New Helmet Rant!

EZ RIDER

So I just purchased an Arai Signet Q helmet and so far I am not impressed. Now I know I am relatively new to riding (6 years) and I have only owned one other full face helmet (HJC) but when I go out and spend over $600 I expect a helmet that is quieter. They say that Arai is top of the line in helmets and yet I have the same result as a much less expensive helmet. I hate to wear ear plugs but the wind noise inside my helmet prevents me from riding without ear plugs. Does anyone else have this problem? I mean it is so loud that I cant hear my bike running. Am I expecting way to much from a helmet?

V

Vapordan

Not at 600. For that price you should be hearing your pulse. In your right foot.

Para-327th

The fit might be off in some way? How comfortable is it? Is it snug?

It's probably fine but that's all I can think of.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Had the same experience last year with an Arai Signet, was noisy and uncomfortable, went with a Shoie Qwest, nice and quiet, i also have a Schuberth Modular now, great helmet. Different head shape require different brands.

Last edited:

EZ RIDER

I tried on the Shoei Qwest and it didnt fit me right. I bout the Arai because I have a long oval head and it was really the only helmet that fits me proper.

JRider

Same thing with a Bell Star, noise ultimately made me try a Shoei Qwest (better fit much quieter). Crossed town the other day without riding jacket on, this made an even bigger difference.

C

calscrazy

dont know why but agv and scorpion are the two brands that fit me best. scorpion is my preferred. got hit by a dodge truck doing 60 that ran a red light. launched me 15 ft in the air according to witnesses. landed on the side of my head with all my weight just behind and slightly above my ear. my head hit hard enough that it cracked the helmet. witnesses said they thought i was dead until about two mins later when i came to, stood up and was pushing and swinging at the people around me. head injury i had was slight brain swelling and a concussion that took about three months to get back to normal. every dr at the er and all the cops said i should be dead. if you ask me those two brands work especially the scorpion.

FZER

Avid Rider
So I just purchased an Arai Signet Q helmet and so far I am not impressed. Now I know I am relatively new to riding (6 years) and I have only owned one other full face helmet (HJC) but when I go out and spend over $600 I expect a helmet that is quieter. They say that Arai is top of the line in helmets and yet I have the same result as a much less expensive helmet. I hate to wear ear plugs but the wind noise inside my helmet prevents me from riding without ear plugs. Does anyone else have this problem? I mean it is so loud that I cant hear my bike running. Am I expecting way to much from a helmet?

Man that is suprising. My Icon is much louder than my previous Arai. I'm guessing you had all the vents open? The face shield vents do make a lot of noise.

EZ RIDER

Man that is suprising. My Icon is much louder than my previous Arai. I'm guessing you had all the vents open? The face shield vents do make a lot of noise.

Nope all vents were closed. It sounds like a wind tunnel inside the helmet. I paid $666.69 for this helmet and I feel like I just got taken for a ride. I will NEVER buy Arai again. Maybe I will try Shark next, they are supposed to be good.

shaunone

Noticed the exact same issue with Arai...Super Loud. Switched to the new HJC RPS-10, lightest, quietest helmet I have ever worn. *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*

sixtus

Well this is disappointing.

I have a pretty large head, and it's also long oval shaped. I'm also new to riding (3 years) and currently have an HJC FS-15 (2XL). I needed to shave off some of the foam at the front and back because otherwise it was pretty much unbearable for more than 30 minutes. I didn't do much shopping around when I bought it.

Anyway, I have been researching good helmets for long oval heads, and read great things about Arai Profiles, and now that they are discontinued, the Signet-Q. So I was planning on getting one in a couple years, but now I'm not so sure I should. That's a lot of money to find out you hate something.

lyric911

Well this is disappointing.

I have a pretty large head, and it's also long oval shaped. I'm also new to riding (3 years) and currently have an HJC FS-15 (2XL). I needed to shave off some of the foam at the front and back because otherwise it was pretty much unbearable for more than 30 minutes. I didn't do much shopping around when I bought it.

Anyway, I have been researching good helmets for long oval heads, and read great things about Arai Profiles, and now that they are discontinued, the Signet-Q. So I was planning on getting one in a couple years, but now I'm not so sure I should. That's a lot of money to find out you hate something.

You shaved the foam on the inside of the helmet? That foam is what saves your life when you crash. Your helmet is likely useless now.

sixtus

You shaved the foam on the inside of the helmet? That foam is what saves your life when you crash. Your helmet is likely useless now.

I'm only talking about a couple of mm on each side, if that... there's still plenty of foam left, I just needed a little more room.

lyric911

I'm only talking about a couple of mm on each side, if that... there's still plenty of foam left, I just needed a little more room.

It's your brains, do what you want. Couple of mm or more, the helmets are designed and tested with a certain thickness. I'd buy a new helmet before I'd risk my brains like that.

V

Vapordan

I think what we are all trying to say is if you drop your helmet accidentally, it's considered done whether or not there is visible damage and you should get a new one. Taking a knife to your helmet worsens the situation irrespective of how much you shaved off.

BIGpanda

My Arai RX-Q isn't that quiet either, but I didn't buy it because I wanted a quite ride. If I wanted that I would get in my cage. I bought it because it was an Arai, and their legendary safety and mainly because I've always wanted an Arai, so in that sense I love my helmet.

hypo

it says AVERAGE noise levels here: Arai Signet-Q Review - webBikeWorld

love the webbikeworld reviews.

webBikeWorld Overall Opinionator - Arai Signet-Q
Picks...

...and Pans
  • Very solid feeling composite shell.
  • Outstanding paint and finish.
  • Excellent ventilation.
  • Solid and secure feel.
  • Outstanding comfort.
  • Internal fit can be customized.