New brake trigger install

V

Vapordan

Before I butcher another part, I figured I'd come in here and ask. Is there a technique to catching the bolt when replacing the brake trigger? I'm having difficulty threading the bolt with the new shorty lever. The hole seems to line up perfectly but the bolt doesn't catch. And a lot of time is wasting. Remove the trigger, bolt catches fine so the threading is good.

wa2txcory

Sounds weird man. Not sure. I had never changed levers before till this bike and went with some Ebay Shortys (Black/Black) and it was super quick and way easier than I thought. I didnt have any trouble whatsoever. Might be the lever?

V

Vapordan

Ya, you may be right. These are the rideitmoto shorty levers. This is the second pair. The first pair were really tight fit and the brake would not release after I squeezed it. I had to manually push it back out for it to disengage the brake. I got another pair thinking it was me. Same thing. Got the bolt to catch finally. Very tight fit with the lever. Squeeze the trigger, put the bike in neutral, bike won't budge. Push out the lever, bike rolls forward. Played with the adjuster to every setting. I'm back to the stock triggers, cause that there just aint safe.

Not sure if anybody else got their rideitmoto triggers to work.

wa2txcory

Ya, you may be right. These are the rideitmoto shorty levers. This is the second pair. The first pair were really tight fit and the brake would not release after I squeezed it. I had to manually push it back out for it to disengage the brake. I got another pair thinking it was me. Same thing. Got the bolt to catch finally. Very tight fit with the lever. Squeeze the trigger, put the bike in neutral, bike won't budge. Push out the lever, bike rolls forward. I'm back to the stock triggers, cause that there just aint safe. Not sure if anybody else got their rideitmoto triggers to work.

WHen I first installed them, especially the brake lever I did it really tight and they wouldnt release like this also. I put a little semi-permanent locktite on the screw and tightened just to the point where it would catch and then I went 1/4 looser and they now work fine???? Might be that you are tightening them too much. Although again, I am def no expert here as mine were the first I have done.

V

Vapordan

Went back and tried again. It's definitely the levers; they are too thick. I put some grease in there and hand tightened the pivot bolt. Same shit. I got exactly what I paid for - I'm gonna stick to genuine parts or parts that are a verified fit from now on.

lyric911

Went back and tried again. It's definitely the levers; they are too thick. I put some grease in there and hand tightened the pivot bolt. Same shit. I got exactly what I paid for - I'm gonna stick to genuine parts or parts that are a verified fit from now on.

If the lever fits in the groove, it's the proper size. That groove doesn't expand/shrink just because a lever isn't in it. I can't fathom what's not working, but I cannot see a single way that the lever is too thick. The Ride it levers are CNC milled. I don't know exactly how tight their tolerances are, but I can almost guarantee it's less than 1/100th of an inch. The screw for the levers goes in like 4+ threads. 1/100th of an inch will not affect that.

Can you show us a picture or even a video of what's not working?

Last edited:
V

Vapordan

It's tapped in with a hammer, I can't manually push it in, that's how tight it fits. The install cannot possibly be wrong; one trigger can only fit on one side, in the correct way because of the pivot mounting hardware attached to the end of the trigger. I don't know what CNC milled specs are but I can definitely tell you the original triggers fit with a slight push-in.

lothodon

Super Moderator
it sounds like you got a bad set OR a set that isn't for the fz8. yamaha is really good about using the same specs bike to bike and year to year but it sounds like your ebay seller messed up.

short or long levers? color? i ask because i have a set of faded gold levers (long) that work great but i don't need any longer. they are ride it moto levers and if anything you could swap your lever part with my mount as i know they work.

you pay shipping they are all yours.

H

Hoover

I have ride it long levers. They fit just fine.
If I tighten the pivot bolt too tight, they bind up. A little locktite on the threads and anti-seize on the shaft helped.

V

Vapordan

Sounds like a good deal, I'll take you up on that if I don't get a pair in Detroit tomorrow.

Fazer401

Ya, you may be right. These are the rideitmoto shorty levers. This is the second pair. The first pair were really tight fit and the brake would not release after I squeezed it. I had to manually push it back out for it to disengage the brake. I got another pair thinking it was me. Same thing. Got the bolt to catch finally. Very tight fit with the lever. Squeeze the trigger, put the bike in neutral, bike won't budge. Push out the lever, bike rolls forward. Played with the adjuster to every setting. I'm back to the stock triggers, cause that there just aint safe.

Not sure if anybody else got their rideitmoto triggers to work.

The brake side tolerance is very tight. If the brake won't return, take some sandpaper and work at both sides of the pivot point. You'll take off the finish,but it will be hidden by the perch. I used JPR and had to sand only the brake side. I wasn't too thrilled that the brake measured .1 mm big at the pivot and the guy at JPR was pretty dismissive. To a machinist, that's not an insignificant amount. Also, clutch adjustment has to be pretty far out or clutch will not engage/disengage properly. They look great,feel great soooo... I like.

Fazer401

Fit

Also +1 to what others said... Grease up the shaft and DO NOT over tighten the bolt. That said, if you have to bang it in,it's not gonna return. Get out the sandpaper. :) And then ask ride it for a discount because they're not EXACTLY plug n play.

V

Vapordan

Yes, I was thinking that myself. I was thinking get out a grinder but it won't be a precision grind. Maybe a dremmel? Something like an 80 grit sand paper will do the job I suspect but that's a lot of elbow grease. I do like how they look though so I may take another shot at them when/if I feel up to it.

Fazer401

dremel is the thing

Yessir, I used a dremel with sandpaper. I started with like 1,000,000,000 grit by hand but after the 10th time trying it and still not springing back I got out the dremel and 2 seconds done. Heres a close-up of the lever that I had to sand, you literally cant see the sanded part one bit...you only need to lightly hit the raised round pivot section that the bolt passes through, i did .05 mm on top and .05 mm on bottom to keep it even lmao.. It's well worth the 2 seconds work, I promise, and I wouldnt be surprised if rideitmoto gives you some money back or something if you make a stink about it. Im with you, I think if a part is cnc'd for a specific application it should be straight up bolt in and go. If not, thats fine, I love to modify stuff, but call it universal and charge less for the part lol. Good luck man

V

Vapordan

Ya, some sandpaper did the trick, about 5 minutes per side and it popped right in. No trouble with the pivot bolt catching either. The clutch lever didn't have a clearance issue; it popped right in. It was just the brake. Now that thing looks a beauty. All I'm missing now is the gold rims fur shizzy.

Fazer401

change your sig

Sweet,congrats. Now you have to change your tagline...you are NOT completely stock and so you cant be proud. Oh well, at least you'll look good riding with a complete and total lack of pride. That doesnt mean you should feel ashamed,you can lack pride without being ashamed..youre just floating in a kinda limbo where your not proud OR ashamed you just ARE. Thats cool,enjoy the lever action.

clemmel

I had already ordered shorty brake and clutch handles from Rideit when I read through this chain. I thought I'd have to do some mods when I got them but I'm happy to say they came today and fit on the bike perfectly. No sandpaper or Dremel necessary.