compared me to someone related to the Stig....

Last edited:

F3NIX

First off.. to each is own. If u like this then go for it.

I personally think it looks horrible on the 8. If your worried about clearance and undertail exhaust, clipons etc you might as well go buy an R1!

Wouldnt that give u everything your trying to turn your 8 into?

my 2 cents

Sent from my phone

cambo

Avid Rider
First off.. to each is own. If u like this then go for it.

I personally think it looks horrible on the 8. If your worried about clearance and undertail exhaust, clipons etc you might as well go buy an R1!

Wouldnt that give u everything your trying to turn your 8 into?

my 2 cents

Sent from my phone

ha, R1...I wish!

1) too much power
2) insurance is ridiculous!
3) twice the cost of my 8 (new)

and for me it's been/continues to be about the "science experiment"; doing something with a bike that barely anyone has/knows about. The uniqueness--that's what appealed to me hugely. R1...awesome!...but not unique (around here). Additionally, It's good to know that once/if I get tired of all these mods, that I can turn it right back to an all day commuter/road tripper again. This bike can grow old with me--I won't outgrow it. I would definitely outgrow an R1 or any supersport bike for that matter. Does that make sense? Anywhoo, like you said, to each his own! But you're right...I certainly do hope to add the R1 to the stable in the future. I hear 35 years old is the magic number, insurance wise.

Last edited:

Bajaedition

I ran SS bikes for years
20 years to be exact
from the first SS bike, a 86 GSXR 750, the first SS bike on the market
to a 2003 GSXR 1000, the last of 5 SS bikes I ever owned
I an tell you that I did outgrow them
too narrowly focused for me
since then
my 2003 ZZR and my 2013 Fz8 have been bikes that are more utilitarian
but that is just me, If I still wanted a track bike, the FZ8 would not be a candidate for that. Nope to many things that do not make sense that would take to much money to change, just get a GSXR and have it from the start.
Not that I feel track bikes are not nice, I spent years having fun at Willow Springs and Chuckwalla raceways.
Learned a lot also
But I just want a bike that I can do more than 50 miles before my ass hurts anymore

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
If I still wanted a track bike, the FZ8 would not be a candidate for that. Nope to many things that do not make sense that would take to much money to change, just get a GSXR and have it from the start.
Not that I feel track bikes are not nice, I spent years having fun at Willow Springs and Chuckwalla raceways.
Learned a lot also
But I just want a bike that I can do more than 50 miles before my ass hurts anymore

haha, this is my last threadjack post I swear. I dunno about you folks but I bought this bike strickly as an alternative commuter. My F150 was absolulely RAPING me in fuel costs for my 80 mile round trip commute. When I was looking for a motorcycle, I never even had the thought of tracking it. I didn't even know what track days were! I was like...oh yeah track days? cool man yeah let's ride up to the track and run a mile, yeah cool I'm down with that. I'm fat I need the cardio.

For me, being the motorcycle noob that I am and being that the fz8 is all I've known, whenever I finally do track it...I guarantee I'm going to completely enjoy the hell out of it because I won't be able to point out what the 8 is lacking, needs, etc!

And then if/when I do get a bike better suited for the track...I'm probably going to shit myself in excitement over how much better the ride will feel :D

Nobody better be riding behind me! "Nope...that's not part of my leather suit design...that's poo poo." lololol

randyka

I was exactly in cambo's position.
- motorcycle noob and wanted a nice bike to grow into
- oh look! An fz8 that thing looks gorgeous! Oh snap! The insurance is cheap too ($350 a year, full coverage, 100/300k, 500 deductible compared to 15 million a year for an R1)!
- that's perfect considering I'm a poor grad student!
- rode the fz8 till I met another guy who also wanted to improve his riding skills
- hey! Let's track our bike (1 day at the track =1 year on the street and I shit you not)
- got addicted and now my fz8 is my commuter bike as well as my track bike until I graduate. I'll buy an actual track bike then.

Though the fz8 has several issues on the track, I can't deny the fact that it still performs admirably and better than I could have ever imagined on the track. Especially when I paid $6400 vs. $13k for an R1.

MotoZen

I ran SS bikes for years
20 years to be exact
from the first SS bike, a 86 GSXR 750, the first SS bike on the market
to a 2003 GSXR 1000, the last of 5 SS bikes I ever owned
I an tell you that I did outgrow them
too narrowly focused for me
since then
my 2003 ZZR and my 2013 Fz8 have been bikes that are more utilitarian
but that is just me, If I still wanted a track bike, the FZ8 would not be a candidate for that. Nope to many things that do not make sense that would take to much money to change, just get a GSXR and have it from the start.
Learned a lot also

The first bike to ever carry the Super Sport label was actually the 1975 Honda CB750F. Just sayin'. The only reason that I want to point this out is because I have one ('76 actually), and I love it, but I have to sell it in order to keep my FZ8.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Bajaedition

The first bike to ever carry the Super Sport label was actually the 1975 Honda CB750F. Just sayin'. The only reason that I want to point this out is because I have one ('76 actually), and I love it, but I have to sell it in order to keep my FZ8.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
the first bike with full racing faring was the 86 GSXR 750
it was miles ahead of the pack and other manufacturers had to play catch up to both the looks and the performance.

now call whatever you want a SS bike, but that was what all modern SS bikes point back to.

I am not putting anyone down for buying a FZ8 because they thought it was the answer to SS bikes. I am just saying it would take a lot of mods to make it a SS bike and actually buying a SS bike would be cheaper.
Insurance, nah that is the catch, but explain to why you totalled your FZ8 at a track day and see if they pay off. No matter what bike you have that is going be a hard one to collect on.

master paper clip

I'm don't want a super sport because I want a better track bike, I want a super sport cause I prefer the riding position, plus I have a hard on for the r1 line up, always have

MotoZen

the first bike with full racing faring was the 86 GSXR 750
it was miles ahead of the pack and other manufacturers had to play catch up to both the looks and the performance.

now call whatever you want a SS bike, but that was what all modern SS bikes point back to.

I am not putting anyone down for buying a FZ8 because they thought it was the answer to SS bikes. I am just saying it would take a lot of mods to make it a SS bike and actually buying a SS bike would be cheaper.
Insurance, nah that is the catch, but explain to why you totalled your FZ8 at a track day and see if they pay off. No matter what bike you have that is going be a hard one to collect on.

Out of curiosity, is there an official definition of what differentiates a "super sport" from a plain old "sport" bike? It seems to me that it is pretty much up to the manufacturer.

I won't argue that the GSXR 750 was a great bike. The old Cb750s were also way ahead of their time. I can also point out that if a fairing makes a super sport, people were putting race fairings on BMWs and Nortons even before that.

I'm just saying that, technically, the first bike to be called a super sport was the cb750f.

MotoZen

call it what you want
I am sure somewhere in 1932 Indian compared their bikes to super sports

I think that you're missing my point. I'm not saying that the CB750F was a better or sportier bike. I'm simply saying that it was the first to be OFFICIALLY called a super sport.

Bajaedition

I think that you're missing my point. I'm not saying that the CB750F was a better or sportier bike. I'm simply saying that it was the first to be OFFICIALLY called a super sport.

say as you wish, arguing over the internet is for morons

in 2 days it will not matter

Bajaedition

It's not an argument, it's a discussion. And it already doesn't matter.

the discussion ended when you started acting like a pitbull about the honda

point for point is a discussion

referring back to the same point again and again is an argument and it is about semantics which is ludicrous.

master paper clip

I don't see how him giving his opinion is acting like a pitbull, all he did was correct u by stating the cb750 was the first bike callled a super sporrt that's not acting like a pitbull that's correcting misinformation

Bajaedition

here is the point
if we were in teh same room
this discussion would not have gone this far
over the net so many guys get butt hurt because so many visual clues are not present
it proves that communication is not a written thing
it is a lot of visual and body language is so big into it

that is something I realize years ago so I just refuse to go further here. It will never be settled because now we are not even discussing the subject anymore.