New Owner!! Whats the real deal break-in period?!

Mta1981

Hey everyone,

Just upgraded from an 05 Fz6 to 2013 Fz8. Love the look and feel of this bike. So whats the general consensus on the break in period. The guy at the dealer told me to keep it under 4k for a 100 miles. Is that bs?

b-eock

Ride it like normal riding. No such thing as a break in period. I rode mine hard as hell from day one. Nearly 12K miles before I had a wreck. And it ran just fine. Ran great in fact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Woody146

Banned
They told me to keep it under 7k rpm for the first oil change,,so 700 miles...a mechanic buddy told me they are pre broken in from factory..just ride the thing and then stay up on oil changes...700-900 miles...some put crude back in..some put semi..I put full synthetic at. 900'or so miles..amsoil..runs like a champ

Best oils IMO

Amsoil
Mobile 1 4t
Royal purple
Motul

I stay away from the factory crap.,because it is just that..crap

Mta1981

See this is what I mean, I've heard mixed answers. Some pound on it immediately, others follow some method of taking it easy. What to do, what to do lol

Woody146

Banned
See this is what I mean, I've heard mixed answers. Some pound on it immediately, others follow some method of taking it easy. What to do, what to do lol

If you are skeptical...just baby it..then when you get more comfortable..whomp on it.

I babied at first then started going faster and faster

dart1963

Super Moderator
straight from the owners manual "Avoid prolonged operation" over xxx rpm until xxx miles...

it never says you can't run it to redline from the lot, just don't run full throttle highway speeds... so just ride it!

IanLeMasters

Ive seen quite a few engines detonate because of improper break in. None on bikes. But better safe than sorry. How hard is it to go without pinning it for a few days? Break ins from the factory usually only consist of a run up on a rolling road. I highly doubt they put each motor on a stand and run it in. I did mine like the book says. Theres a computer on the thing that has to log some data, and I'm sure Yamaha could be dicks if something went wrong and void any warr because of improper break in.

Just my 2c take it or leave it.

9 Lives

straight from the owners manual "Avoid prolonged operation" over xxx rpm until xxx miles...

it never says you can't run it to redline from the lot, just don't run full throttle highway speeds... so just ride it!

+1, follow the manual, it was written by the people that designed and built the bike. They are the ones warrantying your bike. I think they are more credible that any anonymous person on the forum.

Fazer 8

+1, follow the manual, it was written by the people that designed and built the bike. They are the ones warrantying your bike. I think they are more credible that any anonymous person on the forum.

+1 more. Unlike the break-in guidelines in my last new Kawasaki, which apparently hadn't been changed since the late 70s, the Yamaha FZ8 guidelines are actually pretty reasonable - they just suggest avoiding prolonged operation at higher rpms.

Last edited:

Mta1981

+1 more. Unlike the break-in guidelines in my last new Kawasaki, which apparently hadn't been changed since the late 70s, the Yamaha FZ8 guidelines are actually pretty reasonable - they just suggest prolonged operation at higher rpms.

I thought the manual says avoid prolonged periods of high rpms?

dart1963

Super Moderator
So it's ok if it revs high, just don't leave it up in rpms for long

exactly... so many people misread the manual and baby it... just ride it, but if you're a new rider and not familiar with I4... be careful... that power band hits fast... even on my wimpy FZ6R, above 7K she screams... and can get you into trouble fast coming out of a corner

eru000

The most important thing it to not ride at the same RPM for a long time for a few hundred miles at least (e.g. don't ride on the interstate at the same speed for 6 hours).

Mta1981

exactly... so many people misread the manual and baby it... just ride it, but if you're a new rider and not familiar with I4... be careful... that power band hits fast... even on my wimpy FZ6R, above 7K she screams... and can get you into trouble fast coming out of a corner

I just came off an fz6, she's no slouch, I loved that bike, but it was time for the upgrade while I could still get 2k for her. Thanks for the input. That's what I had figured the manual meant. I still haven't rev'd the fz8 past 10k yet, this thing rips! And I love the intake sound coming from that sweet duct on the tank. Can't wait to slap a yoshi on this thing!

F3NIX

Under 4k until.first oil change...I just rode it and everything is fine. Bard to keep this machine under 4k...it doesnt come alive until 6k!!