New Forum Member Potential New Fz8 rider

ssky0078

Hello all,

I got to your forum from a link on my current forum the Fz6 community.

I have a 2008 Fz6 that I unfortunately crashed this weekend. I am physically alright but the bike will most likely get totalled. The dealership/shop I go to has a brand new 2012 Fz8 in the showroom that I may be able to jump up to depending on how the insurance works out.

I was wondering if anyone can give me the scoop on the pro's and con's for the Fz8.

I like the look of the bike and my biggest concern is that the full naked front end will give me no wind protection. I'm a big dude 6'4" about 250. On my Fz6 I could go full tuck and get next to no wind buffeting, sitting upright I could ride comfortable up to 75-80. I do a lot of sport touring up in the canyons and arizona highways (stupid speed sometime but we have such nice roads in most places, check out my youtube video from last weekend to get an idea [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8av6bvgevfE]AZ SR89 Prescott to Wilhoit on Fz6 Darkness - YouTube[/ame] ). During the week I use the bike as a commuter, 50% surface street, 50% highway.

I also already saw the thread about the suspension being too soft and not responsive enough. So I will plan on addressing that if I go the way of the Fz8 or Fz6 for that matter. Yamaha is just built for smaller dudes, and the funny thing is they have the best ergonomics of the Ricer Rockets for a guy my size.

Any other pros or cons you guys have will be greatly appreciated. I will be pushing my finances a little to get the Fz8 and want to make sure I don't screw myself or fall out of love with it too quickly.

sinclap2

Lazy
Hi & Welcome

:welcome:

I love my FZ8. I am a smidge under 6'2" and weigh ~230lb and loved the option of having the front cowling/faring. It works for me!

Dumb question:

Can you buy a Fazer 8 from Canada and take it back to the US, without any hassles?

I know here (from personal experience) it is a bit of pest to even buy a bike from another state.

This is a link to my bike album:
http://www.779cc.org/forum/members/sinclap2-albums-bike.html

D

Deleted member 438

:welcome:
I think the wind is something you just get used to, and there a couple windscreen options that may help a little. Great vid, BTW.

C

Camo

Welcome, you have some very nice roads in your neck of the woods! Not to mention very little traffic?
The FZ8 has enough room for you but by the looks of your riding, you'll find the limits of the suspension sooner rather than later but given the quality of your roads...maybe it'll be fine? Our measurements are very similar and probably could have just bought a base model Ohlins for the rear and upgraded the Oem front end. Allow at least a few bucks for mods when working out your budget

ssky0078

Dumb question:

Can you buy a Fazer 8 from Canada and take it back to the US, without any hassles?

I know here (from personal experience) it is a bit of pest to even buy a bike from another state.

This is a link to my bike album:
Yamaha FZ8 Forums - International FZ8 Motorcycle Community Forum - sinclap2's Album: Bike

Nice looking bike. I wish we could get the fairing option here in the States.

As for importation I think it would be a hassle. I ordered a $100 MRA Vario Touring windscreen from Canada and they gave me a warning that it may get stuck in customs and I may have to pay extra for it. When the package did show up it was dropped off near the middle of the night and I got an instant email notification. I imagined a canadian mounty dressed in red riding off for the canadian post like in the old west. I couldln't imagine getting a whole bike through as there are rules in regard to the value of the object crossing the border.

ssky0078

Welcome, you have some very nice roads in your neck of the woods! Not to mention very little traffic?
The FZ8 has enough room for you but by the looks of your riding, you'll find the limits of the suspension sooner rather than later but given the quality of your roads...maybe it'll be fine? Our measurements are very similar and probably could have just bought a base model Ohlins for the rear and upgraded the Oem front end. Allow at least a few bucks for mods when working out your budget

Well to be honest not all the roads are great. The crash that I had this Sunday was due to gravel/loose tar rock in the road that looked like the rest of the tarmac. I felt if I had better responsiveness from the suspension I may have saved myself.

In the video I posted there were a number of times that I felt the weight of the bike and me shift forward because the fork/springs on my Fz6 just didn't have the resistance needed. I talked to the shop today and we figured around 250-350 to just do the forks with different oil and racetec springs weighted for my body. I think for the base Ohlins rear they were thinking around 700-800 for the part and install. So I am figuring keeping a grand to 1250 around for the immediate suspension improvement
;)
Holy Crap I just looked and the Racetech Fork parts alone are over a grand. not including install for the Fz8

Last edited:

ssky0078

What is the seat like after a while of time in it? I sat on it in the shop today and it seemed to be a little broader and flatter than the Fz6 and it had a sharper edge off on the side. It seemed with feet on the pegs it may be comfortable like a beach cruiser bicycle seat.

Any thoghts ro experiences?

sinclap2

Lazy
The seat is not the most comfortable. An hour and half is all I can take and the I have to stop. I bought an air hawk for it (for longer rides) and it has made a huge difference. The only draw back to air hawk is that looks ugly when it is on, but my butt appreciates it.

H

Hoover

There are a couple of options for the seat. Corbin makes a 2 piece replacement which has had mixed reviews. Also, a French company called TopSellerie makes a couple. I have their 2 piecs cover system. It adds a little exta padding but not a lot. I can handle about 150 miles before I need a break.

Mansack

Here's some links for my finds for parts you're looking for.

Seat - Luimoto Seat Covers - Team Yamaha Seat Covers for YAMAHA FZ8 FAZER 8 10-12 - Luimoto
Got em. They're nice, black and gold look great.

Seat Mod - Spencers Moto Care - Page 1
He gutted my stock seat and put a gel inside. It is awesome. I sent new luimoto seat covers which he put on for me free of charge, but he does not need new covers. He could not mod the rear seat. Cost was $65 total, I had to ship and make return shipping label. The seat mod he did is perfect. He did the work in 2 days. Good guy.

Rear Suspension - IndySuperbikes - http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/home.php?cat=54036
Lowest price I found, at $519.95 with free shipping. This is where I'm getting mine soon.

Front Springs - MotorcycleSuperStore - Race Tech Fork Springs - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore
Lowest price I found, at $104.99 with free shipping. I've already put these in my bike.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

ssky0078

Can you get a half fairing and windshield setup like the Fz6 or Fz1 on the Fz8? In the US it seems to only offer the naked/streetfighter version

decooney

sky0078,

I'm a new FZ8 owner myself, and rode my buddies 2009 FZ6 last weekend quite a bit. If found the fairing on his FZ6 concentrates all the wind right in my face at normal riding position and I have to tuck way down to avoid wind. Up to 65-70mph, I actually like the FZ8 better as wind is equally distributed to my whole upper body area and face, and I actually prefer the more open feel of the FZ8 better. Then, the week prior to that I rode the FZ1. Very cool, but not like the FZ8 in terms of feel or handling or power band, especially for local street riding. The three bikes ride totally different. If you like ripping round locally, the FZ8 is a lot of fun to ride and I appreciate the torquey power band from low to midrange over the FZ1, FZ6, FZ6R. All nice bikes, but very different to me even as a newbie to the FZ line of bikes. Good luck.

Last edited:

ssky0078

sky0078,

I'm a new FZ8 owner myself, and rode my buddies 2009 FZ6 last weekend quite a bit. If found the fairing on his FZ6 concentrates all the wind right in my face at normal riding position and I have to tuck way down to avoid wind. Up to 65-70mph, I actually like the FZ8 better as wind is equally distributed to my whole upper body area and face, and I actually prefer the more open feel of the FZ8 better. Then, the week prior to that I rode the FZ1. Very cool, but not like the FZ8 in terms of feel or handling or power band, especially for local street riding. The three bikes ride totally different. If you like ripping round locally, the FZ8 is a lot of fun to ride and I appreciate the torquey power band from low to midrange over the FZ1, FZ6, FZ6R. All nice bikes, but very different to me even as a newbie to the FZ line of bikes. Good luck.

Thank you for that informative post. One of my two really only complaints of the 6 was the way that the wind was directed right into my upper chest and head/helmet at speeds over 75. I basically had to full tuck and found there was no wind issues in that position up to around 110, then from 110 to 130 I found that tere was a little bit fo wind that came back into play. Don't worry guys I only topped a hundred about 3 times on straight clean highway.

Have you taken your 8 up over 65 much?

My other complaint was the vibration. In the Fz6 around 4000 you get a vibe, then by 6000 it is annoying and past 6000 to the top of the power band it is terrible hand numbing annoying riding. Do you guys get that in the Fz8?

Ben1105

Thank you for that informative post. One of my two really only complaints of the 6 was the way that the wind was directed right into my upper chest and head/helmet at speeds over 75. I basically had to full tuck and found there was no wind issues in that position up to around 110, then from 110 to 130 I found that tere was a little bit fo wind that came back into play. Don't worry guys I only topped a hundred about 3 times on straight clean highway.

Have you taken your 8 up over 65 much?

My other complaint was the vibration. In the Fz6 around 4000 you get a vibe, then by 6000 it is annoying and past 6000 to the top of the power band it is terrible hand numbing annoying riding. Do you guys get that in the Fz8?

Being the terrible irresponsible person I am I have a fair bit of experience with these speeds on the 8 I don't really notice a difference in wind past 50 until I hit about 100 and from then on I generally like to go full tuck but that doesn't help too much, from 120-140 my helmet is generally as pushed up against my face as it can get. but anything under 110 or so is generally fairly comfortable for me.

decooney

ssky,

I defer to Ben's post above as I've not taken my bike to a track yet to try those speeds, probably never will, and use this one for street only. My crazy crotch rocket days were over for me a long time ago. Honestly, I bought and really appreciate the FZ8 for its nimble handling and fun under 75 mph speeds, mostly for darting around locally and short road trips. I took it up through a wine country run a few weekends ago, noticed a little bit of vibe on the FZ8 at 5k or so but nothing that bad. Also, I actually found the FZ1 and FZ6s I rode to be very smooth and a lot less vibey than other v-twin bikes I've owned and ridden. I don't know, I just really like how the FZ8 feels and rides. Its perfect for me and I'm very pleased with it so far and its not even broken in or had its first service yet. Good luck on whatever you do.

ssky0078

Being the terrible irresponsible person I am I have a fair bit of experience with these speeds on the 8 I don't really notice a difference in wind past 50 until I hit about 100 and from then on I generally like to go full tuck but that doesn't help too much, from 120-140 my helmet is generally as pushed up against my face as it can get. but anything under 110 or so is generally fairly comfortable for me.

LOLOL, terrible person going fast on nice roads, how dare you? Thanks that little bit of info did help.

I actually saw a Givi windscreen that makes it look transformer-ish. I wonder if that would help a little

Ben1105

I didn't really like the look of the Givi it just made it feel too tall, but a windscreen sounds like it would be nice.

C

Camo

I actually find the wind distribution damn good. 140-150kph on the freeway in a normal seating position is doable for at least an hour but tank hugging with wot at 180 and climbing.
I'm 6 foot 4