New Owner!! Whats the real deal break-in period?!

JSP

Administrator
On my 09, I pretty much rode it how i normally would. Minus highway cruising at the same RPM. Changed my oil the first week and that was that. Manual does not say you cannot go OVER the certain RPM, just dont stay there for extended period of time. Take it up and run it through the gears. ;)

Derek662

I hit 100 within the first 20 miles of having mine. But yet i took it easy most the time. I did notice after about 1000 miles my motor felt more free and I had more top end. Mine ran great till My accident.

Mta1981

I hit 100 within the first 20 miles of having mine. But yet i took it easy most the time. I did notice after about 1000 miles my motor felt more free and I had more top end. Mine ran great till My accident.

sorry to hear that, hope youre ok

Mta1981

On my 09, I pretty much rode it how i normally would. Minus highway cruising at the same RPM. Changed my oil the first week and that was that. Manual does not say you cannot go OVER the certain RPM, just dont stay there for extended period of time. Take it up and run it through the gears. ;)

How many miles before the first oil change? the dealer wants me back in there at 600 miles. how do you like the fz9?

JSP

Administrator
How many miles before the first oil change? the dealer wants me back in there at 600 miles. how do you like the fz9?

I changed it at 200. Wasnt dirty at all.. im at 900 or so right now. Wil change again around 1500 then on to more of the recommended schedule.

I absolutely love it! Torque is awesome. Thing pulls so hard. Power wheelies with ease. Super light and flickable. Only complaint is the snatchy on off on throttle. Makes you focus more on your throttle inputs though. Its not horrid though.. nothing that takes the giant grin off my face everytime i ride it. ;) Can get an ecu reflash for around $200 which cures all that and removes all restrictins as well. Ill do that sometime in the future.

It reminds me a lot of my fz8 i had. Little more pull and little lighter. I think i like the looks of the 8 a little more but i need to do some appearance mods still to the 9. Bar end mirrors, fender eliminator, flush mounts, etc. I liked the beefy mean looks of the 8 though.

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

I follow the Ride it hard to break in crowd. The guy at the revzilla boutique store actually takes his new bikes to the track to break it in :O

Rode mines hard after putting down 30 miles riding it to work right after getting it out the dealer lot lol. Never stay at a rpm range for too long, always vary the rpm from time to time.

I stayed with the factory yamalube till 1200 miles then I changed over to Rotella T6. Changed the oil once a year when springtime comes around. Bike has just about 10k miles on it and it rides just like it did out the dealer.

eru000

I follow the Ride it hard to break in crowd. The guy at the revzilla boutique store actually takes his new bikes to the track to break it in :O

The track is the best place to break it in!

I stayed with the factory yamalube till 1200 miles then I changed over to Rotella T6. Changed the oil once a year when springtime comes around. Bike has just about 10k miles on it and it rides just like it did out the dealer.
Once a year is a little long to go between oil changes. Even if you're only doing 3k miles a year. It breaks down over time, too, not just miles.

04wrxwagon

I got lucky and bought mine used, with 800 miles. The hard part was done. I've put 1000 miles on it since. It's hard to stay off the throttle. Especially since I upgraded from a carb fzr600. I'm pretty sure my average speed is 75..anywhere I go.

Rotaryknight

The track is the best place to break it in!

Once a year is a little long to go between oil changes. Even if you're only doing 3k miles a year. It breaks down over time, too, not just miles.

I figured that since Rotella T6 is a synthetic oil, it doesnt break down as fast as regular oil like yamalube.

9 Lives

The manufacturer does 90% of the break in for you. Some run the engine on a dyno with a preset program to seat the rings, others run the bike on the dyno at the end of the assembly line. Like the article that was posted earlier in the thread said the first 20 minutes that the engine runs is critical, so the manufacturer does this to make sure it's done properly.

eru000

I figured that since Rotella T6 is a synthetic oil, it doesnt break down as fast as regular oil like yamalube.

That's an incorrect assumption. And T6 is designed to start breaking down after about 2000 miles with shear forces (like that in our transmissions). Which is likely longer than most other oils.

I usually change mine every 3k miles or 2 months, whichever is sooner.

All About Motor Oil

Good read as well: Motorcycle Oil Filters & Air Filters